Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle?

The answer is still no.

answer may be no but you won't have a very effective elk rifle if you shoot subsonic ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle? There's an ad in Bugle magazine showing two hunters with hearing protection and a suppressed rifle. I thought hearing was the argument for hunting with a suppressed rifle.

For the money you spend on a high end suppressor, you could get a decent set of digital ear plugs that will essentially do the same thing as the can without sending in your genetic code to the BATFE, having something hanging off your barrel and all the other hassles of owning one.

Last edited by 4winds; 02/27/17.
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A friend has a 300bo. When he has subsonic loads and his suppressor screwed on it is problably more quiet than a pellet gun. My 6br with my suppressor is pretty good but you still get the crack. ED K

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, nothing surprising from ringmans comment though, always thought Barnum and baileys rings to be funny anyway...

Dude never ceases to amaze with stupidity.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by srwshooter

The answer is still no.

answer may be no but you won't have a very effective elk rifle if you shoot subsonic ammo.

Is this supposed to make sense?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The answer is still no.

do you need a suppresser on a elk rifle , do you need hearing protection for shooting a Elk without a suppresser , the answer is hell no

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ringman.... good to see you reclaim your crown as the biggest dipschitt on the fire. For a while there I was thinking Stickbow and Trystan were vying for a run at the title.... way to reassert our idiotic dominance.

.300 Blackout, 208 Amax at 1000fps.... quiet as hell...

[video:youtube]ABeDsuGw2XM[/video]

Full house .260 loads.... through the same can. As you can tell.... it's much louder, though still quiet enough to shoot sans plugs.

[video:youtube]QUhGfXIubsE[/video]

Suppressed "elk rifle".... .300 WSM full house 180 loads... same can again...

[video:youtube]7LOlruXAcDo[/video]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Anyone ever pull pit duty pulling targets? Don't even think you can do it without hearing protection. When the bullets hits the butts, there is the other end of the sound barrier crack.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Anyone ever pull pit duty pulling targets? Don't even think you can do it without hearing protection. When the bullets hits the butts, there is the other end of the sound barrier crack.

Yes. But they're going overhead. Repeatedly. For hours.

With a can you are to the rear of the source and it's going forward. It's akin to shooting a squirrel with a 22LR. I guess I could run and get some plugs, but I'm not gay.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the suppression of questions about rifles is a very serious problem. We need to be constantly vigilant about such intrusion by the government. Where is the NRA?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
So when shooting a rifle, you don't hear the crack of the sound barrier breaking? Go have another drink.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So when shooting a rifle, you don't hear the crack of the sound barrier breaking?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yes. But they're going overhead. Repeatedly. For hours.

With a can you are to the rear of the source and it's going forward. It's akin to shooting a squirrel with a 22LR. I guess I could run and get some plugs, but I'm not gay.

Clark

Oh, yes you are... laugh

Friend of mine has a surpressed .338 Lapua. Ya you'd be better off wearing hearing protection.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by edk
A friend has a 300bo. When he has subsonic loads and his suppressor screwed on it is problably more quiet than a pellet gun. My 6br with my suppressor is pretty good but you still get the crack. ED K

True.

One problem loading for the .300 Whisper is running close to the speed of sound without going over. You hear the crack when you're over by just a few fps. That round, subsonic, gets pretty weak past a hundred yds. With the 220 gr. bullet, at a hundred it's about like a .45 ACP point blank. So, it kills but falls off pretty fast.

Supersonic suppressed is still noisy. From what I've heard, suppressed supersonic tends to make it harder to tell where the shot came from, but not all that quiet.

DF

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
So when shooting a rifle, you don't hear the crack of the sound barrier breaking?

You tell me. You're the drunken fool making stupid comments.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
ringy, the 6.5 is WAY louder than a subsonic blackout. No matter what BS line your 'friend' feeds you....

I love this kind of answer. You are using one of the same tools I use at times: Ignorant prejudice. Maybe you didn't get the part about the suppressor. Or have you actually done a comparison and you're posting from empirical data?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Used one for the whole hunt in Africa on 7 mag. loved it other than the extra length, made a 7 sound bout like a 22 mag. Also seems to slow the forward motion of the sound as well, animals are seldom spooked quick enough, in case a second shot is needed!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lets see....the last time I heard it thunder was about 1980 so I don't have a problem!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dogshooter,

Thanks for posting the tree videos. I held a digital sound level meter up to your post to see if what you are claiming is correct. The blackout regestered 69dB. The .260 showed 68dB and the .300 came in at 71dB. So it looks like th_e .260 is the quietest.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
Dogshooter,

Thanks for posting the tree videos. I held a digital sound level meter up to your post to see if what you are claiming is correct. The blackout regestered 69Db. The .260 showed 68Db and the .300 came in at 71Db. So it looks like the .260 is the quietest.

Wow.... just wow. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You held a digital meter up to a speaker and played a video to "see if I was correct?" You really are a special kind of stupid...

You should hold that meter next to your ear and hit yourself over the head with a tack hammer.... let us know what it reads.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,019
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.