Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
There are plenty of Conservatives around that want a judge to rule the way they want and don't care if it follows the Constitution or not.

there are Conservatives here that are the same way.

That's what it all boils down to.

SC Justices ought to follow the constitution.

Anyone that wants favors from the Supreme Court doesn't have much regard for the constitution.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
There are plenty of Conservatives around that want a judge to rule the way they want and don't care if it follows the Constitution or not.

Anyone that wants favors from the Supreme Court doesn't have much regard for the constitution.
Wanting past activist decisions overturned is called strict constructionism/originalism.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Wanting past activist decisions overturned is called strict constructionism/originalism.

That's what most people don't get when Gorsuch answered questions about some things the way he did...

Yes. It's settled law. Until it isn't, and the subject comes before the SC again. Roe v Wade is settled.

But, ______ v _______ in the future isn't.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That's what most people don't get when Gorsuch answered questions about some things the way he did...

Yes. It's settled law. Until it isn't, and the subject comes before the SC again. Roe v Wade is settled.

But, ______ v _______ in the future isn't.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
That's what I was hoping he was doing, but if he's not willing to come out and defend actual originalism/strict constructionism, it's a big risk putting him in there. If he's approved, I hope you are correct.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope I'm correct also.

Sometimes you just don't know what a fish has been eating until you clean it.

I personally don't think he's another Roberts.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of earlier SC rulings were overturned by new cases to the SC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_overruled_United_States_Supreme_Court_decisions

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I don't want a conservative Justice! I want a Justice that will heed the Constitution.

I always thought those are the same animal.
Precisely. Conservatives want originalist, strict constructionist, justices. Leftists want activist judges that will uphold Roe v Wade and homo marriage, both of which were activist decisions.

Some Conservatives want activist judges as well.

Gotcha. I agree with your sentiments, but I don't think we define "conservative" quite the same way...no substance for an argument here. It's a good illustration of the problem with labels, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think/thought Gorsuch was a good man, won't matter if the D's block him one way or another out of principle alone.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It would be stupid not to use the so-called nuclear option as that it is just a matter of time until it is used. The Dems won't hesitate to use ignore regardless of what is done now. It is war. Use all your weapons.

All that said we may as well end the republic. You can't have a government when there is open warfare. The experiment is over.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/26/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't fug around with the dems. Just go nuclear.

Gorsuch won't be the only SC nominee.

Dems will fight every one with all they have.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am afraid you're probably right, JoeBob. I don't see how there can ever be peace. These bastards are intent upon imposing their will on the rest of us, and I think most of us would rather eat broken beer bottles than accept that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Seems 'ol Gorsuch is down with infanticide and queer marriage, like all good liberals. Will Schummer still filibuster Gorsuch? I hope so!

But his comments, during his confirmation hearing this week in the U.S. Senate, revealed the nation’s “settled law” includes “gay marriage” and unlimited abortion.

While being questioned by Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., .....

When Durbin asked if he accepted that, the judge replied, “That’s the law of the land. I accept the law of the land, senator, yes.”

And when pressed on “same-sex marriage,” Gorsuch acknowledged the Supreme Court had ruled such marriages are protected by the Constitution. He declared Obergefell v. Hodges, which struck down “same-sex marriage” bans nationwide in 2015, to be “absolutely settled law.”

To quote Dan Ackroyd: : "Jane, you ignorant slut!"

Don't be foolish. Gorsuch has to go through the tap-dance and the interrogation that is confirmation

Do you want him to be defiant about everything the Left holds dear, and then get Borked, or would you rather him give them as little ammo as possible to shoot him down?

This guy has been coached by those who know the game. When asked if ANY of that chit is "settled law", the answer is "YES". It is settled, for now.

I will tell all Right to Lifers (which I am) that you will see unicorns and leprechauns ride rainbows before Roe v Wade gets reversed. I mean, do you really believe after nearly 50 years, a half Century, the Court will over turn it and it would stand? Conservatives would be swept out of office and never see power for 100 years afterwards, if ever. The Left would remake the Court and subsequently overturn it again.

We lost that one in '72, and we live with it. That is a battle that can only be won from pews and the pulpit, one family at a time. Not by law.

Give Gorsuch credit for being smart. Do you want him to defy the Dems and lose or be smart and get confirmed. Face it, if Grouch goes down, the next nominee will be more liberal.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The actual Gorsuch as a SC judge will not be known unless/until he is doing that work. He gives the appearance of one who will ethically try to ignore and get past the current political maneuvering so he can do what he loves - be a constructionist judge. IMHO, he would be open to turning past rulings that were way too loose. Hoping for the best - who would be better these days?
TRH - thanks for the good contributions here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I am afraid you're probably right, JoeBob. I don't see how there can ever be peace. These bastards are intent upon imposing their will on the rest of us, and I think most of us would rather eat broken beer bottles than accept that.

From here on out there is no bi-partisanship. There is no cooperation. There isn't even an agreement on what is proper procedure. There will only be the party in power asserting its will. And we are about to take the next step. If and it is a big if, the Dems ever get control of the House again, they will impeach Trump. They don't need a good reason, it will be a purely partisan exercise. Once that happens, it will be used against any president when his party doesn't control Congress, but particularly by the Dems.

It is over. Realize it and live accordingly.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob

From here on out there is no bi-partisanship. There is no cooperation. There isn't even an agreement on what is proper procedure. There will only be the party in power asserting its will. And we are about to take the next step. If and it is a big if, the Dems ever get control of the House again, they will impeach Trump. They don't need a good reason, it will be a purely partisan exercise. Once that happens, it will be used against any president when his party doesn't control Congress, but particularly by the Dems.

You may be right.

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Springcove
He will absolutely be confirmed! Even if they have to use the "nuclear option".

The Republicans are setting themselves up for future payback (and politicians have long memories). At some point, the Democrats will control the Presidency and the Congress again.

It is interesting to note that Merrick Garland was overwhelmingly confirmed by the Senate in 1997 with significant Republican support. Yet, he didn't even the courtesy of a vote for Supreme Court appointment. Regardless of how a vote went, he certainly deserved a hearing and vote.
Only if you are ok with a lieberal court. Most are not.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JoeBob

The people don't care how a law gets done, just so it does the right thing. Nobody will ever remember, or care, that a nuclear option was used.

RINOs in congress are still bein pussies about this.

Remains to be seen if President Trump can change that attitude.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ahhhh the #NeverTrump faction is at it again. Still butthurt.

I'd offer to start a collection to get them a 55gal drum of personal lubricant but no one offered to chip in for Jeff_O so I'm guessing we'll see the same results. Sorry #NeverTrump!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every Supreme Court Justice has to look to precedence. That doesn't mean it can't be overturned or moderated.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Squidge
Do you want a "judicial activist" appointed to the SC? Or one that respects "stare decisis"?

I dont want zerocare to be the law of the land.

It IS the law of the land.

John Roberts upheld that.

If remember correctly it was declared a tax. I wonder how that will play out if everybody is not required to buy insurance. Can't tax just some of the people. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.