Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I know there's alot of ingenious and creative folks here.
Do you have any examples of, or ideas for building an economical gun vise, one for securing a rifle to clean or work on?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Urathane here but sometimes leather or wood jaws

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

now i like that! good one.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hard to beat for only $43...........

MTM Gun Vise

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

now i like that! good one.

Could have been based off an old truck wheel for even greater DIY coolness - not that it's lacking - just saying. I have always wanted on like it really. Well done HM!

I just use a couple parrot vices vizes. Table top space is at a premium throughout my world.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 03/11/17. Reason: lol

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
thanks for spelling "VISE" correctly.
good luck with the project

W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ranger99
thanks for spelling "VISE" correctly.
good luck with the project

grin laugh Yeah, coulda gotten some REALLY interesting suggestions, had I used the incorrect spelling. whistle

Thanks to all for the pics and ideas so far.
Yeah the MTM , pretty economical price.

I have scrap lumber and a fair amt of tools and stuff.
Would like to see what I can construct, if possible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son built this one for me in shop class.

[Linked Image]

The Plano Shooters Case is very handy, especially at the range and on hunting trips. I think I paid $30.00 for it locally.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your son has some serious wood working skills!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Roundoak,
I made mine from oak
Not quite that nice, but it has worked for many years.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a regular bench vise like Tedthorn and MtnBoomer posted. Mine has a square channel and I just notched out 2 pieces of plywood so they sit down over the channel and the top sits flush or slightly higher than the top of the jaws. Throw those 2 pieces of plywood in and in 2 seconds its a gun vise.

I never clamp on the stock but on the barrel right ahead of the forearm. You can make it good and tight without making any marks and guaranteed not to move.

Like this.

[Linked Image]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wyogal, for discussion sake here's a few more ways of doing it. It'd be via mail of course, but if you need any special pieces cut, just say the word...

About simple as simple gets. For awhile I used a clamp like this gripping the butt and laid the forearm on a stack of books. There's lots of pics of other simple to make rigs set up with these clamps.
[Linked Image]
Here's a nifty little butt clamping strategy that appears several times on a search for DIY gun vise...
[Linked Image]
I nearly bought one of these Tipton units. I'd much rather suffer it than the other retail models I've seen. Good Luck!
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I added over sized wooden jaws with rubber sheets contact cemented to the wood to this inexpensive carpenter's vise from Harbor Freight. I use it for all sorts of rifle work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/vises-anvils/6-inch-portable-carpenters-vise-95203.html

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/11/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I nearly bought one of these Tipton units. I'd much rather suffer it than the other retail models I've seen. Good Luck!
[Linked Image]

I bought one of those a week or two ago for half price at Cabela's. It's the Tipton with Cabela's on it. They've redesigned the front rest with shallower but wider notches. It allows a "normal" width fore end to drop below horizontal, which is fine for cleaning but not what I wanted for scope mounting so took it back. I'll continue suffering my Outers rest with a rear clamping support until I find something better.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I made this one quite a few years ago and still use it

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
[Linked Image]

I bought one of those a week or two ago for half price at Cabela's. It's the Tipton with Cabela's on it. They've redesigned the front rest with shallower but wider notches. It allows a "normal" width fore end to drop below horizontal, which is fine for cleaning but not what I wanted for scope mounting so took it back. I'll continue suffering my Outers rest with a rear clamping support until I find something better.

Had one of those for years.

Not as nice as Don's though. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Many thanks to all for the great ideas. Multipurpose, re-purposing, etc. Yard sales right around the corner.
Now I'm ready, and now got an idea what kinds of stuff I'm looking for, to make a gun vise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice ideas, gentlemen.
Deerstalker, very nice work. I might borrow that design, and add adustable screw legs. Nice attention to detail.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Many thanks to all for the great ideas. Multipurpose, re-purposing, etc. Yard sales right around the corner.
Now I'm ready, and now got an idea what kinds of stuff I'm looking for, to make a gun vise.

Funny you should say that!

That's where I got mine. Cost me
$5. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.