Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Most local drivers around here are fine, four months of winter in the mountains weeds out the bad ones pretty quick. I90 gets a lot of through traffic, I've seen truck drivers with shorts and sandels on the pass in winter. Those type of drivers should stay south, way south. They should have a snow endorsement to make sure they can at least throw chains. Amazing companies would throw clueless drivers in trucks and route them through the mountains in winter, with zero training in snow. I always thought getting stuck on the pass and blocking traffic should be at least $10k and hour fine.

FYI, getting a tow on Mullan pass takes at least 2 hours if the 1968 tow truck in Haugan will even start smile.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Trucks??

This one flipped here in WNY today near a job site I was on. We had just lost power at the house and we were headed back to the office. At least a half dozen flipped today as we had some HD winds. Even 29 train cars went over in Batavia.

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Same reason I90 passes between MT and ID get jacked up every other day, because some fugg stain doesn't think he needs chains when the chains required sign is out. Then instead of stopping when they get stuck, they go full freaking retard and spin the tires until they are fully jack knifed across all possible lanes blocking traffic until a tow rig get get them pulled out.

Chit like that should be automatic 6 months suspension first offense and permanent revocation the second.

I've read this about 5 times now, and just keep laughing. That is some damn fine descriptive writing! Not a word wasted and I can picture it very clearly, plus your recommended punishment is spot on....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
GPS can be a big rigs best friend and worse enemy at same time .

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
probably following his gps. i have seen some trucks on roads that are barely passable with a car. gps takes away everyones common sense.
Normally, a GPS (Garmin, anyway) will set you up with the best route. Stay on it and you'll get there.
It's when you start 2d guessing the device that you get in trouble. If you leave the set route, it will find what it thinks is the next best route. If you leave that, it'll keep on finding roads of some kind, no matter what they look like.
Getting screwed by your GPS is almost always user error.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just typical brain dead truckie!! Dumber than a box of goat $hit

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl

When all was said and done, I think that this cost our company about $10k back in the day.

And this kind of crap happens everyday. When asked why ? Our driver responded "I wanted to take the scenic route".

I would have fired him on the spot, w/o hesitation, & told him to take the scenic route home.

I agree with WyoGal, need more drug testing of truck drivers. The only thing "professional" about them is that they have a CDL.

MM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am an over the road truck driver. I drive between South Carolina and Laredo Texas. Heavy snow down here is 2 inches.
And rarely do you see that.

That is really wild, a mountain pass where you cannot pull a trailer in winter due to steep grades and heavy snow. I never heard of such a thing.
I love the snow but I would not want to go near such conditions in the Big Rig.

Why do truckers disobey these rules? Because they are selfish dumb asses.
They certainly ought to increase the penalties. Hell the rules are plain and simple.
Why not revoke the CDL for six months? That would put a quick stop to this BS.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I agree with WyoGal, need more drug testing of truck drivers. The only thing "professional" about them is that they have a CDL.

MM

EVERY interstate truck driver is drug tested before starting a new job, and under a random drug and alcohol testing regime while holding a commercial driving job. Most any on-the-road incident, including accidents, require immediate post-event drug and alcohol testing.

As far as driving on snow, our record for our run from Grace, Idaho to Vancouver, B.C for "chains on" mileage, one way was 274 miles this year. I just bought the third complete set for the truck this season.

If you like to have toilet paper to wipe with, thank a trucker....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What possesses a truck driver to do this sort of thing?

Biggest reason is "employee turnover" not to mention a huge need for more experienced drivers"... federal laws that were changed about 15 years ago aren't obliging or favorable to long term employment of experienced drivers, resulting in new breed who aren't really interested in much of anything! Much less safety!

Phil

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What percentage of any demographic have you met that seems "bright enought?"

CDL holders are no different.

I hope this answers your question.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Remember, 49% of any group is below average, and the lowest 10% is WAY below average.

When the teacher graded on the curve, 10% of the class got an F, usually for very good reasons, but they were still out there on the playground, every day. And you had to keep your eye on them. And you still do.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Remember, 49% of any group is below average, and the lowest 10% is WAY below average.

When the teacher graded on the curve, 10% of the class got an F, usually for very good reasons, but they were still out there on the playground, every day. And you had to keep your eye on them. And you still do.

Truer words never spoken!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by Seafire

Gee that's my neighborhood.... your company isn't the only one...

makes me wonder if such drivers aren't Mexicans....

on the way down to the Tonto Basin, in Nevada at the Junction of US 95 and US 6, north of Tonopah, they were doing road construction...

I came thru there at 10 at night... the road was blocked, and was told the highway was closed...

they had had the road, with one lane closed and a Pilot Car to lead traffic thru the 10 miles of construction...

earlier at 3 PM, they had a batch of cars lined up, waiting for the pilot car... and some Semi didn't want to stop for it all...so he just accelerated around past the flaggers...

