Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RipSnort
The only reason to buy a Rolex is if you like wearing jewelry.

RS

Bullchips.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
In July, 1972 after a summer Midshipman training cruise I had some extra cash in my pocket when all us Middies were all consolidated at Clark AFB, Philippines for a return flight to CONUS.

I saw a Rolex Explorer (I believe the model that Sir Edmund Hillary wore on his Everest expedition) on display in the base exchange for $150. It's waterproof, self-winding and probably the simplest design that they make. IIRC, the Submariners were about the same price but I liked the size and design of the Explorer better. I thought about it for quite a while and thinking that I'd probably not be able to find one for that price later on, I said "what the heck" and paid cash + no tax smile

I've worn it practically every day since. I've had to replace the crystal twice due to scratches from hitting things in the cockpit and/or on the carrier. I had to have the winding stem replaced once and had to replace the band a few years back because the links were wearing through and about to break. It doesn't keep perfect time but it's pretty close and the error is at a predictable rate (as a chronometer should...remember 1970's technology)

In about 1980 the Midway stopped at Hong Kong after 3 1/2 months in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Iran. I went into the China Fleet Exchange (for the British fleet) and they had a good selection of Rolexes and I bought my wife a "Date-just" which she's worn every day since then. She's had to replace the crystal once.

Say what you will but having a precision mechanical device work for 45 years needing only one mechanical repair is a pretty good track record...80 years if both our watches are included.

Mine has my initials engraved on the back and when the time comes it'll go to my grandson who has my name.

Last edited by navlav8r; 03/18/17.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have the same theory on Rolex watches as I have with most other things.

If you want it, buy it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had one.

"Certified Chronometer"

For some reason I though that meant it'd keep good time.

I was wrong.

Took it back to the jeweler, figured it was busted.

He told me that was the way it was.

Got my $ back.

Watch that don't keep time is like a rifle shootin 4" groups at 100.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by gregintenn
My cell phone has a clock on it.

I don't give a damn about impressing anyone.

You may not care that you look like a 12 year old when you have to dig your phone out to check the time.....but others do.

One of the most lasting lessons my father, and my grandfather, taught me is that a man wears a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife every day....

My father taught me that real men don't wear jewelry.

Perhaps it is a regional thing.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Years ago, I was spending a lot of time in Taiwan. Fake watches were available there for $15-25. Some of them were very well made, with high quality, crystals, and cases. They kept time very well and would last until you quit wearing them because you were tired of them.

So you have to ask, what value do you get from a Rolex that justifies the extra cost?

Be not weary in well doing.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

An argument could easily be made that a watch like a Rolex crosses a line near jewelry, but to call all watches such is silliness.

The ability to tell time is a vital part of being an adult. A watch is simply the most efficient, most unobtrusive manner in which to do so.

Relying on a cell phone is puerile, at best. I see this in all aspects of life, and its maddening.

What time is it? ...Look at the phone
Open your bibles.... Look at the phone
Whats the weather like outside? ...Look at the phone

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I found one in aboyt 25 feet of water at Roosevelt Roads PR. It had been there a while as the sand had frosted the crystal. I was ona repair ship and it had a watch shop. My friend who ran the shop put on a new crystal and timed it for me. It was a stainless Day Date Oyster Perpetual. I kept OK time but was not like today’s electronic watches for keeping time. EX wife sold it for $25 to go get drunk when I was at sea. I did not keep her long after that as that was her normal king of crap.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

An argument could easily be made that a watch like a Rolex crosses a line near jewelry, but to call all watches such is silliness.

The ability to tell time is a vital part of being an adult. A watch is simply the most efficient, most unobtrusive manner in which to do so.

Relying on a cell phone is puerile, at best. I see this in all aspects of life, and its maddening.

Some folks work for a living, and jewelry can be dangerous when hung on machinery and such.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Wife gave me one for my 45th birthday. A thief broke into my house and stole it along with some other stuff I'd like to get back. LEO's were all about getting the serial number, but it's been gone for 12 years now and I figure that it's gone forever. I replaced it with a Citizens Eco-Drive. It looks about the same from 10 feet away, keeps better time, don't have to worry about the self winding mech, water proof to 300 meters, and if someone steals it, $150.00 will get me another.

