Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I just got this Classic Edge stock delivered yesterday and was messing around this morning checking the fit of the barrel and bottom metal. Its supposed to be inlet for a factory Remington BDL bottom metal. If you take a look at the pictures, the back of the BM sits really high, the rest fits perfect - this is a factory BM by the way. I can live with it a little high but this is a bit much.

I'll likely call McMillan on Monday to ask about this but in the meantime any ideas of how to fix it if I keep it?? Since the front and sides of the BM fit perfect I'm not sure how I could drop down the back of it without messing up the rest of the fit? Any ideas?? They have 4 more of these Classic Edges in stock so maybe they will just swap me but if there is an easy fix I would sure appreciate anyone letting me know how??
Thanks
Frank
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
FWIW, When I ordered a McM Hunter's Edge stock for my Pre-64 M70 FWT, the lady at McM told me that the rear of the Trigger Guard would be proud of the stock unless I contoured it down to fit. This was due to the thin cross section and more open grip on that stock pattern. Not sure if you are running into the same thing ? Mine is about 2x proud of what you are showing at the rear TG screw. I never notice it unless I go looking for it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is either my 6th or 7th Classic Edge and I don't recall any of them fitting like this one especially with a factory bottom metal. Not the end of the world though, suppose the back piece could be carefully filed down a bit??

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just looked at 3 of my Edge Classics, and they all sit a little proud, one more so than the other two, but none of the regular fill Classics are tall.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info aalf. My other thought is maybe try a PTG BDL?? I think the base thickness on those is a little skinnier than a factory one. Anybody out there that has a aluminum PTG if they could measure the thickness at the back screw hole I'd much appreciate it!

"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm 6 for 8 on McMillans being a drop-in fit when received. They've taken care of the other 2, but one would think they'd be better than that. It won't keep me from ordering more, but it's frustrating when you wait 6 months and then it doesn't fit.

Oregonmuley - pm sent about measurements on ptg. Sorry, just realized you have a Remington - confused myself with the other post that was a Win m70.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Frank,
I bought one these same stocks on the Mcmillan sale page last week and have the same issue with Hawkins Precision BM.
The Hawkins metal rides a little below so I have room to inlet rear screw to make it fit. This might be the reason these are on sale.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Seems to me it is the design of the stock. If you look at the top of the trigger guard in the long flat section, it looks like it very closely follows the stock, and is flush. If the rear was further inletted, that part would be angled, and would be actually recessed in the stock towards the rear. So, I guess it's a tradeoff. I'm sure 5 minutes of careful dremel work on the inlet would bring that back screw area right down, but then it would skew the flat area ahead of it. If it were me, I'd certainly rather have it the way it sits now.

Last edited by KenMi; 03/25/17.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Frank,
I bought one these same stocks on the Mcmillan sale page last week and have the same issue with Hawkins Precision BM.
The Hawkins metal rides a little below so I have room to inlet rear screw to make it fit. This might be the reason these are on sale.

Maybe?? The ones I've special ordered where never off this much, especially if inlet for a factory BM which this one supposedly is.

"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
So I just got this Classic Edge stock delivered yesterday and was messing around this morning checking the fit of the barrel and bottom metal. Its supposed to be inlet for a factory Remington BDL bottom metal. If you take a look at the pictures, the back of the BM sits really high, the rest fits perfect - this is a factory BM by the way. I can live with it a little high but this is a bit much.

