Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Gee, you have great deal there! Better than most public land in the west. Enjoy!

Molon Labe
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by geedubya
Hiked in about a half mile to get to a clearing that was probably 150 yds wide by 300 yds. long.

GW: I think everybody has one of these "one time this happened to me" stories. "One time" stories don't really tell the whole tale though.

I think if you back up to the "hiked in about a half mile and set up on a clearing" you'll have your answer. That's not very far to go to get away from other hunters on public land, in CO or any other state. In fact, it's a recipe to run into just what you ran into. Especially with all the non-residents who come here to hunt our elk and mule deer.

I'd be willing to bet if I lived in a western state such as Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Oregon, the Dakotas, I'd be a public land hunter and have the knowledge and where-withal to do so effectively.

Exactly.

10/4 on that.

You are certainly right on that, and I'm sure if I was a local and some idiot flatlanders were flocking in and messin' up my hunting grounds I'd be pizzed also.

That hunt was a classic. I've worked outside all my life and I was 55 at the time. I'd spent several months stair climbing and walking bleachers to get into shape. The elevation where I live is 52' above sea level. IIRC we were hunting at altitudes between 8,500 and 10,000 ft. above sea level. I rode up two days with a guy that was OCD to the max. About every 15 minutes he’d get out a wet wipe and wipe down his hands and face, then put lotion on his hands. We stopped over night to stay on the way up. He took a shower when we got there, one after dinner and another when he got up the next morning. His truck was brand new and spotless. First thing when I unloaded my four wheeler after we arrived it got stuck in reverse and hit his fender weld and put a dent in it. It was down-hill from there.

Six of us stayed in a tent that had 6 cots and a divider between the cooking/dining area and where we slept. The "leader" of the group was a Dr. that had prostate problems, couldn't see with or without his glasses, and did not ever know where his flashlight was. He'd get up every hour and piss in a gallon coffe can. I know where my [bleep] is and he'd want me to hold the light so he could hit the can rather than pizz on the floor. He did the cooking and his cooking was fer' schit. Guy could burn water. There was a young guy that was friends with one of the older men. He did not hunt. He spent most of his time getting drunk and making fun of one of the older guys. Totally disrespectful.

I was told I could not hunt by myself. I got paired with two 65 year-old + smokers that were scared of the dark. We'd get up at four and drive about two miles to a parking lot. They would sit and smoke till daylight and then get out of the truck. They would walk about 100 yds., then have to stop for 5 to 10 minutes to catch their breath. We'd only make a half mile in 1.5 hours walking in. Then about noon they would want to come back and get lunch.

Go back out about two and then an hour before dark head back in. The first morning I went out with them they told me that they only had a cow tag, and since I had a bull tag, they got to shoot first. About 15 minutes after we got set I spied a bull and several cows about 350 yds away according to my range finder. They fcuked around so long, then decided it was too far of a shot, by then, the bull and cows took off. Only elk I saw on the hoof the whole week.

IIRC the third day I said something to the effect that I'd like to go it alone. I had a four-wheeler, a compass, GPS. Once again I was admonished and was told, “look, the only reason you are here is because one of our regular guys couldn’t make it and we needed someone else to come along to help defray the costs”. As I said in a previous post, I could write a book about that hunt.

I learned quite a bit on that hunt. If I ever do another elk hunt, it will be a hunt with a guide that has the right equipment, or I will do a “drop camp” hunt far enough out that road hunters and tourists like me can’t get there without assistance.

My Montana hunt was a ball

Didn’t kill an elk as the Dekkard Flat hunt is a migration hunt, and it was hotter in Bozeman that week than it was in Miami Florida. I think it got up to 71degrees F on the next to last day.
Met a wonderful family that had lived and guided out of Jardine most of the century. I ended up cooking for the camp the last couple days as the cook quit. Introduced them to some Texas Barking Spider beans, tamales and Mexican corn bread. Marinated the loins from the mule deer I shot, smoked yard bird, Fixed egg taquitos, bacon, sausage, pancakes and biscuits for breakfast and generally put on the dog!
But that’s another story.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/16/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Damn GW, that first hunt makes me want to puke just hearing about it.

I'll be up bowhunting with my son's future FIL this September. He's from near sea level but he's the kind of guy that can handle it. We'll go as hard as he wants to but the important thing is, we'll have fun. Camp in some beautiful country, take a day or two off here and there to fish, bust our asses going uphill a few thousand vertical in the dark, and hopefully get into some elk or stumble across a buck.

But no matter what, we will have fun!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Damn GW, that first hunt makes me want to puke just hearing about it.

I'll be up bowhunting with my son's future FIL this September. He's from near sea level but he's the kind of guy that can handle it. We'll go as hard as he wants to but the important thing is, we'll have fun. Camp in some beautiful country, take a day or two off here and there to fish, bust our asses going uphill a few thousand vertical in the dark, and hopefully get into some elk or stumble across a buck.

