Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by KC
Check out this backpack

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

and this tent

REI Quarter Dome T-2

I have a bunch of packs and none are perfect. The Osprey Aether 85 is my current "go to" backpack because it's the most comfortable pack that I own. But it's not a hunting pack. The Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 will be my next backpack and maybe this time I'll get one closer to perfect.

I have owned and used an REI Quarter Dome T-2 for seven years and it's still my "go to" tent.

I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-1. It weighs only 2 1/2 pounds. But the manufacturer has used very lightweight materials to get that super low weight and the tent is really flimsy. I wouldn't buy another or recommend anyone else to buy one.

KC

Safe yourself some money and weight in the long run and get a stone glacier pack.

Here are the facts. Packs by Osprey and Stone Glacier that are the same size, weigh about the same. The Stone Glacier pack with required frame costs about twice as much as an equivalent Osprey Pack. The Osprey pack is designed for comfort when carrying moderate recreational backpacking loads. The Stone Glacier pack system is a heavy duty pack intended for carrying heavy loads and that's what you get for the extra money. But it doesn't weigh less and it's certainly not cheaper.

Stone Glacier 5900 with lid weight = 5.10lbs on Medium Krux with lid. empty - $659 including Frame & Lid

Osprey Aether 85, large frame, weight = 5# 4oz. empty - $330 complete

Both are good packs. But they are intended for different uses.

KC

Yeah that's my bad I thought this was the backpack hunting forum where often users carry more than moderator loads. I hate it what I get forums messed up and I end up on backpacking light wink

Yes it costs twice as much..... yes I like the Aether a lot and have used one extensively for general backpacking. That said you can continue to buy multiple OTC packs that carry moderate loads and keep searching for the Holy Grail and wonder why they just don't work as well or get a pack that is actually designed to handle 100 pounds with a frame to make that less miserable.

The difference is less than most spend on a rifle scope. And I would much rather hunt with a red field revolution rifle scope a seek outside, Kifaru, or stone glacier, than a fancy vx-3 $450 rifle scope and an Osprey Aether even as much as I like it.

GB1

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Scour ebay and craigslist for a size large Dana Designs Terraplane or Alpine. If you have a short neck and long torso and 34" inseam pants or less, get XL. If your waist >36", try to get one with a large waistbelt (most are medium).

My vintage large Dana Alpine weighs about 6.5 lbs, bought locally on craigslist for $50.

I'm only an angry wife away from buying this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-Alpine-LTW-backpack-size-large-/382060255241?hash=item58f490d809:g:l5EAAOSwuxFY01TM

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Vek
Scour ebay and craigslist for a size large Dana Designs Terraplane or Alpine. If you have a short neck and long torso and 34" inseam pants or less, get XL. If your waist >36", try to get one with a large waistbelt (most are medium).

My vintage large Dana Alpine weighs about 6.5 lbs, bought locally on craigslist for $50.

I'm only an angry wife away from buying this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-Alpine-LTW-backpack-size-large-/382060255241?hash=item58f490d809:g:l5EAAOSwuxFY01TM

Screw it - bought it anyway. I needed something on which to spray all of my leftover earthy spray paint.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Vek

Take mine... smile

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Comparing and Osprey, while a nice pack , is not really apples to apples. I could not recommend and osprey for a bear hide, or elk quarters. Sure you might get away with it ..especially if you have pack animal access, but if you don't they would not be my first choice.

I agree with you.

When I drop an elk in the backcountry, I carry out the first load of loose meat in the Osprey, then I switch to a bigger heavy duty pack to carry out the heavy quarters. Eventually I switch back to the Osprey to go back in and retrieve my camp.

At least that's the way I use to do it when I was young and strong like many of you guys. But now I use a horse to carry out the heavy quarters when I am in an area where horse rental is practical and available.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.