Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I get a new truck every 5 years and I'm in the process of ordering a 2017. My brother married into a family that owns a bunch of car dealerships. I've always driven a GMC. When I was a kid, I worked at their Buick-GMC dealership for a couple of years. It drives my brother crazy because he's the GM at the Ford dealership.

I drive a 2500HD Crew Cab. In 2007, GM messed with the suspension and it was the first year for the 6 speed trans. That was the worst truck I've ever owned. The trans didn't work right and it rode like a piece of crap. It was so bad that in 2012 I almost bought a Ford. I ended up getting a GMC instead and they've reworked everything and it is probably the best truck I've ever owned. It rides like a Cadillac.

There's nothing wrong with a Ford though. I've rented them before and they're really nice. It's just a different flavor. The only problem I see is the durability of the aluminum body. I think that if you add a spray in liner and a rubber mat, it should be fine. I do that anyway.

I'm not a fan of Diamler Chrysler products even though I've got 5 Freightliners. They have their issues.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had quite a few trucks in my time. I bought a new Chev Colorado in 2015. Best truck I ever owned. It's supposed to be a mid-size, but it is only a couple of inches smaller than an F-150. 27 MPG on the highway. With the front seat back all the way, I have a hard time reaching the gas pedal, and I am 6 ft. tall. Can't rate a Dodge. Never had a Dodge truck. Had a Dodge once, but it was a Station wagon and I junked it when the gas tank fell off on the road. To be fair that was a long time ago.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have not bought a GM product since the late 90s. From about 83 or so onward every GM thing we had was junk.

Went wtih ford since and have been rarely wrong there.

Since ford is not an option, I don't have anything bad to say about dodge from friends that have them lately. Other than fuel mileage.

Nephew bought a cummins 2 or so years ago, mega cab thing... best he could get was 8mpg. That sucks.

My stroker will get 15-18 loaded or not at least.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I get a new truck every 5 years and I'm in the process of ordering a 2017. My brother married into a family that owns a bunch of car dealerships. I've always driven a GMC. When I was a kid, I worked at their Buick-GMC dealership for a couple of years. It drives my brother crazy because he's the GM at the Ford dealership.

I drive a 2500HD Crew Cab. In 2007, GM messed with the suspension and it was the first year for the 6 speed trans. That was the worst truck I've ever owned. The trans didn't work right and it rode like a piece of crap. It was so bad that in 2012 I almost bought a Ford. I ended up getting a GMC instead and they've reworked everything and it is probably the best truck I've ever owned. It rides like a Cadillac.

There's nothing wrong with a Ford though. I've rented them before and they're really nice. It's just a different flavor. The only problem I see is the durability of the aluminum body. I think that if you add a spray in liner and a rubber mat, it should be fine. I do that anyway.

I'm not a fan of Diamler Chrysler products even though I've got 5 Freightliners. They have their issues.

Durability of the AL is just a GM false advertising thing you see. In reality it won't be bad for 99% of uses...

3 of my boats are AL and the airboat takes severe abuse and rarely has an issue, maybe a ding, but never a puncture....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495

Nephew bought a cummins 2 or so years ago, mega cab thing... best he could get was 8mpg. That sucks.

Loaded or empty? My '16 gets 15 around town, but about 10mpg pulling the 5th wheel. It gets close to 20 empty hwy and 14-15 with most lighter trailers.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Have a friend who runs the service shop for a construction company. Total of 80 trucks in his fleet from 1/2 ton to 80K GVW that get used and abused everyday. Asked him what he would buy for a 3/4 ton 4WD farm truck. He said out of the current new model trucks, hands down, the new Chevy/GMC with 6.0 or 6.2 liter gas motor with the 8 speed trans. He spends 55-60 hours per week working on trucks. For a "work truck", the current GM gas motor trucks give him the least head ache and cost the least total $$$'s to keep on the job.

