Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Autofive
BH ,I hunt 7P,but I am a member of a club in 40.
I've seen some slammer bucks taken out of 7P and 7M over the years. No antler restrictions needed if you ask me. Two guys I work with got bruisers out of 7M last season. An 8 point that scored 134 and dressed at 190 and an 11 point that scored 151. I got a 9 point that scores 114 and a 10 point that scores 136 out of 7P a few years ago myself and I am not a trophy hunter.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's pretty easy, if you don't want to shoot a dink, don't shoot a dink. I'm not sure why states need to legislate it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's pretty easy, if you don't want to shoot a dink, don't shoot a dink. I'm not sure why states need to legislate it.

Its very simple actually, people shooting what they WANT does not work for the trophy buck crowd, and if I'm not going to voluntarily do it their way then they are going to make me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 78CJ

Its very simple actually, people shooting what they WANT does not work for the trophy buck crowd, and if I'm not going to voluntarily do it their way then they are going to make me.

EXACTLY!

It's funny that guys that say they want less government intrusion seem to be in favor of more government intrusion.

It's difficult to get some out of the nanny state of mind.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by battue
There are more of them every season.

Can't comment on NY, but in Pa it was a GC decision. Based on a few issues. Excess Deer for food supply and some insurance input with regards the number of Deer/Car collisions. Didn't hear a single comment from either side that had anything to do with how one hunts.

I was in a State Farm meeting in Pa. where the insurance company bragged about pressuring the State into changing game laws to save them money. Do you remember in the late 80s-through about 91 or 92 when you could literally kill five deer a year without even hunting.......

The numbers STATE FARM showed usat the time were :
1750.00 dollars per deer hit incident x 50000 deer incidents reported = 87,500,000 dollars spend on deer repairs average.

Last edited by wyoming260; 03/18/17.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked great in Pa, not sure why it wouldn't work in NY. Give it a chance, I bet you're going to be glad you did. For 20+ years 8 points were hard to come by At out camp in nw Pa, usually a 15 inch 6 point was a good buck. I've killed 6 8 pointers, a couple 7's since the restrictions came into effect, and a big ten this year. I passed on a 17 inch 8 point on the first morning, that would have been absolute insanity when I was a teenager.

MM

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 03/18/17.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 78CJ

EXACTLY!

It's funny that guys that say they want less government intrusion seem to be in favor of more government intrusion.

It's difficult to get some out of the nanny state of mind.

Yep, same stuff the Texas Trophy Hunters Association accomplished for much of Texas. A legal buck in my area has to have either an unbranched antler or a 13" inside spread.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Worked great in Pa, not sure why it wouldn't work in NY. Give it a chance, I bet you're going to be glad you did. For 20+ years 8 points were hard to come by At out camp in nw Pa, usually a 15 inch 6 point was a good buck. I've killed 6 8 pointers, a couple 7's since the restrictions came into effect, and a big ten this year. I passed on a 17 inch 8 point on the first morning, that would have been absolute insanity when I was a teenager.

MM
If big 8 points are numerous and easy to come by now then they aren't trophies anymore. Just common bucks that any dumbazz can get.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
COAST GUARD BOARDING POLICY
To enforce these laws, the Coast Guard is empowered to
board and inspect vessels. Many of the laws can be
successfully enforced only by boarding a vessel while it is
underway. Boardings are not necessarily based on
suspicion that a violation already exists aboard the vessel.
Their purpose is to prevent violations
. The courts have
consistently upheld this authority. All Coast Guard officers
and petty officers are Federal law enforcement officers and
they may board any United States vessel anywhere.

How does it feel to have worked for the nanny State?

Last edited by battue; 03/18/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Our annual buck harvest in NY has gone from 80-90% 1.5 year olds back in the 90's to 55% 1.5 year olds now. There are more 3.5 yr olds and over out there now than ever before in our lifetimes. This is because hunters are voluntarily choosing to pass on younger bucks. Our herd is healthy. We don't need antler restrictions for anything.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How many DOE are you allowed to kill in upstate NY during rifle season?

Depends on the management unit. Where I live I can usually get 4, and the state allows you to sign over your tag(s) to a friend so it's basically unlimited. Where my camp is they have not given out a doe tag in several years that I'm aware of. Southern tier counties you can usually get one per year, but it's no guarantee.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Its all about $$$$ DNR here thinks if theres Huge Bucks then more out of state hunters will come here! Our Youth hunt they can shoot any bucks or does, Iv asked why not let them shoot a doe so the small bucks can grow, as they are pushing on me! they say that the kids now days dont wont to shoot a doe, they want bucks! hell when I was a kid any deer would do! it the dam tv shows, I wish they would do away with them! It all about the $$$$ anymore, not about the deer herd, we can shoot 2 bucks the second buck must have 4pts. per side, Id be in favor of a one buck limit any size! I know 2 guys in there 80s that would like to shoot another buck before they cant hunt anymore, and they are seeing bucks just cant count the dam points before they our out of sight!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by battue
COAST GUARD BOARDING POLICY
To enforce these laws, the Coast Guard is empowered to
board and inspect vessels. Many of the laws can be
successfully enforced only by boarding a vessel while it is
underway. Boardings are not necessarily based on
suspicion that a violation already exists aboard the vessel.
Their purpose is to prevent violations
. The courts have
consistently upheld this authority. All Coast Guard officers
and petty officers are Federal law enforcement officers and
they may board any United States vessel anywhere.

How does it feel to have worked for the nanny State?

That's compelling.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

MM

MM, I hunted Tioga Co for many years back in the 80s-early 90s. I don't think the comparison to today's NY herd is quite fair. Back then I could pretty much count on seeing 50-100 deer opening day of PA on the Game Lands. Problem was you had to scope the heads of every one of them hoping to see a 3" spike you could shoot at, and if you did it was an easy drag because they wouldn't be much bigger than the average Labrador. That herd was over populated beyond the carrying capacity of the land. As I remember it, does were pretty well protected with their own 1 or 2 day season that you had to be lucky to get a tag for. My point is the ARs in PA, and the subsequent decimation of the over population of does, was a MANAGEMENT decision, and in hind sight a good one IMO.

NY does not have the herd issue that PA had. This proposed law is based solely on greed, not good wildlife science.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Common sense response.

You boys best fight it out hard at the State level or you are going to lose.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart

MM
If big 8 points are numerous and easy to come by now then they aren't trophies anymore. Just common bucks that any dumbazz can get.

Are you intentionally missing the point? Thay is the only way I can imagine someone reading what I wrote and responding as you did.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If the antler restriction law were to pass and NY became known as a "big buck" state it would ruin deer hunting for the common man. Right now it's still possible to get permission to hunt private land just for asking. I have permission on several parcels myself. That would disappear as all the private land would be leased up for exorbitant amounts of money. It has happened in every state that becomes known for it's trophy bucks.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
There isn't much fighting it out in this state,they will do whatever they want,as they have proved with the safe act. They'll just ram it through at 11pm on Christmas eve!Regardless of what anyone else thinks.It won't effect me much ,in recent years I've past up plenty of buck that I didn't want.It will effect a good share of others that may only have very limited time to hunt,thus causing them to say the hell with it.Today's society,where's my selfie wand!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

MM

Are you intentionally missing the point? Thay is the only way I can imagine someone reading what I wrote and responding as you did.
No, I'm not missing the point. You are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pre-restrictions there were very few 8 points, post restrictions there are more. Logic isn't hard to follow. Everyone I hunt with and talk to are pretty happy with the results and management. Not everyone hates it. It might not be as bad as you think. But I'm just some dumazz, disregard my opinion and experience because it is not yours.

MM

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.