Harry
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Some folks work for a living, and jewelry can be dangerous when hung on machinery and such.

Understood, and worked a few of those jobs. When I did, the watch and the ring came off when the whistle blew, and back on as I walked out. For those times not in a role where such items posed a health or safety risk, they were on from dawn till dusk.

Even as such, everyone's situation and needs are different, I dont think anyone debates that...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, there's this handsome young stud off to foreign shores, seems like only yesterday. Gets assigned to a troop of beserkers doing business as Uncle Sam's Air Cavalry. Used choppers instead of horses. Clocks in the choppers seldom worked and when they did it wasn't for long. Stud found out that the vibration regime was death to the likes of a Bulova watch and much the same for the Timex and issue watches of the day. Fuel endurance for the choppers was about 2+15-2+30 depending on a few variables. Right after a fella starts sucking fumes in a chopper you hear the sound of silence. It is a rude awakening.

Stud bought a Rolex Submariner in the PX for $130. That was 48 years ago in a couple months. Still has the second crystal, second band and keeps on ticking no matter how hard he tries to break it.

Cell phones don't do well as dive watches, neither do sundials.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have the same theory on Rolex watches as I have with most other things.

If you want it, buy it.

Your theory is simple yet splendidly accurate IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

You may not care that you look like a 12 year old when you have to dig your phone out to check the time.....but others do.

One of the most lasting lessons my father, and my grandfather, taught me is that a man wears a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife every day....

My grandfather told me you carry a handkerchief, watch and a pen. Though he always had a knife on him too, and a belt.

I don't leave home without a watch, belt, wallet, knife, phone and keys. Exception is if I have to run to the store and am already in sweats (this almost never happens unless I'm already in sweats at like 9pm and realize I need something I'm missing for dinner) in which case there's no belt, knife or watch. Only keys phone and wallet (but there's a knife in my car).

Me personally can't see spending more than $200 on a watch and I am a big fan of the Citizen Eco-Drive that runs on solar power and a battery reserve good for 6 months. Mine keep excellent time and are bomb proof.

Cheapest place to find Citizens IME is here or Costco on closeout (look for the asterisk on the price tag): http://www.jomashop.com/citizen.html?gender=Men%27s&movement=Eco-Drive

Last edited by bigfish9684; 03/18/17.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one that my wife gave me. Wife has one she earned from work. Neither of us wear them much. I break to many things that attach to my hands. They are nice watches but more of a status symbol obviously.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan, when this young stud was in Vietnam, all the other young studs were ordering Seiko watches from the PACEX catalog. (And cameras, but that's another story.) So I did, also. Pilots needed all the bells and whistles (they told each other) and their watches had them.

I used the stopwatch function on those occasions when the cockpit clock didn't work (not often) and that's about all. Had that watch for years after 'Nam but have no idea what became of it.

These days, I find it difficult to NOT see a clock somewhere around me, so have little need for a watch. I wear one fishing so I won't be too late getting home, and that's about all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by 66niteowl

Same here dude, I drive an old 2010 Ford truck that's paid for, I'm sure your on the same page

2010 is old?

If you could see the shape it in you would agree , its old 😀

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Some folks work in food manufacturing facilities where it is illegal to wear a watch on the floor.

I really miss having a reliable quartz watch on my wrist. It is amazing what fifty bucks will buy in terms of accuracy and reliability these days. Heck, a good band will cost as much as the watch.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

One of the most lasting lessons my father, and my grandfather, taught me is that a man wears a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife every day....[/quote]

My job does not allow me to wear a watch due to safety. Jewelry around machinery is not a good mix. Instead, I use my phone as my clock and don't give 2 sh*ts how it looks. I do feel naked without my knife though and won't leave the house without it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
If you want a fancy watch, buy one.

But I cant believe it would be a "good" investment unless you plan on selling it one day.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.