Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently my 20+ year Cabelas experience has been significantly different than some here. I've taken 5 year old wool pants back with the crotch ripped out - picked new off the rack, ripped a hole in my 3 year old gaiters - picked new off the shelf, developed leak in 4 year old boots - credit towards another pair and my favorite - returned a set of Cabelas Dry Plus coat and bibs 1 year after purchasing for full refund.

Having said that, I don't expect my Denalis to be functional after 5-6-7 years because I intend to wear them. It would take a big set of cajones for me to take back a pair of boots with the tread worn down to nothing. The return policy states: "Cabelas branded merchandise is guaranteed for the life of the product against defects in workmanship under normal wear and tear conditions"

Those interpreting that policy to mean forever are mistaken. It may be me - but I don't have the stones to take a product back after I've used up the usable life in that product.

I'll stick with Cabelas and their lifetime guarantee - they've treated me more than fair in my long history with them.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well Sako, your mistake was in taking the Gore-Tex hype at face value. After a couple wearings, especially if you wash it, it ain't "waterproof" any longer. All the water repellancy is in the outer surface layer, and this needs to be renewed regularily. Then it will work in light to moderate conditions, such as a light drizzle.

Also, don't wear it in heavy rain, wind-driven rain, through heavy vegetation, or sit/kneel/ wade water with it. It don't work.

The Gore-tex (and similar) membranes are not water proof in themselves. They merely pass (in theory) water vapor from inside to outside. I like it for snow machining....

At least that has been my experience.

Last edited by las; 03/27/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Sako76
I've had a pair of Cabela's Alaskan Hunters for about 7 years, never leaked and I bird hunt 3 days a week minimum from October till mid March, never leaked and never had a problem. They are a little heavy but they protect my feet from rocks. Thw rubber band around the bottom looks like it's separating. About the Lifetime guarantee, it's bullshit! I bought a pair of Gore Tex Coveralls for about $325 at an end of season season sale in 2007. I've worn them maybe 20 times, look like new. While hunting in Pa. last year it was raining pretty hard and I put the coveralls on. Sat in a chair under a Gunbrella and after about a half hour it felt like my underdraws were wet. Snaked my hand down there and yup, soaked.

I tried to bring them back to the Hamburg store and they said "if there a couple of years old we won't warranty them".. I wrote to Cabela's HQ, telling them I didn't remember when I bought them which is the truth, they said "you mean the coveralls you bought in 2007, you have outlasted the life of the garment, we won't take them back"!

They say they can never tell you when you bought something when you lose the receipt but they can tell you when it was bought to tell you you outlived the expectancy of the garment! I always thought Lifetime meant "forever"!

Beware!

I had the same discussion with a regional Cabela exec at a trade show. I had a shell for a parka and the coat was tearing along the sew track next to the zipper. He said I was beyond the lifetime of the warranty. Being a smart ass and having spent about $10,000 at Cabelas over the prior 6 months I asked if Cabelas was smart enough to know how long the lifetime warranty was for a parka then why couldn't they put that on the label inside the parka, on the paper tag as hangs on the rack for retail and then register my parka with date of sale and date of end of "lifetime" warranty as the lifetime is known and is not my lifetime. Tied him up for a half hour and said he would get me a $100 gift certificate. I told him he could wad up his $100 and toss it in the trash since I preferred to deal with vendors that were clear about their warranties. He seemed shocked I was not working him for a deal of some kind. Nope, just wanted a lifetime warranty to be my lifetime or be x-years clearly noted on the item. Why make me guess if an item is out of warranty?

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Well this sucks... order a pair of Denalis on Monday and didn't know about the sale.

Cabela's customer service was top notch for me on this sale. I called them up and they credited the 20% off coupon back to me.

Thanks for the heads up!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
HHmmm... Sounds purely anomalous - must have been a 1-time exception. Or probably not.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Well Sako, your mistake was in taking the Gore-Tex hype at face value. After a couple wearings, especially if you wash it, it ain't "waterproof" any longer. All the water repellancy is in the outer surface layer, and this needs to be renewed regularily. Then it will work in light to moderate conditions, such as a light drizzle.

Also, don't wear it in heavy rain, wind-driven rain, through heavy vegetation, or sit/kneel/ wade water with it. It don't work.

The Gore-tex (and similar) membranes are not water proof in themselves. They merely pass (in theory) water vapor from inside to outside. I like it for snow machining....

At least that has been my experience.

My experience is that quality gore-tex is absolutely waterproof. I've got 20-something year-old Danner boots and an even older U.S. made Cabelas parka that have been worn a lot, the coat almost every day in season, and they don't leak. Unless garments are made with taped seams, water will go through the needle holes eventually. Cheap stuff and knockoff waterproof fabrics are a crapshoot. Also, pants that aren't waterproof can channel water down your legs and into your waterproof boots.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ordered a couple of pairs of boots the 800 gram ultra lightweight meindls for me and some iron ridges for my grandson. Saved about $100 off of normal prices.

I returned 2 year old heavy 1200gram boots that leaked with a simple explanation- too warm for my home area only used on 2 elk hunting trips probably only a dozen days on the boots before leaking.....it made sense to them and they backed their product.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 20% off and free ship is back ON until 04-14-17.

Promo code is 17cab412

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Cab...=20&WT.tsrc=RMKT&WT.mc_id=o79149

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks JSC!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
3 pairs of boots later I'm not sure if I should say thanks or "darn you" but grandson, daughters boyfriend and I have new boots on the way.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.