Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The other night, my wife commented that she missed being young. She's only 56... (don't tell her I let that slip.)

It was a rather cold night and I found myself pondering this a bit when I took the dog out. It was freezing. I remembered when I was a kid, freezing didn't mean what it does now. I could play all day in the snow, even after losing sensation in the toes. I loved playing in the snow, even after the snot froze to my lip! Sledding, snow-ball fights, skating, skiing...playing Friggin "Nanuk of the North!"

Now, cold is damned uncomfortable. But, standing there, waiting for the dog to decide which square foot she was going to baptize, I closed my eyes and breathed in the cold. It felt the same as when I was a kid. Same effect on the nose hairs! Same smell. Nothing different.

Then I opened my eyes and looked into the Southwestern sky and being a cold, winter night, Orion was right there, where he'd always been, and I found myself remembering that since childhood, I'd never tired of seeing Orion for the first time every year...and being a bit disappointed when I'd look up and realize he was gone for the season.

The other day, I was at Dairy Queen. I was having a cone and my 22 year old daughter was having a strawberry sundae. You have to realize, that when she was 3, I introduced her to Dairy Queen strawberry sundaes and that's all she ever orders from there. When she was 3, she's stand on the seat and I'd spoon it into her like a little bird! Now, at 22 she can feed herself - but I still buy.

I looked around and noted there were a lot of geriatrics present. They were all having soft serve deserts of one sort or another. Many of them were on the far side of 80. I wondered if the ice-cream tasted any different to them, than the first time they'd ever had it? It tastes the same to me. My father introduced me to the peanut buster parfait - which was his favorite. I haven't had one in years. He's been gone since 1990 and the next time I go to Dairy Queen, I'm having one...just to see if it tastes like I remember.

My wife and I took a 5 mile speed walk Saturday. On the walk, I tried to feel different at 61 than I did when I was 16. But the muscles were still strong, the breathing controlled, the heart rate right where it should be for that level of exercise. No sore muscles, no aching in the calves. Same sweat on my chest and back. Later, I stiffened up after relaxing, but I remember that happening after a grueling track and field event when I was in high school too. Nothing really different.

So, I'm not sure I miss being young. There is a certain melancholy that comes when I realize the road ahead is shorter than the one I've already traveled, but so far, no complaints.

But, one final thought I'd like to leave with you. Now that I've practiced nursing for 9 years, I have to tell you, good health is a God Send, but it can be fleeting. You will pay for the mistakes you've made and the abuse you've given yourself. So many of my patients are very old and very infirm. So, don't make fun of them. Think of their faces as a mirror you will one day gaze into. Then close your eyes, and take a bite of Strawberry Sundae - and savor it.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 03/28/17.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 68 now. There's a BIG difference between 68 and 61. I'm in decent shape but it takes longer to recover after a long hike. Stiff muscles take longer to loosen up. I'll start hiking in the hills as soon as things dry up and I know it'll take longer to get my wind back and for the heart to slow down after a steep hill.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
The other night, my wife commented that she missed being young.

"Gee honey, I sure miss you being young too.!"

grin eek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Peanut Buster Parfait---That's my favorite too. Life is Good smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been trying to figure out when I went from Ironman to Iron pills.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Getting old sucks, but lots of people didn't get to find out.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Hanco,

For 6 years I was a cancer nurse. I know that full well.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Anytime I hear daddy red bird singing and smell Texas Mountain Laurel blooming I'm instantly transported back to the east side of Cedar Mountain
In Llano county. Same for me now as it was almost 40 years ago!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
The other night, my wife commented that she missed being young.

"Gee honey, I sure miss you being young too.!"

grin eek

Suicidal often? smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Remember,growing old is manditory----growing up is optional

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think I'm the reverse...all summer long, drenched in sweat, only enjoying morning and evening...I can't wait for cold and starting the woodstove.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At age 74, I am pleasantly surprised to find that I can still do as many things as I can. I can't run 7-minute miles anymore, like I did when I was 61. In fact, I can't run anymore. It just takes too much of a toll on my body. I can't carry a 50-60 pound pack any distance, but I have stepsons, grandsons and young friends that can, and do, carry the loads for me.

Like Dan, I still order and consume pretty much the same confections that I grew up on, although not as many (nor as frequently) as I once did. And putting in for big game tags here in New Mexico, and for elk in Colorado, is still just as exciting as it was 54 years ago.

As I have said on these forums several times, I never, ever expected to live this long. For me, each new day that I wake up is a gift from God and I try to respect and treat it as such.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
At age 74, I am pleasantly surprised to find that I can still do as many things as I can. I can't run 7-minute miles anymore, like I did when I was 61. In fact, I can't run anymore. It just takes too much of a toll on my body. I can't carry a 50-60 pound pack any distance, but I have stepsons, grandsons and young friends that can, and do, carry the loads for me.

Like Dan, I still order and consume pretty much the same confections that I grew up on, although not as many (nor as frequently) as I once did. And putting in for big game tags here in New Mexico, and for elk in Colorado, is still just as exciting as it was 54 years ago.

As I have said on these forums several times, I never, ever expected to live this long. For me, each new day that I wake up is a gift from God and I try to respect and treat it as such.

At 75 I'm constantly reminded of the consequences of a misspent youth.

But I realize I am fortunate to still be able to do the things I enjoy......... just on a reduced scale and at a slower pace.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
An Old timer I used to hunt with , said many times, getting old is not for sissies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I marvel at how healthy I still am at age 70. No arthritis, no diabetes, normal eyesight and hearing, normal blood pressure, no heart issues, and I still sleep through the night without peeing (awake or not, LOL!)

I did have a spot of melanoma last year, but caught it immediately before it spread.

On the other hand, I'm not nearly as flexible, or have the endurance I did. I walked 18 holes of golf yesterday and will again today, but it leaves me pretty wiped out when I do.

I too can see the end coming, but I've outlived my expected expiration date by almost half a century now. I've created a trust and will, made a note here on my computer to let Claudia know a few things for when "it" happens. And quite frankly, I won't be too upset when it does.

It's been a helluva ride.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
He was right!!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The original post was beautifully written.

Mr. Chaimberlain, You ever do any professional writing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She's only 56... (don't tell her I let that slip.)

You sir are a brave, brave man.

No one here wold ever let that get back to her......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent OP and some great responses. Our family didn't have much and most around us didn't either, so as kids we just plunged ahead. Being fortunate to have great parents and some strong talents and physical abilities, I also was fortunate to have realized that those needed to be developed and used well. So, had a wonderful youth - no complaints whatsoever.

More than three score and ten later, it is certain that cold is colder, heavy loads are heavier, distances seem longer, minutes seem shorter, and the future not long.

But - having the benefits of powerful life experiences that bring knowledge, insights and compassion; talents and skills developed; jobs well done; music and designs created; countries and places explored; great friendships shared; lovely children grown; 57 years with a wonderful woman - I do not miss being young.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
I think I'm the reverse...all summer long, drenched in sweat, only enjoying morning and evening...I can't wait for cold and starting the woodstove.
I agree. And I can't recall that we have any month that I have not seen 100 or really dang close to it at some point over the years...only put wood in the stove twice this last "winter"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, bpimwheel, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,235
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.