Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't either and I use an XD compact, and XD tactical and a S+W Shield in 40 cal. But, as I said, I see no reason to run these full throttle with my reloads.

Full throttle is both the 45 colt and the 44 mag with 300 grain cast flat nose bullets. Something I'm going to kill something with.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Want full throttle shoot the 40 as it was meant to be before all the catification. 10mm.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rost495
Not sure how lead could be an issue at all.
Glock states that lead rounds violate the warranty. No rifling grooves in Glocks, so any lead buildup increases barrel pressure beyond design limits.

Just like any barrel, you have to watch and take care of the barrel, to make sure its not fouling or building carbon up, lead or not.

Warranty. Reloads void almost any warranty I've ever seen.

If you build up lead and ignore it, thats your fault and has nothing to do with the maker...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Apparently, though, because there is no rifling in a Glock barrel, even the slightest layer of lead buildup will push pressures too high. With rifling, the lead buildup is pushed into the grooves, and doesn't cause increased pressures till the grooves are overstuffed with lead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OR, depending on pressures, steel could have come apart in a more catastrophic way, much like bursting PVC vs Sch 40 Steel pipe...

Absolutely 100% fact. I even thought about that; but, in response to his original post, yes, I thought if steel, it MIGHT not have come apart like that. Either way, I will not get defensive about my polymer pistols because of a statement like his and, once again, do agree with your point rost495 and did, even before my post of agreement that it might not have.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/20/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
a statement like his

Don't believe I made a statement.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Any time you have a kaboom bad things are likely to happen, regardless of the exact handgun model. I had an almost kaboom early in my action shooting days with a Glock 34 in 9mm during a match. I was using some commercially reloaded ammunition that had previously worked well. The problem round had a lot more recoil than usual and locked up the gun. It hurt my hand a bit but there was no real injury. Probably over charged but not double charged. Nowadays I generally only shoot my own hand loads or occasionally high quality factory ammo.

That said, I've shot many thousands of rounds though Glocks, including 9mm, .40 and .45, and never had another problem. I am a pretty careful reloader, but once in while my progressive press will not drop any powder in a round on the powder drop step. I look carefully at each round before I seat the bullet and so far have always caught the problem but I do still worry a bit about the possibility of firing a squib round followed by a tap/rack and then another round during a match. That would definitely cause a kaboom and might cause injury.

I think a kaboom with any handgun is pretty serious and I'm not sure that polymer guns are any worse than alloy or even steel. Best to avoid the kaboom in the first place.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Apparently, though, because there is no rifling in a Glock barrel, even the slightest layer of lead buildup will push pressures too high. With rifling, the lead buildup is pushed into the grooves, and doesn't cause increased pressures till the grooves are overstuffed with lead.

LEading is usually dependent on MV and hardness. Hence not all barrels will lead. Although our 10mm due to speed are powder coated, cleaner to mess with etc...

I"m not convinced you can't get carbon built up like in a rifle barrel also.

Bottom line, its not just a lead bullet, but the fact that IF lead was used, the owner was not knowledgeable enough to understand how to use it and its possible dangers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I'm not up on Glocks but stupid question...why would a .40 S&W be more likely to come apart?

They're loaded very hot and put in 9mm size frames.

They're sorta pushing the envelope with that combo.

Travis
Also the main reason I do NOT own a .40...

I load 'em to the gills.

Dave
laugh laugh

Same number of .40's I own, not looking to add one to the safe, either.

I jump from 9mm to 45 ACP.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OR, depending on pressures, steel could have come apart in a more catastrophic way, much like bursting PVC vs Sch 40 Steel pipe...

Going to depend on the gun. I was sitting in the office at the club year before last and heard an odd sound out on the range I looked and saw one of our members holding his hand, I ran out to him and his colt 1911 was laying on the bench and his mag was laying on the floor in pieces.

