Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Recently, at the Publix check out in Miami, the cashier was just chattering away at me in Spanish. I looked at her and said "Mam, I don't habla a word of that chit".
She was fairly subdued after that exchange. No, I'm not bilingual at all, and have no intentions of ever being so.

Sam......

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Lucky for most of us, make that some of us, in North America, English is the language of business.

I'll tip my cap to anyone swift enough to learn a second tongue. Even if it is a stark necessity.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
English first. Spanish second...I hold my own with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I grew up in a Gulf, Carib, and Atlantic / Pacific tramp freighter environment,....DIDN"T have much choice about becoming reason ably fluent in Español.

Funny,....these days I read about how cool the diving or fishing is here and there,.....at these plastic resorts and scam operations.

Sorry you missed diving the coast of British Honduras, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Hispañola, ....and others, well over 50 years ago, boys,....WHATEVER lingo you favor, or loathe.....cuz' it's now GONE, and ain't comin' back

A mi me' gusta mas recordir esos tiempos, amigos.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We all speak more than you know......Hallelujah is the same in all languages THAT have the word in their language!....so now, you can say that you speak most languages in the world...sometimes the "H" is dropped.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know enough German and French to communicate. Fluent? No, don't get enough practice.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Muy grande venado
muchoa cerveza
banjo

The most important words in the Spanish vocabulary.

fixed. Cerveza is a feminine noun, as in muchA serveza.. smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muy importante, Señor!

Mi gusta cervesa. Tu? Nada! grin

Last edited by hatari; 03/20/17. Reason: satisfy language police

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Language police, GUSTA...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3... English, Spanish, and Cussin' in Cowboy.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Language police, GUSTA...

I knew that. Typo in this case. However, that is close to maxing out my Spanish.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by hatari
I know enogh German and French to communicate. Fluent? No, don't get enough practice.

Same here Hatati

I used to be pretty fair with the Muskoegean Mobilian dialect. But ya don't use it, ya loose it.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Basic german as a survival skill with the inlaws. Mother in law is German, whole family is fluent. Father in law is a 25 year air force vet, spent many years stationed in Germany, My wife lived in Germany and Holland most of her childhood, they lived off base, went to German schools.

All my inlaws speak to each other is German, so understanding it is helpful :-)

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 03/20/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1st Spanish, 2nd English (British and American). I could speak French in high school. I can read and make sense of portuguese if spoken slowly.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Me esposa es muy mucho enuohada.

I don't spell in Mexican too good!!!

English either!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I always thought that bilingual had something to do with the location of a hernia.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can hold my own with French, so long as they don't talk too fast.

Which is when? wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was small, I thought that people who spoke something other than English must think in English, then translate it to another language in their heads before speaking. Likewise, when hearing, I assumed that they had to translate it into English before it made sense.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
English and Redneck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,705
Posts18,494,387
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.