Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey guys I have been buying factory loads for years but recently bought a Lee press and about 40 dies and all kinds of other reloading goodies from a widow for $200 bucks. I got 30-06, 300 Savage, (I ordered some .250 savage dies) .270, 9mm and 45acp (that I don't need) and .45 long colt that I do shoot a lot of. How did I do? Is the Lee loader a good one?
I also would appreciate some advice on loads for the .45 long Colt. I either shoot them occasionally from an antique Colt SSA but a lot more frequently from a pair of Uberti SSA 5.5" SSA Colt clones. I'm interested in two different kinds of loads. One cheap load for paper and cans but not so cheap as to be bad. Just something I can load up several hundred of without it costing an arm and a leg. and Secondly, I'm also interested in a real good load for when it they are for self defense, cost doesn't matter, hopefully I never need to shoot one. I guess I also am going to need a book or two. Any advice from primers, to cases, powder, lead, etc would be welcome. Thanks

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any old 45 Colt case, large pistol primer and enough medium-fast smokeless pistol powder to move a Lee 452-255-RF to 800-825 fps will cover all your bases with room to spare. I like Universal but you could do it with 3F Black if it suits your fancy.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Pretty much any powder suitable for 12 gauge shotshell loads (700X, Red Dot, Unique, etc.) are good for the .45 Colt. StarLine makes good brass, and use whatever large pistol primers you have. I cast my own bullets, but the 250 - 255gr lead bullets are the most commonly used. Highly recommend the Lyman Reloading Manual, since they cover a lot of lead bullets loads. I've got their 49th Edition, but I understand the 50th Edition is now out. Hope that helps.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I like 4227 in my 45 Colts.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you did fine. The dies would run you more than that alone. I don't own a Lee press but haven't heard any negatives on it. Use it to get started and if you find you want something else go for it. You would still be money ahead.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jacques_La_Rami
Hey guys I have been buying factory loads for years but recently bought a Lee press and about 40 dies and all kinds of other reloading goodies from a widow for $200 bucks. I got 30-06, 300 Savage, (I ordered some .250 savage dies) .270, 9mm and 45acp (that I don't need) and .45 long colt that I do shoot a lot of. How did I do? Is the Lee loader a good one?
I also would appreciate some advice on loads for the .45 long Colt. I either shoot them occasionally from an antique Colt SSA but a lot more frequently from a pair of Uberti SSA 5.5" SSA Colt clones. I'm interested in two different kinds of loads. One cheap load for paper and cans but not so cheap as to be bad. Just something I can load up several hundred of without it costing an arm and a leg. and Secondly, I'm also interested in a real good load for when it they are for self defense, cost doesn't matter, hopefully I never need to shoot one. I guess I also am going to need a book or two. Any advice from primers, to cases, powder, lead, etc would be welcome. Thanks
Good job. You've already received good advice on the loads. 4227 would be mainly for near top-end loads..."Ruger Only" as they used to be called. I wouldn't need it in antiques or Uberti's. I've used 4227, W296/H110 and Blue Dot for Ruger type loads but have settled on Unique, W231 and most recently, Trailboss for Cowboy-action type loadings which IMO is what you are after.

I've got two Lee Turret presses, one Classic and the other an original. They are fine. I don't care for the Progressive 1000, but I'm sure they'll work if tweaked enough. The only Lee presses I've ever heard bad things about were the progressives.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good Brian Pearce article on 45colt loads.

It only covers one bullet, a good one rcbs 45-270-SAA, but covers the three loading ranges for the 45colt.

RCBS 45-270-SAA

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
250 grain LSWC and Unique powder. Handles 99% of anything you need doing.

Sam......

