T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by SU35
Out of curiosity,

Which is the better action a 1640 or a Pre-64 to build a 9.3

I guess that it would depend on which action you prefer.

The 1640 donor would probably be a little lighter, have alloy bottom metal, and be less expensive than a pre-'64 Model 70 donor. Simpson, LTD, in Galesburg, IL, is probably the biggest importer of used Husqvarna sporting rifle and may have a rifle with a good HVA action, but a poor/fair barrel and/or stock, that could be purchased for a better than average price.

My 9.3x62 has a Lothar Walther barrel on an Interarms Mark X with a mannlicher stock.

IIRC, a 1640 action with steel bottom metal/tg is 43 ounces and the alloy bottom metal makes them 40 ounces(but has a reputation of being a bit fragile at times if stressed). A fwt pre 64 action is right at about 43 ounces.
I am a big husqvarna fan but their stock trigger typically is pretty bad. If you can get one with an adjustable trigger you are good to go though. The stock trigger is a bit of a deal killer for me. FWIW, for myself, of the two actions, a pre 64 fwt action would be the action of choice on a build (primarily due to the trigger and safety).

Agree, the better trigger, safety, bolt stop and ejector makes me prefer the Pre-64.

What do you find objectionable about the HVA's bolt stop and ejector?

I understand about the trigger and safety, since the safety doesn't block the firing pin, but can't seen any particular problems with either the bolt stop or ejector.

The bolt stop and ejector are one and the same piece, Ive heard of the pin that holds it in place getting sheared off and the bolt stop/ejector falling out. I never had that happen to me, but always kept it in mind. The issue I have seen with this set-up is the flat spring that tensions it upward. If the spiring is weak or that ejector/bolt stop binds in the action cut out, It may not fully rise to eject the case when the bolt is worked briskly. Most Husky's Ive worked with, the ejector doest fully rise unless the spring is re-tensioned or action cut-out is polished.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Oldskool- I hear your conundrum, hate to mess with it, but what if...

The 2-3 Ive seen cracked had zero relief in the tang, I probably wouldnt bed it unless the wood was soft. Then again, just bedding the lug aint hard to do. FWIW, the ones Ive seen crack were repaired and after relieving the tang area, showed no signs of duress.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the Husqvarna's I've seen with tang cracks were due to the recoil lug setting back in the stock. The factory lug in the stock is very small in part due to the rather large hole right smack in the middle. I bed the recoil lug on all mine and ensure that there is a bit of relief behind the tang. The 1640's can split where the safety hump is on the right rear of the tang.

I bedded my 456 and shoot the heck out of it. .30-06 in a sub 7 lb rifle.

[Linked Image]

I have more than a couple Husqvarnas that I hunt with and love to shoot.

I started my relationship with them by first acquiring an M46 in 9,3x57. Then the 640 series when a small ring 8x57 built on a 96 came my way. Then I discovered the M46A with its schnabel fore end. Then the 98 based 640's, first in 8x57, then .30-06, then 9,3x62, etc. Then the 1640's, then the 46AN, the 46B, and so on.

The FN Commercial based 640's were a great bargain when you found them with cracked stocks. The FN Action making a perfect Platform to base a custom build off of. Same for the 1640's.

My latest being a 1640 in 9,3x62. The stock was trashed, the bore pristine but shortened to 20" and threaded for a can. I'm working on restocking it with a Mauser Type S inspired stock.

For the record, someone previously stated that Husqvarna built .30-06's on the 96 action. this is incorrect. Carl Gustafs made some. Husky used a 98 or their 1640 type action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SBHVA told me this; There is a metal tube that the rear trigger guard screw slides through. When the stock shrinks with age it leaves the metal tube a bit proud and the trigger guard screw bottoms out on it and no longer makes contact with the stock. He said to either file that metal tube flush or take it out and throw it away. He said it's responsible for a lot of HVA tang cracks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should add that it fixed my Husky at the time. I had one that the tang split out on and everytime I'd repair it it would blow the repair out. I followed SBHVA's advice and the repair held. I might add also that I tried relieving the tang area first and it didn't stop the repair from blowing out.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
SBHVA told me this; There is a metal tube that the rear trigger guard screw slides through. When the stock shrinks with age it leaves the metal tube a bit proud and the trigger guard screw bottoms out on it and no longer makes contact with the stock. He said to either file that metal tube flush or take it out and throw it away. He said it's responsible for a lot of HVA tang cracks.

