Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ebd10
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
[quote=ebd10][quote=260Remguy]

A lot of American sweat and blood went into building, maintaining, and defending The Canal, so giving up control of it seems like it was a bad thing. I strongly dislike and distrust the Chinese, but don't mind when they get bogged down in cesspools like Angola.

Agreed. My attitude sprang from the fact that I almost died from the Leptospirosis that I contracted there. I figured that, if that's what Panama had to offer, the Communists should be the ones to get it.

I don't think that anyone I knew got through J school without getting an infection.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ebd10
Even after all of these years, People STILL ask me why I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane, so I had to explain to them that they weren't perfectly good airplanes. They were AIR FORCE airplanes; built by the lowest bidder, maintained by high school dropouts, and piloted by personnel of questionable sobriety, and since 80% of all air traffic accidents happen during take-off or landing, jumping out eliminated half of that danger.

Ha!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Between the Marine Corps and the airlines I've been flying airplanes for about 25 years. I've never jumped out of one yet and God willing I won't ever have to. I figure it's a bad habit to get into for a pilot.

It's never really interested me & most of the other guys I fly with say the same thing. One pilot friend's wife wanted to do it a couple of years ago and tried to get him to go with her, he said here's the money, go have fun but I ain't doing it. She went and did it with a girlfriend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to try if before I die. (Preferably not JUST before I die).

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Same Here Kellory. It's on my bucket list.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I never, have or plan to. Anyone do it?

In my younger years, I jumped many times.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
9 jump chump, 5 at Airborne school and 4 in Ranger school. being a tanker, that was it for me. My buddies who did long stints in SF and 82nd and Ranger Batt are mostly getting knee and hip replacements now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not a chance... Even if the wings were gone an' the fuselage was on fire.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That isn't for me. I be scared of that

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

My mom did her first jump fourteen years ago to celebrate turning 70, she still goes every year.

"Skydiving with Grandma" has become a rite of passage, but none of her own children have jumped, including me.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The son of a friend was in the 82 Airborne. He told me that they did a jump for a bunch of VIP's. They were supposed to land in a field but someone screwed up and they landed in a parking lot full of cars. They had a number of broken legs and other injuries. He wasn't hurt. This was quite a few years ago. Hopefully they've fixed the problems since then.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Only 21 jumps. The army can take most of the fun out of most things. I did enjoy the uniform enhancements though.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I asked one of my ground hands one day...."Mose you wanna take a ride?" His reply was..."Naw suh Mr Rick! I ain't gwine no higher than corn pullin and no lower than tater diggin!"

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I did 20 skydives back in 1967. The first five were static line jumps where you had to pull a dummy ripcord and show it to the instructor back in the plane to prove you weren't panic frozen. Then they let you do freefalls. Despite being afraid of heights (that fear is absent when you fly, oddly enough) I loved parachuting. The most amazing thing is the absolute silence after the 'chute opens.

At the start of my junior year of ROTC, they told me that as a pilot candidate, the AF had too much invested in me to allow any risky hobbies. I was told to choose skydiving or an ROTC commission. That ended my skydiving career. Haven't made one since, but I have regular dreams about it. I think dreams are about as close as I'll get now.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Skydiving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

First jump was in Eagle River, Alaska in 1968. In the Air Force but had nothing to do with them. I was on my way to check on learning to fly and passed a field with some guys landing parachutes. (Got my pilots licensee in 1982) Finally quit in the early 90's due to back issues. (ruptured disc, team penning on a horse) USPA certified Jump Master, AFF Jump Master and Tandom Pilot.

Can not count the number of jumps I saw over those years but probably a couple hundred thousand....and I never saw a death. Yes it happens but it is fairly rare and like plane crashes, almost always the pilots fault. Taught hundreds to jump and the worst injury for any of my students was a sprained ankle or sore knee. You would see lots of banged up skydivers at the airport but if you asked, it was almost always something they did on a motorcycle, riding a horse, etc.... We were all adrenaline junkies and involved in lots of high speed activities. I still miss it terribly.

THE ONLY PERFECT AIRPLANE HAS A JUMP DOOR! Not jumping is like taking a hot little number out on a date and when she is all hot and ready, turning around and taking her home!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They don't even need an airplane around here - base jumping off the Perrine Bridge draws people from all over the world. NOT for me, just walking across that sucker and looking over the rail is enough to pucker me up.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
USMC 7113 Parachute Rigger guess what the finale exam was.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worse jump ever was the one that immediately preceded our SERE school.

Nearly had the squirts b/c of what i didn't know was gonna happen once on the DZ.

My Platoon Sgt. had been a TRADOC SERE instructor and had absolutely zero sense of humor. He was the NCOIC of our Company-Level training (supporting Cadre were other SERE Instructors he knew at Bragg). He was a sick phuouk through and through, but i learned a lot from him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never have.

My grandpa jumped once. In 1944, he was 19, on his 3rd mission. Spent a few weeks getting back and went back up for more.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dodgefan
"I had 50+ jumps while on jump status (which isn't a lot really), HALO guys typically number in the hundreds. I hated everyone of them. ..."

I have a good friend who lives in Los Angeles, a former Navy SEAL, Vietnam service. He grew up on the coast and at a young age, got into surfing, then snorkel and then SCUBA. He loved the ocean and being in it. The cold didn't bother him as he was used to it.

Once we were talking about SEAL training. He said that after BUD/S, he and his teammates went to Ft. Benning for parachute school. He said that the jump training was easy, considering the training they'd gone through in BUD/S ... but he hated every jump he made at Ft. Benning and every jump afterward. Said the only reason he jumped was because he had to. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,734
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.