Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've had cases split from work-hardening over the years and I've had case mouths on 38's split as well. But, I've never had this happen.

These cases have been reloaded twice. The load was recommended to me by the guy at Missouri Bullet Co. It's a 148 gr DEWC over 2.8 gr of Unique.

That is below the book starting level, and I asked him about that and he assured me it was okay and was a 'powder puff" load.

When shooting these loads (4" S&W 686), they were all very soft shooting. They were loaded in a Dillon 550 and were not double charges. Primers were normal and had no signs of pressure. And, again, they were soft shooting.

About 4 of every 6 rounds were splitting like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notice the perfect holes in the nickel cases? Never seen anything like that.

Could being under the min starting load be the issue? I've been reloading for around 20 years and load 10's of thousands of pistol rounds and have never seen anything like these. Of course, these are the only rounds I have ever loaded below the minimum starting load. I only went with that load as he told me because I was getting quite a bit of leading with standard charges, so I called them and this was the load he recommended.

Any thoughts?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A: how do you clean your brass? I'm wondering if the cause is corrosion.
B: I would not go below listed starting loads with a handgun.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
A: how do you clean your brass? I'm wondering if the cause is corrosion.

That was my first thought - a solution containing ammonia.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
They were vibrated in walnut media.

I've got some that have cases from the same batch, but are loaded with 3.8 gr of Unique. These are the ones that I was getting leading with before (the bullets are pretty soft). I never noticed any split cases with those, but I am going to go shoot them some more to see what happens other than leading.

The load above, I shot 30 rds and was only able to salvage about 10 cases from it that didn't split. Didn't get any leading with it though, ha.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No polishing compound on the walnut media? It looks like ammonia contamination to me, in my in-expert opinion.

As to your leading problem, is the lube fairly hard and not sticky or is it soft and gooey? Soft and gooey seems to work best for me.

Have you slugged the cylinder throats and bore. Undersize bullets will lead the bore no matter what you do. I had a mold that leaded my 9mm. I upped the size of the bullets and gave them a good healthy kick in the butt yesterday and after 50rnds yesterday there is no leading in the grooves and just a little smeared on the lands at the bore. Way better than what it had been.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Instead of Missouri Bullet company.Try Dardas Cast Bullets.A lot harder and will help with the leading.
The only time I had those types of splits were in cases that were reloaded many times

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/06/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It was the "red" Lyman walnut media. Will have to look and see if it has ammonia in it. I didn't add anything to it.

Still weird about the perfect circles blown through the sidewalls of the nickel cases. That happened on 3 of them. Two had one hole, the other case had two of them.

The brass is a mix of RP and Winchester. So, not specific to one brand.

The powder is maybe a year old and stored in a cool room. Same with primers.

I haven't checked the throats on this pistol. I reamed the throats on my 45 colts and it made a huge difference in both accuracy and a lack of leading.

I've got several other 38/357's and will try them through them as well.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's weird stuff, but I damn sure wouldn't be loading 2.8grs of Unique. Unique works best when the pressure is up and it can get squirrely with way reduced loads.

2.8grs would be about right for Bullseye

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it came from Lyman, it shouldn't have ammonia in it. They know better. If you're looking for a light 38special load, try 3.8gr of GREEN dot, under a 125gr cast bullet. You can run that right up to 150gr wadcutters. In a K frame, it's just a tad more aggressive than your average 22 and darned accurate.

Stupidity is expensive
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Like Steelhead already said, I'd be loading Bullseye at 2.8 grains rather than Unique.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm definitely done with these loads. Still weird though.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That Lyman red walnut media doesn't have any ammonia in it, or anything to cause those issues. I've used it quite a bit, although I don't anymore because it's so dusty.

However, I also suspect bad brass, somehow. Was it left outside? Is it range pickup of unknown source? Something doesn't seem right there.

The wandering cracks and holes look like what I've seen in corroded brass, either from ammonia or other causes. I'd throw that whole batch out, personally.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
The pretty much full length cracks says bad brass, but I've never seen the round hole thing before.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Ryan, Did you by any chance inspect your cylinders after these things showed up. Did any of this cause any damage to them?
I don't think it should or would have but hell, who knows.

Stupidity is expensive
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Hey Ryan, Did you by any chance inspect your cylinders after these things showed up. Did any of this cause any damage to them?
I don't think it should or would have but hell, who knows.

I thoroughly cleaned the pistol and looked in the cylinders and didn't see anything unusual.

The brass was from factory loads that I purchased and then reloaded after firing. None of it was picked up off of the ground.

I thought about it being a "bad batch" of brass as well, but it was from two different manufacturers.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The little perfectly circular holes in the nickel cases really puzzles me.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RyanTX
The little perfectly circular holes in the nickel cases really puzzles me.

Those holes point to brittle brass, caused by some chemical reaction most likely. Try bending or tearing a couple of the split pieces with needle-nose pliers. What does the brass do?

Work hardened brass would normally split relatively straight down the side, it doesn't look like that.

I agree with other's comments about using Bullseye instead of Unique for that load, but I don't think the load itself is the problem. Could be wrong though.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/06/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Send an email with pictures to Hornady,Remington, Winchester et al and see if one of them will answer the question. They probably won't but what the hey, it's worth an effort.

Stupidity is expensive
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've probably loaded 10,000 .38 spl loads over the years. A light load of 3.6 grains Accurate#2 and a 158 semi wad cutter. They were "plinking" loads only. Some of the brass would go 7-10 reloads before cleaning.

These were all used in a 6" Colt King Cobra.

I've NEVER seen anything like your pictures. WOW....

Have you tried any NEW factory loads to see if you're getting the same results ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I fired some factory Remington loads while I was out there. No issues with those at all.

Didn't have any barrel leading though, ha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 160user, 204guy, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,085
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.