My cousin has three trucks he runs in his business. When he started he was friends with the local Chevy dealer so he bought three Chevys. They were in the shop a lot. At the end of three years he sold them and got Toyotas. They were never in the shop and at the end of three years they had better resale value. He's been running Toyotas trouble free for years.

I had three Chevys. My 1970 was so bad at eating starters I finally installed slip tips on the truck wires and did the same for the starter before I stuck into where it was bolted in. The 1974 was in the shop thirteen times in its first 10,000 miles. I got rid of it.

The I got a 1999. I ran it for 126,000 miles. In that time it needed three water pump replacements, three power steering pump replacements, the entire 4X4 computer system replaced, and one rear brake because of faulty factory workmanship.

When I remembered this I left the Chevy dealer. He called and asked about it. So I told him. He won't be calling again.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RyanTX

Loaded or empty? My '16 gets 15 around town, but about 10mpg pulling the 5th wheel. It gets close to 20 empty hwy and 14-15 with most lighter trailers.

Don't know that he's ever had it loaded yet.... was a stupid purchase but it is what it is.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 4x4 GMC Yukon and Suburban were by far the most expensive to maintain vehicles I've owned, due to premature failure of parts.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd buy a Dodge!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RyanTX

Don't know that he's ever had it loaded yet.... was a stupid purchase but it is what it is.

Seems like sometimes you just get a vehicle that's weird that way. We've got a 2010 Chevy here at work with the 5.3. That thing has never gotten better than 11 mpg even on the highway. We've had it in the shop numerous times and they can't find a reason why. We have two other similar configurations and they'll get close to 21 hwy.

Wife had a 99 suburban with the vortec 350 that would only get 9 around town. and 15 hwy. Others were getting 15/22. Who knows with some.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
Wouldn't own a Government Motors

My thoughts too. After the deal that Obama cut with the Unions and left the stockholders hanging, I will never own another GM product. And I had no GM stock. miles

Even though the deal was entirely done by Obama and his minions, you choose to blame GM. Got it.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Terryk
Toyota is the most American. GM is corrupt, Dodge has poor track record.

Sending profits to Japan is American. News to me.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
This thread is making me think about a new one!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by walt501

Internationally traded company, and the highest percentage manufactured in the US. You've lost this argument many times over, even as you continue to shill for the UAW.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My thoughts too. After the deal that Obama cut with the Unions and left the stockholders hanging, I will never own another GM product. And I had no GM stock. miles

Even though the deal was entirely done by Obama and his minions, you choose to blame GM. Got it.

Considering it was a payoff to the GM UAW, and GM begged for it, in addition to having their charge holders and the taxpayers (but not the UAW) screwed by it; yep, f'k'm.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a longtime Ford owner, Dodge would be a pretty easy 2nd choice. One, the Chevys with the square wheel wells look goofy. Two, I think Dodge understands trucks need to be durable.

I don't think the 6.7 Cummins is as refined as the 6.7 Powerstroke, but it's not far behind. Heck, may even get better fuel economy. When my Jeep lease is over I may seriously consider an Ecodiesel for a company car.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/24/17.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco
This thread is making me think about a new one!

Better yet, if you're capable, buy an older one and rebuild from the ground up. Minus all the sensors, relays and other electronic schitt that you'll find in todays vehicles.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager

Internationally traded company, and the highest percentage manufactured in the US. You've lost this argument many times over, even as you continue to shill for the UAW.

Internationally traded company? Not in the USA. And I've yet to loose this argument, as you'll soon find out.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular

Considering it was a payoff to the GM UAW, and GM begged for it, in addition to having their charge holders and the taxpayers (but not the UAW) screwed by it; yep, f'k'm.

Obama's payoff to the UAW. GM didn't beg for what they got.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Obama's payoff to the UAW. GM didn't beg for what they got.

You're a clown and you continue to prove it.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (14idaho, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16penny, 21 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.