Good point Mike Ive seen a few proud sleeves on the 1600/4000 series, definetly advice to heed.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Is there a difference in the alloy bottom metal and the steel? Will they interchange in the stocks?

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
Is there a difference in the alloy bottom metal and the steel? Will they interchange in the stocks?

No, sadly they are not interchangeable. frown

A friend ended up swapping alloy bottom metal for steel (or perhaps it was the other way around) to be able to use a particularly nice stock that he had.

John

Last edited by jpb; 08/29/17. Reason: fingers faster than brain when lacking caffeine
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
thanks for the good info, I will bed the lug and make sure the rear pillar tube is not proud and the rear screw tightens like it should. I love this rifle and sure don't need a crack. dose anyone know what all calibers the full stocks came in?

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by K22

No, sadly they are not interchangeable. frown

A friend ended up swapping alloy bottom metal for steel (or perhaps it was the other way around) to be able to a particularly nice stock that he had.

John

I guess I will know for sure shortly. I will have both types. The rifle with the steel bottom metal was repaired, not by me, and the lug is bedded along with the tang area. That one I will sell soon. Before I sell it I will check the differences in the alloy vs steel.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The alloy bottom metal is wider at the front screw. The steel bottom metal has much nicer lines.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The alloy bottom metal is wider at the front screw. The steel bottom metal has much nicer lines.

Ah, I couldn't recall the difference but now that pat mentioned it, that does sound familiar!

John

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 640 barreled action in 30-06 that needs a stock. Anyone have an idea where I might locate one?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
A 640 should fit in any standard large ring stock.(640 is a large ring, FN manufacture)

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a custom rifle built by Iver Henriksen on a Husky 1640 action. I liked it, working on getting it back.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 640 should fit in any standard large ring stock.(640 is a large ring, FN manufacture)

Beware, the 640 series used both the 96 and 98 actions. In the 98's they used both the Military pattern 98 and Commercial pattern actions. Verify the action type first. However, since the '06 was only offered in a LR any 98 stock can be made to work. Just pay attention to the barrel channel for a nice fit. I have 640's in '06 built on both types of 98 action.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've hunted with almost nothing else for the last fourty years. The 1600 (HVA) is one of the nicest mauser type actions of all. Mine required a little tuning, mainly glass beading. With my 1900's (FFV's) I tighten the action screws and went hunting, I check zeros every year, but they never change. My other rifles have been good but none better. My pre-64 M-70 was a good rifle but not as accurate as the others. I have a Remington 720, and a CZ 550 9.3X62 that I like as well as my Husqvarnas.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by z1r

Beware, the 640 series used both the 96 and 98 actions. In the 98's they used both the Military pattern 98 and Commercial pattern actions. Verify the action type first. However, since the '06 was only offered in a LR any 98 stock can be made to work. Just pay attention to the barrel channel for a nice fit. I have 640's in '06 built on both types of 98 action.

I believe that Husqvarna 640s were built on three different actions:

First on "strengthened", no thumb slot in the left side receiver rail, 1896 style SR actions.
Second on FN built military style, thumb slot in the left side receiver rail, LR 98 actions.
Third on FN built commercial style, no thumb slot in the left side receiver rail, LR 98 actions.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by z1r

Always something new to learn with Husqvarnas!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by z1r

I believe that Husqvarna 640s were built on three different actions:

First on "strengthened", no thumb slot in the left side receiver rail, 1896 style SR actions.
Second on FN built military style, thumb slot in the left side receiver rail, LR 98 actions.
Third on FN built commercial style, no thumb slot in the left side receiver rail, LR 98 actions.

My barreled action is the third style.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.