Unfortunately a semi was heading out of the North Bound traffic, that the pilot car had just brought thru... the Renegade Trucker, either had the choice of hitting that Semi Head at about 80 mph, or crash into a bunch of parked cars with people who'd been waiting for their turn to follow the pilot car...

he chose the latter.... Killed 5 people, plus messed up a bunch of others...at the time they were sure how many he'd killed, because officials and emergency crews hadn't got their to respond.... even by 10 Pm, the dead were still in the cars they had been killed in...

The south bound truck that didn't want to stop was driven by a Mexican, high on meth, cabin smelled like he'd been smoking dope which was found in the cab, along with empty alcohol bottles.... he's here illegally.. driving for some Trucking outfit ( Hispanic Owned) out of LA....

I took the 150 mile detour.. a lot of other vehicles idling around at 10 PM were there, as they didn't have the fuel to take the detour... there was no fuel on it... they needed to fill up in Tonopah... heard they opened the road about 7 the next morning...

had my wife, who I called at home, looking for it being on the news, and all she found was that the highway was closed, and not much else... guess the politically correct media didn't want to slander an upstanding Mexican Citizen.....

and the 5 people killed just didn't matter...

I got my story from one of the Highway Workers, who was directing people where to turn 5 miles down the detour... he was out there by himself and no other vehicles in sight...

I wonder if they just deported the Mexican...

he'd been deported multiple times according to the Highway worker, who got that from one of the Nevada State Troopers... plus the trucker had spent time in jail in California for pulling this running the construction area flaggers once before...

you just know he'll be back driving truck once again, unless Trump's Administration clamps down on this illegal immigration crap...

Fact check....

http://pvtimes.com/tonopah/esmeralda-crash-claims-lives-two-locals-closing-highway-11-hours

Slavey,

Glad you found that.. I've been unable to with the Google Search efforts.....

that would be the location... but what is reported and what I was told by two people directing detour traffic at 10 at night, they told an entirely different story... but two told the same story, at two check points, 5 miles apart...

either they had their facts wrong or the media is covering up politically incorrect stuff...I did see 3 cars off the side of the road that were demolished... about the size of a Mazda 3, or VW Rabbit/Golf...

do know the route was blocked from 3 PM to 7 AM the next morning...

and there were a lot of cars waiting it out, not having the fuel to take the 150 mile detour...which came out just north of Beatty...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Biggest reason is "employee turnover" not to mention a huge need for more experienced drivers"... federal laws that were changed about 15 years ago aren't obliging or favorable to long term employment of experienced drivers, resulting in new breed who aren't really interested in much of anything! Much less safety!

Phil

I remember hearing something on this from a friend of mine, who comes from a family trucking company. His dad started the company, and both dad and sons made a good name of it for many years. It seems that about 15years ago or so, things changed relative to Federal laws. That's about when my friend sold the the company, and got his college degree, and changed professions, at the age of 52. He did well for himself.
I have another friend, who has driven truck as a second profession now for 25yrs or so. He's 72yr old and now drives local routes.
Yes, I'm grateful to those who have dedicated many years to the trucking profession, who were conscientious drivers, who obeyed the laws, and didn't do drugs or booze.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Last Summer at a business the shipping guy told me some towel head Paki backed in. The shipping guy went out and there was a goat sticking his head out the drivers window. I can't imagine the smell.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Owl

When all was said and done, I think that this cost our company about $10k back in the day.

And this kind of crap happens everyday. When asked why ? Our driver responded "I wanted to take the scenic route".

I would have fired him on the spot, w/o hesitation, & told him to take the scenic route home.

MM
I piss in a bottle for drug tests all the time. Pre employment, random tests, any accident that results in a personal injury or tow away of car/truck. Breathalyzer on demand at any time. How many more times would you like? There's more problems with doped up or drunk car drivers.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe do a brain scan to see what's up there on most!! ooooooooooops another empty space !!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Phil

I remember hearing something on this from a friend of mine, who comes from a family trucking company. His dad started the company, and both dad and sons made a good name of it for many years. It seems that about 15years ago or so, things changed relative to Federal laws. That's about when my friend sold the the company, and got his college degree, and changed professions, at the age of 52. He did well for himself.
I have another friend, who has driven truck as a second profession now for 25yrs or so. He's 72yr old and now drives local routes.
Yes, I'm grateful to those who have dedicated many years to the trucking profession, who were conscientious drivers, who obeyed the laws, and didn't do drugs or booze.

I also distinctly remember a gal, I briefly knew back around 2007, who had bipolar disorder, who was a trainer driver, for a company that "will not be named." She took new hires out on her runs, and then signed them off to drive solo. By her own words, when she had a JIT load and was running behind, she would stop taking her bipolar meds, which then would make her manic. In her manic state, she was fearless, driving like a demon to get that load where it needed to go, on time. She drove out of Denver.
Every time I saw a truck with that company logo on the road, I'd stay waaay the heck away from it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, when they were building the stretch of I-84 between Boise and Mtn Home, ID, there was a line of cars stopped waiting for a pilot car. A Garrett Freight Line driver pulling triples hit the back of the line at 60. I don't remember the details but there were some people killed. It was pretty ugly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (06hunter59, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 270wsmnutt, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 13,210 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,875
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.