But no matter what, we will have fun!!!

That is the key IMHO. At this stage of my life, killing is a bonus! Its about the experience.

Last hunt I went on, I hunted 7 days on what was to be a 6 day hunt due to circumstances. Before I even went on the hunt, I told my guide, the main reason I was going was to hunt with him and the other guy that would be on the hunt with us. They are both known on this forum, but I have not asked their permission to disclose, so they will remain nameless. I did not take an animal, nor even see the designated quarry. However it was one the best life/hunting experiences I can remember.

Once again, a story for another time. I can honestly say I met wonderful folks, made friend and have pix and experiences I will remember the rest of my days!

Hope I'm around to see pix of ya'll hunt!

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, just grab a bow and come up and join us.

And take yer own damn pics! You can even bokeh if you want. grin

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Gee, you have great deal there! Better than most public land in the west. Enjoy!

I do believe, without a doubt I am fortunate. Not having hunted the west much, I will take your word for it.

I'll be going back up next Thursday thru Sunday or Monday. Hope to take another tom. Gonna set up a dozen snares and re-condition a hog trap.

Here is something that I posted a while back on another forum. Whether my next trip pans out as good, Quien Sabe, but that's why they call it hunting.

Killer Weekend......

It was a killer weekend, and an extended weekend at that. Got away on Wednesday. Thought I’d start the weekend a wee bit early. Killer.

I’ve mentioned before IIRC that I’ve been going to my lease at least monthly for years now.

The buzzards have come to recognize my truck. When they see me coming into camp, they tell all their friends and relatives, “Gdub’s here, we’ll be eating high on the hog pretty soon. Ya’ll come”.

[Linked Image]

It turned out to be a “roll your own” weekend.

[Linked Image]

The temps were a balmy 102 in the shade, and a might hotter in the sun (that's 113 F).

[Linked Image]

Shot four hogs

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Just about perfect shot placement. 325 WSM, 200 gr. Accubond, 168 yds. DRT.

Blooded the Merkel

[Linked Image]
Merkel K1 Stalking Rifle, 9.3 x 74R, 286 gr. Nosler Partitions

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Snared two more.

[Linked Image]

Just find a "pig highway" where they are coming through the fence.

[Linked Image]

Deer don't go there.

[Linked Image]

Been doing it for years and never caught anything but hogs. After that, it's just like running a trot-line. My bud and I had 8 snares set out Friday and Saturday nights. Two tripped with nothing, caught two more. An easy and fun way to make meat.

[Linked Image]

Also did some night time varmint calling, but the fox and coyote didn't co-operate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
223 AI, and XLR 250 Kill Light.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
However, the bunnies were more co-operative.

[Linked Image]

May have found a new pastime. Bunny sniping at night. Just aim for the eyeball glowing in the light.

[Linked Image]

Well boys and girls, the sun is setting in the west so, see ya’ll later.

ya!

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, just grab a bow and come up and join us.

And take yer own damn pics! You can even bokeh if you want. grin

Prolly would not hunt.

I can cook and skin game, make a pretty good camp bitch, tale a yarn or two and hold my liquor. I maybe not as good as Stick, but I take a pretty mean bokeh!

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Perfect!! You have a driver's license right? We'll need ya to run into town for more beer, at least once.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
yes, I have a DL.

However, I usually hit camp with three 160 qt. coolers, a yeti soft side, and both a yeti and pelican 45 quart coolers full!

if we need more beer, will prolly have to float in in a canoe!

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, so maybe only one trip to town.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
BUNCH of good posts in a row GeeDub! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I pay $1,800 per year to hunt a 1,700 acre pasture out of a +/- 65,000 acre low fenced/no fenced ranch. I also pay for an annual hunting permit, trappers license and upland bird stamp. That would be about $150 in license fees.
I can go any time I want and stay as long as I want. I am 20 miles from the nearest town and 6 miles from the nearest paved road. Most times I can be there a week and never see another soul other than my buds. Many times I'll go three or four days and never hear a shot. I have a generator, 28 foot RV, and an ATV that stays there. I bring in everything I need and don't have to worry about going to town for anything.

I have been on this property since 2004 and have seen the ranch manager 2 times. We abide by the rules and regulations set by TPWD, but other than that we are on our own. I kill dove, quail, turkey, exotic deer and sheep, white-tail deer, hogs,coons, coyotes, bobcat, cacomistle. I've had elk wander through as well as cougar.

Perhaps its just my ignorance but I'm as happy with my situation as is a pig in slop!

just sayin!

GWB

Amen brother. My reasons for doing so on two different places are much the same.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GWB - very nice posts, and pictures!!!

