Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 50 of 63 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 62 63
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Damn if that place ain't producing BETTER points!

Good finds!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Cinch
Anyone ever found any Indian trade beads?

Yes. Found a few when I was a kid. Both blue.

Found a primitive turquoise ground flat bead as well. Found most of them in or around red ant beds.

Red ant beds were the prime area for finding trade beads. When I was a small kid (and dad was still a member of the old Texas archaeological society) we were gifted 15 gallons of ant mound dirt. We found a bead or two.

While I was doing volunteer archaeological work at Presidio Los Ades state historical site at Robeline Louisiana we wet screened all the dirt from the test pits. We found lots of beads here, by this method! All basic Venetian glass beads.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/26/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking points! Love this thread!

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Here are a couple that I have collected from the lake shores...depends on the ice as to what is unearthed. Always amazed that even a scrap survives hundreds of years, more aptly hundreds of freeze-thaw cycles. Holds up better than our roads! Would love to find a larger piece but not likely when it comes to pottery shards in the upper midwest.

Love looking at these and pondering the patterns etched on them..pieces of string and fingernails from long before my time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Benny break a piece or two and see what the unweathered inside looks like. If it looks a rock then these pieces are weathered rocks. Pottery will have a different color and tiny bits and pieces of other materials such ground pottery or sand in the matrix (called temper). Post some pics of the fresh edge here on the fire.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some points of interest

Attached Images
resize 24hr.jpg (76.05 KB, 74 downloads)

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a hip bone of a bison calf with a flint point buried in it. The point protrudes slightly out the other side. It was found in SW Utah. I purchased it 25 years ago from the person that found it. I took it to the Michigan State museum and had it identified. They told me it came from a dry climate and had laid on the surface. They guessed it to be 150-200 years old

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love this thread

Life is just one damned thing after another
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
This is a hip bone of a bison calf with a flint point buried in it. The point protrudes slightly out the other side. It was found in SW Utah. I purchased it 25 years ago from the person that found it. I took it to the Michigan State museum and had it identified. They told me it came from a dry climate and had laid on the surface. They guessed it to be 150-200 years old

[Linked Image]

Think of the odds of finding that.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1

[Linked Image]

Think of the odds of finding that.

If you have a find like that, that is indeed authentic, they are very, very rare.

It can be verified and have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) by one of several places that offer such.

Unfortunately, starting around 1950's there have been numerous people making fakes. Some are done with authentic points in ancient bone. (Those are the better ones)
Some are fake points in more recent bones.

For every authentic piece like that, there are 10's of thousands of fakes.

Either way, they make for an interesting conversation piece.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's an awesome piece Lh1...

Public landowner...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Both of those petrified wood?

Beautiful specimens..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Found a primitive turquoise ground flat bead as well. Found most of them in or around red ant beds.

Red ant beds were the prime area for finding trade beads. When I was a small kid (and dad was still a member of the old Texas archaeological society) we were gifted 15 gallons of ant mound dirt. We found a bead or two.

While I was doing volunteer archaeological work at Presidio Los Ades state historical site at Robeline Louisiana we wet screened all the dirt from the test pits. We found lots of beads here, by this method! All basic Venetian glass beads.

I heard you need to do it on a cold morning to avoid any angry confrontation with the ants...
[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

I heard you need to do it on a cold morning to avoid any angry confrontation with the ants...
[Linked Image]

laugh !!!

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image]

laugh !!!

Those beads are sweet. What is the fire ant connection? I have images of some poor bastard tied to a stake...but doubt the colony stays put that long. I don' think those trade beads had any widespread use up here, although my hunting techniques would not turn up many...tend to move fast through plowed fields after the first heavy rain.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Here are a couple that I have collected from the lake shores...depends on the ice as to what is unearthed. Always amazed that even a scrap survives hundreds of years, more aptly hundreds of freeze-thaw cycles. Holds up better than our roads! Would love to find a larger piece but not likely when it comes to pottery shards in the upper midwest.

Love looking at these and pondering the patterns etched on them..pieces of string and fingernails from long before my time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Benny break a piece or two and see what the unweathered inside looks like. If it looks a rock then these pieces are weathered rocks. Pottery will have a different color and tiny bits and pieces of other materials such ground pottery or sand in the matrix (called temper). Post some pics of the fresh edge here on the fire.

I don't need to break anything in half. Those are most definitely pottery. I find most after the lake recedes during a winter where the ice really chews up the shore. Plenty of them are already broken revealing the clay/substrate mixture they are made of. My photography skills are not the best, if they were you would see markings on them of patterns made by string, fingernails and tool marks. Definitely NOT a box of old rocks, ROFLMAO...

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
2 good'uns, 2 busted tips and 3 busted bases today.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How come you're finding more there, Don?

Wind or rain erode some areas for you?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Westside B

Not fire ants, red ants. Well the ants are a secondary thing. They need to have their mounds located in a known,historic (post contact) archaeological sight. The ants do the work of bringing the beads to the surface( like the do the little bits of gravel et al), as they build tunnels.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/27/17.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How come you're finding more there, Don?

Wind or rain erode some areas for you?

I got sick of never finding anything, so I harrowed up an area last fall about 60x150 where the most stuff was found. We've had some 60 mph winds and a couple of nice, wet snows. The weatherman is calling for more rain tomorrow and saturday so I worked it up again this afternoon after finding this batch.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Page 50 of 63 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.