Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, nobody else wants to point out the guy that runs for the tire?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Coworker and her husband were on I-75 south of Lexington, KY traveling at interstate speed in a full size pickup truck. Trailer tire and wheel from oncoming traffic jumped the divider and center punched their windshield and leading edge of their roof. Mashed the roof down into the seat between them. No injuries. Only covered in glass. If there had been a third passenger, or if the tire had landed 20" left or right...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a brother in Houston. He was driving down the freeway to work at a law firm downtown, and the truck in front of him lost a couple of boxes.

One hit the front of his pickup, and the other went through his windshield on the passenger side.

Both boxes had big aluminum alloy wheels in them.

Truck never stopped.

He called me as he was waiting for the wrecker. I told him to get the wheels and call the manufacturer with the serial numbers, and they could trace it to the distributor.

He told me a car load of black dudes stopped and took the wheels before he could even walk around his pickup. shocked whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Talk about some BAD LUCK!
You can say THAT again!!! Yowza!!

The odds on that happening are astronomical..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by RWE

I wondered about that, too. Souvenir or evidence for the trial?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn; makes my head hurt just by watching it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
You can say THAT again!!! Yowza!!

The odds on that happening are astronomical..

Looks to me like the odds were pretty good. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wrong place at the wrong time.

Sometimes you just can't win even when you are minding your own business.

I wonder how it was explained in the emergency room?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had a 16 inch spare come off from under a Ford 3/4 ton PU i was driving down hwy 41 in Cali a lifetime ago. it flipped the back end of the PU pretty good and i watched in the Rear view mirror as it bounced twice and headed for the front windshield of a Mercedes behind me that was full of college girls. it cleared the top of that car by maybe 2 inches and went into the ditch. still gives me nightmares 50 years later thinking of what it would have done going through that car.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Moving back to Chicago from downstate years ago, my pickup had been making a weird noise for the entire 500 mile trip. I thought it was a driveline noise and had been under the truck repeatedly during the trip looking for the noise.

I made it to Chicago, emptied the heavily loaded truck and trailer and returned downstate. My buddy had followed along driving my car and I took him home to his country hideaway. Leaving his house on his rutted road my front left wheel broke loose and hit me in the elbow so hard I socked myself in the face with my arm.

God must have been looking out for me because if that front wheel had broken off at interstate speed with that trailer and all that weight I think it would have killed me.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, the teenage son of a family friend and his girl friend were driving a Jeep up what was then called the Fairview Hill in Boise. A truck coming down lost a set of duals. It dead centered the windshield of the Jeep and killed them both.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

The magic BB strikes again!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My old man was coming home from bowling 8-10 years ago. It's probably 11 pm, he was about 1/2 mile from the house and met a semi and seen something "glowing" come out from under it. Just clipped it with his bumper, left a ding, bout it. I was coming home from work the next day and see this big black chunk on the shoulder. I turn around and wheel onto the shoulder and grab it. About a 50# piece of brake drum. I damn near crapped myself thinking about what could have happened. Went home and then went down to dads, showed it to him, his eyes got a little wide n he sorta went "hmm". Like no big deal.

Last edited by Matt24; 02/23/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the big trucks have oil lubed bearings. They work great as long as you don't lose a seal and the oil. When that happens, the bearings, drums, etc. get REALLY hot and come apart at high speed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a wheel come off of the bus I was riding in Wyoming. Lug bolts - which had been replaced the day before - all sheared. We heard a noise and looked out the window to see the wheel glance off a brand new dodge diesel and then bounce up and take out a big highway sign. Leveled it.

Responding officer said that he sees it from time to time, and it's usually the result of a repair shop using lug bolts not hardened to DOT requirement. Shop in question told us, when we took the bus in with a couple broken lugs, that DOT says "replace one - replace 'em all", so that makes sense. Now, all the bolts were too soft.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A bit off topic, but I was on a motorcycle behind a half ton pick up one day,..both of us doing about 75, when a 4X8 sheet of half inch plywood came sailing up out of the bed of the truck. It gained about 20' of altitude a lot quicker than you would expect and just slowly spun there for a second before it started coming back down in a haphazard manner,..flitting left and then right while still moving somewhat forward.

For me, it was impossible to judge whether to speed up, slow down, or swerve in either direction.

My mind was still trying to process what to do when I passed under it.

I've had to dodge other obstacles when on a motorcycle, but that flying sheet of plywood takes the cake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The man's wife, stunned by events, said "It is really too bad, he was having a Goodyear up until this happened".

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9.2 grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RWE

You beat me to it. He couldn't give a schit about the guy almost getting killed. He just wanted to catch that tire.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

If he lived, it might be GOOD LUCK.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.