-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have two based on the small ring mauser action,a mannlicher carbine,and a lightweight with the schnabel stock. Both are in 30-06.

They both shoot great,the one in the schnabel stock will shoot well under moa with federal blue box 150 grain ammo.

I think they are the full equal of the pre-64 Model 70 featherweight and the Browning FN Safari in terms of quality,and they are lighter than either.

I had a mannlicher type in 308 and my cousin had one of the schnabel guns in 270. They were fine rifles as well.

HR IC

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Steve Bruns, aka SBHVA passed away in September 2012. He is missed!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by Deflagrate

There is a very good forum moderated by one of the world's experts on Husqvarna rifles. I think it's forbidden to post the link, but the moderator is SBVHA. He can answer any question you may have.

IIRC, SBVHA passed last year.

Oh, I had forgotten. A great loss to Swede aficionados.
Dutchman and Baribal are still active. Dutchman's House of Kalina website is a learning experience on Military Swedes.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Is there anyone on this thread that modified a Husky 46 in such a way that they removed the sights and no longer have need of them?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Is there anyone on this thread that modified a Husky 46 in such a way that they removed the sights and no longer have need of them?

PM sent.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So, is the difference between the 46 and 146 that the 46 is on the M96 action and the 146 is on the M98?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RevMike
So, is the difference between the 46 and 146 that the 46 is on the M96 action and the 146 is on the M98?

Yes.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Yes.

Thanks. I know this is an old beat-up question, but will the M96 action handle the same pressure as the M98? I hear/read pros and cons on both sides. I know the 6.5x55 was standard in the M96 but I also know that it wasn't originally loaded to its full (i.e., modern) potential.

Thanks again.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Yes.

Thanks. I know this is an old beat-up question, but will the M96 action handle the same pressure as the M98? I hear/read pros and cons on both sides. I know the 6.5x55 was standard in the M96 but I also know that it wasn't originally loaded to its full (i.e., modern) potential.

Thanks again.

Then, as you probably know, the answer still remains controversial.

The M96 action was chambered in .30-06 by Husqvarna. Kimber (Oregon) rebarreled/sporterized military M96 rifles to .243W and .308W. I've not heard of any reports of action failures by these rifles. IMO, this suggests the M96 action is sufficiently robust.

Another data point attesting to the strength of the M96 action is a letter to the editor of Handloader magazine from the head ballistician at Norma. He reported an inadvertent shooting of a overloaded ammo in their std test action which are/were built on M96 actions. IIRC, the pressure was in excess of 80K PSI. With the exception of heavy bolt lift, there was no detectable issues.

What is clear is that the M98 has design features that protect the shooter better from gas and particle blowback in the event of primer/case failure than the does the M96. This issue can be mitigated, in part, by replacing the standard M96 bolt shroud with an aftermarket shroud that has a M98 style gas flange.

Brownells/Sinclair use to offer aftermarket shrouds for the m96 but have since discontinued them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The M96 action was chambered in .30-06 by Husqvarna. Kimber (Oregon) rebarreled/sporterized military M96 rifles to .243W and .308W. I've not heard of any reports of action failures by these rifles. IMO, this suggests the M96 action is sufficiently robust.

Another data point attesting to the strength of the M96 action is a letter to the editor of Handloader magazine from the head ballistician at Norma. He reported an inadvertent shooting of a overloaded ammo in their std test action which are/were built on M96 actions. IIRC, the pressure was in excess of 80K PSI. With the exception of heavy bolt lift, there was no detectable issues.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of these two facts. The reason I asked is that I'm wondering if it is possible to rechamber a 9.3x57 M46 to 9.3x62. If HVA was rechambering to .30-06, then I assume the answer is yes.

Thanks again.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Thanks. I wasn't aware of these two facts. The reason I asked is that I'm wondering if it is possible to rechamber a 9.3x57 M46 to 9.3x62. If HVA was rechambering to .30-06, then I assume the answer is yes.

Thanks again.

A member of 24hrCF from Sweden has posted that it is not uncommon to find M46 that have been rechambered to 9.3x62 in Sweden. So the answer is yes.

If you handload, you may find less reason to rechamber to x62. Factory x57 is loaded at pressures significantly less than 6.5x55 and 8mm Mauser pressures. Both were chambered in M96 actioned rifles.

In my M46, it is pretty easy to get 2400 FPS with 250gr Noslers.

Should probably note that my M46 is fitted with a M98 style bolt shroud.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you handload, you may find less reason to rechamber to x62. Factory x57 is loaded at pressures significantly less than 6.5x55 and 8mm Mauser pressures. Both were chambered in M96 actioned rifles.

Good to know. Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks again.

I have repurposed at least a dozen Husqvarna built M38 military actions and Husqvarna strengthened SR 640 actions, with several rebarreled for cartridges that operate a higher standard pressures than the 6.5x55. I ALWAYS do these three (3) things when building on a SR pre-1898 style Swedish Mauser action:

1. Replace the bolt shroud with a commercial style bolt should that has a larger gas shield.
2. Replace the trigger with a Bold or Timney unit with a side-safety.
3. Install a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening kit.

The 1600 series HVA and 1900 series actions are strong, modern, actions that can (IMO) be rebarreled/rechambered for any cartridge that will fit in the magazine and fit the bolt face.

The 1600 and 1900 series rifles that I have are mostly original/collectible rifles, with the exception of a pair of 1900 series S&W Cs that came to me as 30-06s and have been rebarreled in 256 Newton and 338-06.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I ALWAYS do these three (3) things when building on a SR pre-1898 style Swedish Mauser action:

1. Replace the bolt shroud with a commercial style bolt should that has a larger gas shield.
2. Replace the trigger with a Bold or Timney unit with a side-safety.
3. Install a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening kit.

That's helpful information as well. Thanks!

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks again.

A member of 24hrCF from Sweden has posted that it is not uncommon to find M46 that have been rechambered to 9.3x62 in Sweden. So the answer is yes.

The Husqvarna M46AN was made in 9,3x62. The 649 was made in 9,3x62 on the "strengthened" 96 actions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My JC Higgins 51-L in 308 with first blood after I got it. Just under 7 1/2 lbs as shown.
[Linked Image]

HVA action, barreled and stocked by High Standard for Sears. The recoil mortise was broken out and the tang cracked. A couple cross pins and a healthy amount of accraglass put it back in operation.
Before the stock work.
[Linked Image]

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is the second of two 30-06 FS HVA rifles I've owned. The first was a S&W branded one. This is HVA branded and is nicer finished than the S&W rifle. Both shot well and while I have carried them while hunting, never shot any game with them. Sold the S&W a few years ago and would like to sell this one if some one is looking for one. PM me if interested.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
[Linked Image]i love my full stock mannlicher in 30-06 it has a vintage ted Williams 3x9 I love the slim profile of the scope and the sleekness of the whole rig. the nearest I can tell it was made in 59

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I have several....only a half tick behind a mod 70..

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by OLSKOOL
[Linked Image]i love my full stock mannlicher in 30-06 it has a vintage ted Williams 3x9 I love the slim profile of the scope and the sleekness of the whole rig. the nearest I can tell it was made in 59

Let me know when you get tired of that thing....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.