Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
I never clamp on the stock but on the barrel right ahead of the forearm. You can make it good and tight without making any marks and guaranteed not to move.

Like this.

[Linked Image]

+1. I just use a smooth-jawed vise with a thin piece of carpet to pad the jaws. You can't come close to clamping a stock as tight as you can a barrel. That comes in handy when you have to lean on something. Like separating the stock from the barreled action on a tight bedding job. And it takes about two seconds to spin the barrel in the vise to place the rifle at whatever angle is easiest for you to work on the rifle.

I have a little space at the end of the bench where I put a small trash can, it goes right under the muzzle. It's really handy for catching spent cleaning patches and the extra Wipeout foam when I use that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the Midway version for about 15 years, it works fine.

[Linked Image]

Dave

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Nice work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Roundoak,
I made mine from oak
Not quite that nice, but it has worked for many years.

My son built the vise out of Oak, too. 1 3/4" and 3/4" board, 1" and 3/4" dowels and 1/4" panels. In addition, he glued rough out leather on appropriate places.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I made this one quite a few years ago and still use it

[Linked Image]

Saddlesore, is that routered hole in the base a hand hold?

I have been thinking about attaching a piece to the vise so I can hang it on the wall to save bench space.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
I never clamp on the stock but on the barrel right ahead of the forearm. You can make it good and tight without making any marks and guaranteed not to move.

Like this.

[Linked Image]

+1. I just use a smooth-jawed vise with a thin piece of carpet to pad the jaws. You can't come close to clamping a stock as tight as you can a barrel. That comes in handy when you have to lean on something. Like separating the stock from the barreled action on a tight bedding job. And it takes about two seconds to spin the barrel in the vise to place the rifle at whatever angle is easiest for you to work on the rifle.

I have a little space at the end of the bench where I put a small trash can, it goes right under the muzzle. It's really handy for catching spent cleaning patches and the extra Wipeout foam when I use that.

Yepper. I clean guns the exact way. The vise method is quick and handy no matter what work you're doing on a gun. Personally I'll never bother trying to come up with something different.

The only thing I would caution folks on using this method, is that you have unyielding steel clamped tightly with the full length of wooden stock hanging out there unsupported. That's a lot of leverage. I'm always mindfull of that when working around the butt end of the rifle. The front end is not going to give, get complacent and walk into the stock sideways or use it to lean off of to reach and grab something and you might get a busted stock.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Some really fine creations here!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bought a couple of the Midway version of the Tipton gun vise when they first came out. Place a rubber mat, piece of cardboard, or carpet under neath it and through a 2" truckers ratchet strap across the base and underneath bench tightening it up and rifle isn't going to move at all while working on it, works great that way particularly at the range while cleaning.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always drive my semi to the range so I have a strap with me.....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I doubt if you even know how!

Phil

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I made this one quite a few years ago and still use it

[Linked Image]

Saddlesore, is that routered hole in the base a hand hold?

I have been thinking about attaching a piece to the vise so I can hang it on the wall to save bench space.

Works as a hand hole,but I put it in so levers from lever guns can stick down thru it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.