He had double charged a cartridge with Titegroup, It ruined the mag and the nice carbon fiber grips he had on it, the gun itself was just fine. All total it cost him about $150.00 for that double charge, he got lucky, lesson learned.

I've owned a couple plastic guns I Don't like them, some do and thats fine.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Anyone really know what happened? My "guess" is either a high primer or stuck firing pin that set off a cartridge before it was chambered, then set off some in the mag, or a fail to extract and jammed another case into the barrel.

I do not shoot a lot of pistols

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So, why does the barrel still look intact? The magazine would have let go before the frame shredded that bad. The hand wound just doesn't fit the damage from the gun. Just my opinion.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by spencer516
So, why does the barrel still look intact? The magazine would have let go before the frame shredded that bad. The hand wound just doesn't fit the damage from the gun. Just my opinion.

That was my first thought, are you sure the 2 photos belong together? But then who would question the net... LOL

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda looks like it blew the bottom of the chamber out maybe.

Like this:

[Linked Image]

Then again a 35,000 psi round firing out of battery can't be a good thing.

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/20/17.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Armednfree: The first thing a normal person (gun-nut!) would "go into" is exactly what you dismiss!
"What caused this failure"?
And why on earth won't YOU "go into it"?
Do you have an agenda against Glocks?
I have been using Glocks professionally and personally for in excess of 25 years now and for many of those years fired factory full house loads alongside 19 other "qualifiers" twice every year and fired thousands of other rounds through several Glocks I was issued and own and to date I have NEVER seen even a single instance like you have put forth!
I wonder why?
I for one would like you to "go into EXACTLY what caused this failure" (alleged incident)!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know; but, I'm guessing he won't go into the cause because, as he stated in his second post in this thread "no specifics were provided". Additionally,if you look at the link provided later in this thread, they don't provide a definitive reason. He doesn't know. Maybe he should have or could have (would of or could of for the morons) worded it differently. That's just my speculation after having followed the link provided. I also speculate, based on his post, the cause wasn't what he desired to discuss; rather, he wished to discuss the "steel vs. polymer" issue. I'm not trying to defend the OP, he could be a total a-hole for all I know and completely deserving of the derision. However, this is all just my take on having read it and watching others take it beyond his simple question. If he's another Big Stick, go get him guys.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/20/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've blown the bottom out of 1911's and I've seen G19's that had experienced the same.

The cause in both cases were overloaded cartridges.

Both hands hurt and both guns were fine. But whatever did that to that in the OP Glock, was a fugkin' grenade.

I wouldn't want it in my hand. Steel, or otherwise.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've blown the bottom out of 1911's and I've seen G19's that had experienced the same.

The cause in both cases were overloaded cartridges.

Both hands hurt and both guns were fine. But whatever did that to that in the OP Glock, was a fugkin' grenade.

I wouldn't want it in my hand. Steel, or otherwise.

Ditto on both counts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let me try to be more clear.

First off I own a Glock 26. The only reason I own a Glock 26 is that I got a great deal on it. Generally I prefer XD's, but acknowledge that over all there isn't really much difference. IMHO if you put a Glock, and XD and an M+P in a bucket you have three of just about the same thing in that bucket.

My duty carry is a Glock 19, used to be a Glock 23.

As an analogy, a great deal of development in the military bolt action rifle was focused on how well it handles a blown primer or separated head. Some, like a Mauser 98, do it very well while others, Like a MAS 36 are terrible at it.

So lets not focus on it being a Glock but on polymer frames in general. The question becomes, With a polymer frame do you loose a measure of protection in a catastrophic failure that a steel frame might provide?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep an overload for sure.

I load 6.0 grains of bullseye in my Colt 45 acp.with 200 grain semi-wadcutters.
In my Browning shooting both 160 and 180 grain sized and lubed cast bullets have had no problem.

If it was told i bet it was reloaded on a progressive press.
I have seen some before from friends and am sure there will be more.

It happens with hand cannons as well.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,853
Posts18,478,484
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.