Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I met a guy once that talked liked he had lots of commonsense.....but said he was a Democrat!!

Strange!

Freaking weird isnt it. A teacher called in to the conservative Joe Pags radio show. She was until after her conversation that day, a fan of his.

She agreed that a five year old who pointed a stick in school and said bang should be expelled. She felt that one day that stick or poptart or finger point could someday "be" a gun and supported a no tolerance gun policy.

Strangely, they never consider that any moslem immigrants could become a terrorist.

JellO smart.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by Steelhead
30 miles from town, in Alaska, me and a buddy anchor our 15' Whaler in a tidal creek and wade up 1/4 mile to catch some salmon.

We return in about 90 minutes and see the Whaler standing on its side in the water. We haul ass to get to it before it flips, we didn't make it.

There we are, in 4 feet of water with a 15' Whaler with a 60hp motor completely upside down. His rifle is on the bottom of the creek and we start casting salmon spoons to retrieve the shiet that's floating downstream.

It was a right good time.

Shoot, just a couple of months ago, pard and I took a Jon boat down the Carson River to hunt geese and ducks. Beached the craft and started to set up the spread. While still dark, felt a surge in the water, some kind of beaver dam or dike broke loose. Watched as it took the boat off the beach with it. Ran down stream with our waders on for quite a spell to catch that boat...

You ever tried flipping a 15' Whaler with a 60hp motor in 3 feet of water?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No but I bet there's swearing and grunting and straining when you do.

Do I win anything?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing like the other stuff here.

One of the best places to find birds around here is on the old sewage lagoons/lake just south of town, now a bird preserve. 15ft of old sh&t overlaid by shallow water made for quite a bizarre ecosystem. Too salty and alkaline for almost all fish it produces a kazillion midge larvae, droves of turtles that eat those larvae, and a couple of big alligators that eat the turtles (presumably).

All those midge larvae and the exposed sludge attracts hordes of migrating shorebirds in spring, as in many thousands.

One morning, mid April I'm doing a bird count for the refuge. First light, heavy mist. Up from the mudflat comes a crow-sized bird flying slowly towards me, heavy deep wingbeats. This mystery bird resolves itself into a big female peregrine falcon. It flies a quarter circle around me, twenty feet up fifty yards out, looking at me curiously. That same lack of fear got a lot of peregrines shotgunned back in the days. Then it flies off with that same steady wingbeat.

Four hours later, clear sunny day, I'm at a low vantage point overlooking the mudflat, possibly 10,000 shorebirds of various sorts and sizes on those flats. Suddenly the whole thing, every bird on the flats, springs into the air. From my left a dark blur angles down and sweeps through the middle of the rising flocks, looks to be somewhere well on the far side of 100 mph. Its a peregrine, prob'ly the same one.

The peregrine swoops up at the far end carried by its momentum and goes into a flat-winged soar. Its a hot day and the falcon rapidly gains height, circling without a wingbeat, higher and higher, disappearing northwards amid the cumulus.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
i might have known the owner of that plot. I do know late 70's high school classmate ended up at the state prison. Small problem with some cultivation near bagdad.

Or my time on the sheriff's department. Woman turning tricks in the forest by lynx lake, another on a park bench at thumb butte park, or for that matter over the 4th couple actively copulating on the court house square with people walking around.
then there was the hootch dug out of the side of a hill up on spruce mt, and camo'd over in the burn area. I could see movement in the hootch decided vietnam was not that far away for some.
or the pvc pipe irrigation for another grow in the bloody basin area.
then there were the homicides. Woman carved up on thumb butte trail, another killed and disembowelled and burned at alto off iron springs.
Don't want get started on the devil worship stuff.
or The guy that was a foot/panty sniffer. Would sneak into houses and steal soiled panties. We would find them after being washed properly stacked on indian hill. I could go on.
I was raised in prescott too, and still have a house there.