I'll likely call McMillan on Monday to ask about this but in the meantime any ideas of how to fix it if I keep it?? Since the front and sides of the BM fit perfect I'm not sure how I could drop down the back of it without messing up the rest of the fit? Any ideas?? They have 4 more of these Classic Edges in stock so maybe they will just swap me but if there is an easy fix I would sure appreciate anyone letting me know how??
Thanks
Frank

I've had the same issues with the pre 64 model 70's original bottom metal in the hunters compact stocks as well. I really wish they would get this right. It's irritating to have to mill down the inletting yourself when it should have been done right from Mcmillan, but hey what do you do about it. They have been told about this issue many times... Still not change...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After milling the inletting:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've generally had issues with all McMillan Bottom Metal inletting on M70's (can't speak to 700's). Just something you have to deal with buying from them.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
FWIW, When I ordered a McM Hunter's Edge stock for my Pre-64 M70 FWT, the lady at McM told me that the rear of the Trigger Guard would be proud of the stock unless I contoured it down to fit. This was due to the thin cross section and more open grip on that stock pattern. Not sure if you are running into the same thing ? Mine is about 2x proud of what you are showing at the rear TG screw. I never notice it unless I go looking for it.

This is something Mcmillan needs to fix with their CNC program. When you mill the inletting down, you can't go straight across at the same depth because you want the floor plate latch to still function. It's not hard to do, but takes a little more time on our part to make it right. I would NOT "contour" down the rear of the trigger guard itself. That is just asinine for them to suggest that. When I fit and glass bed the hunters compact swirly for my buddy, he was not a happy camper when I sent him pictures of how proud the rear of the trigger guard sat in his stock. I had warned him when he ordered the stock that it would probably be an issue, since I've seen this before. Seems Mcmillan doesn't want to fix the issue.
[Linked Image]

This much stick out, was very noticeable, so I see where the OP is coming from. My best suggestion is to mill the stock, not the trigger guard and then glass bed it as well....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I've generally had issues with all McMillan Bottom Metal inletting on M70's (can't speak to 700's). Just something you have to deal with buying from them.

Brad, a simple question is: For the price, shouldn't we expect more from them????

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frank,
Assume pillars are installed?
I bought several factory BDL triggerguard/floorplate assemblies from PT&G a few years back. Exact same part number, same order. Two of them were much thicker than the others. I'll see if I can find measurements

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you "mill" the stock, the guard will by necessity sink below stock level. I can't see any way around that. I'd be inclined to re-contour the rear metal bit and refinish it. I believe the problem is the dimensions of the stock and BM, not the inlet per-se.

[Linked Image]

My current M70 Hunters Edge has the best fit of any I've had. PT&G Bottom Metal:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I measured a factory Rem SA BDL and a PT&G. Measured at the rear action screw hole, the PT&G is .175" and the factory is .184".

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I measured a factory Rem SA BDL and a PT&G. Measured at the rear action screw hole, the PT&G is .175" and the factory is .184".

Thanks Marty thats much appreciated! Any chance you wan to sell that one wink

I can live with the way it looks, was just surprised I guess since I've probably had a dozen Classics and never had this with any of them. My first thought was just dremel out the back a little but then the floor plate wouldn't fit right. Eddie Fosnaugh will be putting this one together and he said he's seen this as well on a number of Classics?? I just figured since its a duplicate of the factory Classic stock and its a factory bottom metal it would be a little nicer fit.

Sure appreciate everyone's input on this, learned something new today!!

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 03/26/17.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just measured two factory floorplates across the rear hole,

One at .155" the other .185".

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just measured mine, its .177" across the back?? Hey aalf that skinny one - any chance you'd like to sell that one?? Maybe that is the way to solve this, find a anorexic bottom metal laugh

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
If you "mill" the stock, the guard will by necessity sink below stock level. I can't see any way around that. I'd be inclined to re-contour the rear metal bit and refinish it. I believe the problem is the dimensions of the stock and BM, not the inlet per-se.

[Linked Image]

My current M70 Hunters Edge has the best fit of any I've had. PT&G Bottom Metal:

[Linked Image]

^^^This

The rear contour of the trigger guard matches the original stocks pistol grip curvature. The different stock shape is the issue. The late M70s did not have as tight a grip curve as the pre 64s. The Rem 1 piece bottom metal can't be tilted like BSA did with his 2 piece M70 "fix".

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.