-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Question for ya "ol mike". Are you a veteran?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Damn, looks like 99% of the Coast Guard ain't getting a pension.

Yep, crossing the Columbia Bar a couple of times a day is nothing. Just sit in your rocking chair and knitting as the smooth water slides by. No risk involved.

I worked with a CG guy for a while. Great guy. Two purple hearts from his CG rocking chair job in Viet Nam.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Millions and millions of people work way more years and dont get a pension.

Any reason why? Only govt folks?

I am MAGA.
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Politicians, No Pensions,

Public Employees, No Pensions, 401K only

Military is a different animal. The majority of soldiers aren't in long enough to earn much of a pension to begin with.

Those that do the 20-30 + years took far less compensation in the military than they would have made in the private sector. But we need their skill and talent in the service so to give them a pension is not only sensible its the right thing to do.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Military retirement is changing. Its a whole new system coming and it will be up to the member to ensure they have a retirement. Look up blended retirement system if you are curious. Its also good to note that only 17% of those on active duty serve for 20 years and become eligible for retirement.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
My buddy is well compensated, being a nuclear engineer.

He said that virtually none of the other folks who graduated power school with him are still in the Navy.

Great bonuses and good pay...still a extremely high turnover.

I am not so sure that he would have been compensated at a higher rate in civilian life. Pay may have been better, but the job market was not exactly on fire for a good deal of the time he has been in the Navy.

Sure, the pay is high, if you can get a job.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Harry M
You don't. The Military is a separate animal. NO military pensions should be touched. They are already pro-rated for length of time served. I do not consider the Military to be public government.

+1 Our military personnel are too poorly rewarded for their service as it stands.

Bureaucrats, on the other hand........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retired military own most of the waterfront property around here -just saying .
A friend/hunting buddies retired airforce brother gets $86,000 a year and has a govt job making $205,000 per year -he tells me "I'm friends with the guy with THE BIG CHECKBOOK" , followed by a huge laugh .
You're falling for the crying from military members who can't make ends make ends meet on $35,00 a year. MANY people make far less -but I'm sure they bellyache about it too -yes wages are stagnant .

I read a paper put out by the military back around 08-09 it stated that military incomes went up 80% between 2001 - 2008 .
I wondered which civilian jobs pay went up 80% in those 7 years -plus retirement and lifetime medical care . I'll guess would be -none-.

I know of 2 people who live near me who have been retired for 54ish and 51ish --how much is that worth ? So yes they didn't make great money back in the day in the military but actually they did --50+ years retirement -life long medical treatment is worth how much [+wife] ?? ?? Think about that .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott ,
I've seen people retired from the military due to a bad back [faking]-one that I knew very well broke his ankle and became a retired vet . -he could run -play basketball -and did play all the time . Went to college of the taxpayer dime -now a lawyer working for the VA . He's a total piece of sch-itt whigger/gangsta , it's no wonder the VA is in pisspoor shape with the likes of him working there .

Just what ARE you saying?

If The shcitt really hits the fan, many military vets can be called back in to fight.
Additionally, if it REALLY hits the fan, miliary vets CAN be counted on to do their patriotic duty at home.
That means saving even your butt.

Last edited by Wyogal; 03/19/17.
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Those that work in public government earn more than counterparts in the private sector and for fewer hours worked.

They must be placed on 401K systems at some point.

A politician should serve one term and move on and no pension for that term.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Military member do NOT earn what they could earn in private life. A pension is a very fair trade off as far as I am concerned.

Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Harry M
Those that work in public government earn more than counterparts in the private sector and for fewer hours worked.

They must be placed on 401K systems at some point.

A politician should serve one term and move on and no pension for that term.

That makes sense to me.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sure, but whats the guarantee that they would find, keep, and retire from a job in the private sector?

All my friend has to do is get up on time, get his schit done and he is golden.

Admittedly, he is not a surface guy, and is not a boat painter.........

I am MAGA.
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
There are no guarantees anywhere I would guess.

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You can't teach experience.

A group of people working on a design needed some expertise so the called in Tesla. He arrived, looked over their calculations on a chalkboard and after a few minutes finished the equation for them.

He then presented them a bill for $50,000.03.

The 3 cents was for the piece of chalk, the $50,000 was for what he knew.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Scott F
Or, better yet, maybe I should just be euthanized so you can heve a better life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott ,
You're missing my point --my point is if someone goes in the military and does a "JOB" they don't deserve the same pay as a combat soldier like my buddy Jeremy is spoke of .

If you are in bad health or any other man who fought for this country I want you to be V-E-R-Y well taken care of ,if you did hard dangerous work you should be taken care of. The people who shuffled papper didn't fight in combat or do things that wore their bodies out shouldn't be in the VA line worried about a crick in their knee --that doctors office should be for YOU .

Steelhead ,

If you were doing dangerous work -being away from home etc. -you too should be paid for what you do .The guy in the Coast Guard sitting in an office shining a seat with his ass -does not deserve to be paid what like a person risking life and limb -that person has a "job" . And that "job" shouldn't come with retirement and benefits for life .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Before you fellas paint government service employment with a bucket of ripe manure you might step back and recognize that some branches, both military and civilian serve the people a great deal of benefit day in, day out. Indicting all public servants in a single breath makes you sound a bit liberal.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Scott;Tell me what person in the military does not put their asses on the line. Even the ones in the eye clinic.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't be serious !

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/19/17.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Absolutely not what it means at all. Public Employee's are very well compensated both in wages and tax payer funded pensions.

Military members earn far less in compensation. However long term experience is needed in the military so you want them to stay in. A pension for this is very fair.

Please don't start with the poor public employees because that angle is a load of crap.

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Scott F
Or, better yet, maybe I should just be euthanized so you can heve a better life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott ,
You're missing my point --my point is if someone goes in the military and does a "JOB" they don't deserve the same pay as a combat soldier like my buddy Jeremy is spoke of .

If you are in bad health or any other man who fought for this country I want you to be V-E-R-Y well taken care of ,if you did hard dangerous work you should be taken care of. The people who shuffled papper didn't fight in combat or do things that wore their bodies out shouldn't be in the VA line worried about a crick in their knee --that doctors office should be for YOU .

Steelhead ,

If you were doing dangerous work -being away from home etc. -you too should be paid for what you do .The guy in the Coast Guard sitting in an office shining a seat with his ass -does not deserve to be paid what like a person risking life and limb -that person has a "job" . And that "job" shouldn't come with retirement and benefits for life .

If you say so. I'm guessing your buddy could have been in charge of all C4ISR and gun system design/testing/delivery in a multi-billion dollar contract for a new class of ship. All I did was shine seats in that job....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll ask again ol mike. Are you a veteran?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Headed to Cuba for Mojitos with some newfound Cuban friends. Nothing like getting paid to take a summer cruise.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (204guy, 260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,502
Posts18,509,209
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.