-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read this thread and patiently waited for TRH's reply.

It didn't disappoint. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Yes. I have been signed up for many years and hope that my organs will be a help to others.

In heaven, I will be given a new and better body, so I have no need for my old body.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll just leave this here...

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's hope for us yet!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
This...
Originally Posted by centershot
While being an organ donor sounds very noble and can be great for the recipient it can also be a terrible burden on the family of the donor. My cousin was terminally injured in a car accident, the doctors keep him 'alive' until a recipient was ready. That was several days of hell, the hope that he may come out of the induced coma and survive was torture on the family. Something to consider.

And this...
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It's a noble thing. Your family will not be impressed with how you/they are treated. The donor/family are treated like a car in the scrap yard. Hopefully others have had better experiences.

A friend's son had a motorcycle accident several years ago. Significant head trauma. Brain dead shortly after the accident. Mid 20's. Excellent health and physical condition. No "Donor" sticker on his license. However, he had "checked a box" on his license renewal form three years prior. It turned into a goat rodeo. The very first meeting my friend and his wife had with the doctors at the hospital, the doctors started dictating what THEY (the doctors) were going to do, and how THEY (the doctors) were going to manage my friend's son for maximum organ harvest. All about the doctors, and extracting the organs. Zero empathy or emotional support for my friend and his wife. When my friend started to question the doctors, the doctors basically shut him down and told him that he did not have any say. Treated his son's body like their own little piece of property that they would turn over when they were good and ready.

Needless to say, went to court. Guaranteed the lowest 3 days of my friends life. He and his wife went thru (and are still going thru) HELL over the situation. The organ harvest finally prevailed after two appearances in court. One piece of insight did come from the court proceedings. Under oath, the family's attorney asked the doctor responsible for overseeing the organ harvest if HE was an organ donor ? ... He refused to answer. The family's attorney then asked the doctor responsible for the harvest if HIS children were organ donors ? ... Again, he refused to answer. Really sad situation that no grieving family should have to face.

Having said all that, YES, I am an organ donor and my wife is also a donor. However, going in with eyes wide open that while it might be the "noble" thing to do, it will not necessarily be pleasant for the survivors...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've met only one man who had liver transplant. He was a drunk all his life, divorce abandon kids the works. They gave him another liver after he destroyed his from alcohol. He can't drink anymore cause of anti-rejection drugs. Fair system, your call. I figured other more deserving people on the wait list should have been served, yeah I know about the organ match BS, still?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
A few years ago the number of people on waiting lists were at 85,000 and growing.

A donor can save up to 8 lives and contribute 52 parts.

A person on the list dies every 15 min and one goes on it every 13 min.

It would be nice to be able to restrict your organs to conservatives and no druggies.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Do you get to sign over certain things? Or is just a yes or no type situation?

They just take everything, or can you narrow it down to just a kidney or something real specific?

Dave

Well, you dont have to worry about them using your liver. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,464 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.