Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I dont get the hostility towards these new rounds , yeah theres no big reason to get rid of a good shooting 243 you might already have , but if you are a handloader and looking at a new rifle , what reason is there to choose the 243 over a Creedmoor ?

the Creedmoor is simply a better designed case , a sharper shoulder with a bit longer neck will get you better brass life , less trimming , better throat life , and more flexibility when seating bullets in a short action

some old fudds may not like it , but the Creedmoor case is not going to go away.....

I'm as much of a fudd as anyone, but often the choice for me is determined by the rifles I want as much as by what they eat. When I saw the No.1 V .243s for sale at Whittakers for $879, it took about a minute to decide to put one on layaway and sell my perfectly good Hawkeye AW .243 to help with the purchase. Would've been the same if it had been a 6mm CM, or Remington for that matter. Already had .243 brass and dies, which helps, but wasn't a big factor. The bazillion 6mm bullets piled up on the bench; that's another matter, though the big box of 70gr Varmageddons looks like a wash since the long throat won't let me get near the rifling with those unless I'm okay with a very shallow grip on them.

Nothing wrong with new stuff; just has to be in a rifle I like. With Hornady's new stuff, I wouldn't be worried about them pulling the plug in a couple years either, unlike a couple others I can think of.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a 243 AI that I enjoy shooting.

However, my time is becoming pretty tight with 2 young children.

Things like reloading have taken a back seat, and will for a good many more years.

So the AI is going away in favor of the 6mm Creed. Sending the rifle off this week.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For hunting purposes they are obviously one in the same 243win/6mm creed. Neither makes a diff. As a reloader I have literally been given two 5 gallon buckets of once fired 243 over the past 5 years, doubt that will happen with a 6creed. Since my model seven 243 has consistently been a sub moa rifle to 300 yards( that's as far as I have ever shot it) and kills like a laser beam with 95nbt I won't be switching. If I was to have to pick a factory chambering between the two for long range target shooting and hunting though, the creed would win. I agree that no point in getting rid of a 243 that shoots well to buy the creed, but the creed does have its benefits for long range. If building a custom rifle the 243 wins in my opinion. Faster and more brass on the market. Plus you can AI the 243!

On another note I have a custom 6mmBR 700 action with a varmint profile barrel that will put either one of them to shame with varget and a 105vld goin 2838. The efficiency and accuracy of the BR is unmatched by the win and creed. Surprised it hasn't caught on since mag box is no constraint on the BR and the velocity is very close with much less powder.

I also have a custom 260, and love it too. It's a half MOA rifle. If I didn't reload I would have never considered the 260 though. For the average guy who doesn't reload or build customs, 6.5 creed wins hands down. The 260 can outrun the 6.5 creed all things considered equal, but it's a close race for sure

Remington screwed the pooch years ago, and Hornady has the best marketing group going. They have single handedly brought reliable long range performance to the average guy for affordable prices.

I plan on giving the bergara B14 HMR a try in 6.5 creed by the way. Seems like it would be a fun rifle

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.