I hunted in Peru - very much like hunting out west for coues deer... Texas is different and the 2 times I've been out I sat in a blind. Not as active, but the way it needed to be done due to circumstances...
As the saying goes - whne in Rome, do as the romans do.
Running those fence lines for hogs must be fun, as well as bunny sniping.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearslayer
is it true in texas you have to pay for all the game you hunt? no public land,i thought you were the home of the free.just saying i would not want to live under a landowners finger.

So don't come here. We'll be fine without you.

Kelly
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
There is no public land in Idaho, so I would strongly suggest heading elsewhere.

Spot on and all the way to Canada from my place.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Elks,

One will never hear me "down" how another man hunts. From my experience, he does so according to local custom. Many folk have a hunting heritage that stretches back many moons.

We had a place where I practically grew up. It was only 145 acres, but it was surrounded by 4,500 acres of land that was owned by two old spinsters that lived in Arkansas and leased it for cattle grazing and timber. Our place had a mile of creek frontage and my dad had a 4 acre tank dug. So I grew up running the creeks and woods of east Texas. I'd leave out in the morning with a sandwich, tater chips, a short "brush" rod with a Zebco 202 reel and a model 63 Winchester. Sometimes I'd not come back till dark.
I'd catch bass, crappie, goggle-eye perch, bream, gaspergoo, gar, blue, yellow and mud catfish. Shoot turtles, snakes and bullfrogs. In the winter I'd shoot wood ducks on the creek. Our pond was clear, clean and fed by a 4" well. Shoot duck and geese off it. In the spring robins would come in by the thousands and I'd kill them by the hundreds with my model 63 Win. Hunted rabbit, squirrel, fox, deer, hogs, woodcock and killed truckloads of armadillos. After hunting there for 46 years I knew the area like the back of my hand.

I've been leasing in the Texas hill country since 1999 and have been on four different ranches. I'm usually afield 60 to 90 days a year. Consequently over a period of time I get to know where the turkey will be roosting and which part of the lease they will be traveling. I know where quail are likely to be. We have no live water on my current lease, rather there are 4 gravity flow cisterns that have water troughs for the cattle that the landowner brings in each year. Critters need water and dove and Turkey usually visit morning and evening. I know where the fox, bobcat, coyote and Aoudad are likely to be. I keep a GPS with about 20 different landmarks, and gear to stay out overnight should I get caught short.

I do purchase an annual hunting permit that allows me to hunt different areas of the state, but other than dove hunting, I've no need to do public land

The thing about the 4 hunts I've done out of state, 3 of which were on public land that each had in common, I was a newbie/furriner. This was not my "country" and as such, I did not know the lay of the land. I'd be willing to bet if I lived in a western state such as Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Oregon, the Dakotas, I'd be a public land hunter and have the knowledge and where-withal to do so effectively.

ya!

GWB

Spot on GW. I, a NorCal'er, learned the public land outside of Leadville Colorado and filled every tag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by bearslayer
is it true in texas you have to pay for all the game you hunt? no public land,i thought you were the home of the free.just saying i would not want to live under a landowners finger.

So don't come here. We'll be fine without you.

I take a somewhat different tack. Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate. Lord knows at my age I do not need any more enemies.

So Bearslayer, you ought to come to Texas a do a hunt and see whether that it would be enjoyable or whether it offends your ethics as a hunter.

I've had the pleasure of hosting a few folks from different states

Here is a tale of one of those instances......

I titled this post, "The Petting Zoo Chronicles" in deference to a certain Alaskan that seems to appreciate all things Texan.

Kinda long, but what the hey!

It’s amazing what a fellow can learn .. Been doing something all my life and found out I was mistaken.

Over the last year I’ve learned that what we do here in Texas is not hunting.

[Linked Image]

Seems if there are fences, gates, ATV/golfcarts and spin cast feeders it’s something else.

So with that in mind I invited a fellow whose handle is Chas05 to come down for some “Pig Carnage” AKA “fun with guns” at my 1,700 acre playpen (out of 50,000 or so acres) affectionately known as the “petting zoo”.

One thing we do have is pigs!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And fun we did have. And carnage we did wrek. LOL.

A while back Chas05 and I had a PM exchange and got to talking about coming down to Texas and shooting some hoglets.

I asked Chas05 if he had a problem with gates, fences, golf carts, Rib-eye steaks or Jim Beam Whiskey.

I love the opportunity to show folks the Texas I know and love. Chas05 and his son J came in Thursday a week ago, stayed through the Memorial Day weekend and left on Monday. I for one had a ball. Great guys.

We got to the lease late Thursday eve, and had a few brews, ended up staying up way too late listening to tunes and getting acquainted. Slept in Friday morning.
We rode the 4 wheelers over the 1,700 acre pasture that is my lease Friday morning and made plans for the evening hunt.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,281
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.