Roninphx,

Our cabin was on spruce mountain on the walker side. I saw some crazy things there and up around Big Bug. Probably lucky I never got hurt or attacked for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Spent many hours riding a dirtbike in very remote areas.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I once saw the mythical black panther. It was down south of Somerset KY, close to the Flat Rock Church.

The Strangest Animal I ever saw

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Huey Newton? Bobby Seale? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My partners and I were duck hunting one very warm october morning. We'set out the decoys and had been waiting for about 2 hours in the blind when this 30 something woman in a canoe puts ashore on the little island across from us. My bud is just getting ready to stand up and tell her to GTFO of there when she begins to strip off her clothes and starts to tan herself! Well far be it for us to interfere with that so we sit back and watch until the first flight of mallards comes in to the decoys! She was far enough away to be out of the line of fire so we popped up and let fly! We were treated to 6 drakes and one screaming woman desperately trying to get dressed and into her canoe at the same time.. laugh Short time later the harbor patrol comes by to bust our chops but since my partners dad is the division's captain we all just got a great laugh out of it!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by memtb
jmp300wsm, Back in the early 80's, wife,myself,and two kids were camped in a pop-up camper on Elmer's Island, La. Technically, only an island at high tide. With only one way in/out, we went into the island at low tide. The road (two track) took you about a mile through tall Marsh Grass to the beach, where you could go either right or left. We camped about about a half mile from the road on the beach. Around midnight we were awakened by commotion near the road/beach intersection. A large bon fire had been lit, and in the light we could see a large Uhaul or Ryder truck. Soon, a group of men (about 5 or 6) began walking back and forth from the truck into the surf and into pitch darkness. This "bucket brigade" continued for about 45 minutes. I'm guessing there's was a boat in the darkness. Going with just a gut feeling here, but they weren't offloading seafood!! It's a pretty helpless feeling being trapped with your family, and your only escape was passing within feet of what was probably a very big drug haul. By morning, other than sign of a large fire, no evidence of the nights activities. memtb

So the obvious question, did you catch any fish? Slept on that "island" more than twice when i was younger. Plenty of specks. Gigged a lot of flounders in the back bay at low tide. Good times.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While kayaking a spring flooded grass and timber bottom land, a pard and I saw a small bird of some kind land on the back of a bald eagle and ride it for several wing beats. The bird was harassing the eagle. It was slightly smaller than a sparrow, like a wren of some kind maybe, darting and pecking at the big bird as it flapped along slowly 40 feet above us. Twice the little bird zoomed onto the eagle’s back between its wings, pecked and then held on with its beak and rode the eagle. We were looking up into a fairly bright overcast sky and my eyes could not pick up color details on the small bird. It just looked dark against the clouds.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 1st successful suicide i wrote up. A young fella sealed off the garage at grandma's house. Hand, face, neck all blackened. Lips dried and curled back to show off what were once whitish teeth.

1st dead-body river pull i was called to. Sheriff Dept. didn't use the rescue-net...used the gaff instead (bad call there). The arm pulled mostly loose at the shoulder (body had been submerged for awhile and was wedged in rocks). Body was badly bloated and I nearly threw up at the smell.

One of 1st homicides i saw reminded me of Tombstone quote, "turn your head into a canoe". Win 30-30 at bad-breath smelling range - entry in front of right ear/below right eye into/through cheekbone. Exit site - top, rear left quadrant of cranial area above/behind left ear.

All were very strange to me....just seemed surreal.

Wildlife strangeness.... i saw a whitetail doe birthing a fawn while trotting across an open field to reach the cover of a small pine-tree stand. The fawns legs were sticking out the does rear-end. I felt terrible for that poor thing.

I love hunting, but am a firm believer in immediate death of the game animal - can't stand to see an animal, any animal, suffer.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
My son and I were lucky enough to spot this albino doe years ago while scouting for good bow stands....

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 9 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,434
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.