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
250 grain LSWC and Unique powder. Handles 99% of anything you need doing.

thats pretty much it.
lets see, should i use 7.5 grains, or 8grains, about the limit of decision making needed.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At an of OAL 1.585 a 230 Grain LRNFP over 8.5 grains of Unique should give you 850 FPS at pressures your guns will handle. And do for your needs.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the input guys. Mine is just a single stage press. but I've been watching youtubes on reloading the last few days too and think that I've got it mostly figured out. I just ordered some Unique W231 and some(500) 250 grs wadcutters, primers and brass and when it shows up, I'll go from there. Thanks for the input, it really helped make some shopping decisions for me there are so many choices when you are a greenhorn! I ordered deprimed tumbled large primer used once brass, looks like ill be needing a tumbler next. Haha saving money already I see wink I did get a crank style case trimmer with the lot, but not a tumbler or a scale. I already owned a scale though. I figured I'd start learning on these 45s, then do 250 Savage and .223 next, since those 3 are what I use most.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Oh yeah also forgot to mention above that I also ordered the 50th edition of the Lyman manual as well.

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RickyD
I like 4227 in my 45 Colts.

And, from what I've read, so does Hank Williams, Jr. Hank is a big Colt fan, reportedly has an impressive collection.

Seems 4227 has a smooth pressure curve, said to be safe even in 1st Gen. Colts.

As a slow burner, I like it in my 24" Marlin Cowboy, max loads under 300 gr. JHP and Cast slugs. Those slugs hit with authority, are pleasant to shoot and do kill stuff.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for the input guys. Mine is just a single stage press. but I've been watching youtubes on reloading the last few days too and think that I've got it mostly figured out. I just ordered some Unique W231 and some(500) 250 grs wadcutters, primers and brass and when it shows up, I'll go from there. Thanks for the input, it really helped make some shopping decisions for me there are so many choices when you are a greenhorn! I ordered deprimed tumbled large primer used once brass, looks like ill be needing a tumbler next. Haha saving money already I see wink I did get a crank style case trimmer with the lot, but not a tumbler or a scale. I already owned a scale though. I figured I'd start learning on these 45s, then do 250 Savage and .223 next, since those 3 are what I use most.

I am sure others might disagree with me, but i don't think i have ever trimmed 45colt brass, it just doesn't seem to stretch enough for me to do it.
before i bought tumbers would wash cases in dishwater detergent and hot water and stick out in the back yard to drip dry.
one thing i would make sure of is to get the bullet seated snug.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
lyman is a good manual to read. I have a number of theirs obtained through the years. Interesting to see how their loads have changed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't believe it, but I have never used 4227 in a handgun load.
H or IMR? Is there a difference? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are now the same or....?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by byron
I can't believe it, but I have never used 4227 in a handgun load.
H or IMR? Is there a difference? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are now the same or....?

There is only IMR4227 made now. Great powder.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I am sure others might disagree with me, but i don't think i have ever trimmed 45colt brass, it just doesn't seem to stretch enough for me to do it.
before i bought tumbers would wash cases in dishwater detergent and hot water and stick out in the back yard to drip dry.
I've never trimmed a 45 Colt case either, that I recall. He'll need the trimmer for the rifle stuff though.

I like the Lyman Manual second only to Lee's. I like Lee's because I have the Disk powder measures and it gives the number disk to use, saving a lot of experimentation.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I've never trimmed a 45 Colt case either, that I recall. He'll need the trimmer for the rifle stuff though.

I like the Lyman Manual second only to Lee's. I like Lee's because I have the Disk powder measures and it gives the number disk to use, saving a lot of experimentation.

I've never trimmed a .45 Colt case, either.

They're tough cases with thick walls (compared to some) and are pretty durable.

Over sizing and a loose chamber can cause cracks after a number of uses, as posted earlier. I've never annealed them.

One thing I learned in my cowboy action days, I started out with a .45 Colt Marling Cowboy. With low pressure, low velocity loads, the thick walled case didn't expand enough to seal against the chamber wall, thus blow back. The thin walled cases, like .38-40, 44-40, etc. were designed for lever guns and don't have that problem.

I turned my Marlin Cowboy into a 'diller killer, 300 gr. bullets at max velocity. Now, those loads do seal the chamber, NO blowback...

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (2500HD, 21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 36 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.