Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I do not understand how a company can sell a man a ticket without having a seat to put his ass in.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The airline should have keep raising the anti till someone voluntarily gave up their seat. The guy they removed and his lawyers just hit the lotto. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
The airline should have keep raising the anti till someone voluntarily gave up their seat. The guy they removed and his lawyers just hit the lotto. Hasbeen

Army of Ambulance Chasers at the terminal to greet the Dr.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The airlines need to remember we pay their salaries. The over booking crap needs to stop. Just like TSA needs go to H3ll.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I do not understand how a company can sell a man a ticket without having a seat to put his ass in.

Ditto!!! It's time to end over booking on flights. Actually it should have never been allowed.
If a passenger is disruptive and not complying with the crew at face value the law is on the side of the crew. Not giving up a seat for a non medical emergency and just a staffing problem is over the top BS. mad

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
They should have known the situation before the boarded the plane & addressed it then with compensation high enough to get the number of takers required.

Really, really bad PR & they will pay in the end.

I try really hard to avoid United...........they are always my last choice in airlines. Their service has been piss-poor forever. Others aren't great, just not quite as bad as UA.

MM

Got a story about high compensation...

I don't remember what airport, but it was in the east and it was just before Christmas. Had a hour or so layover, the airport was awfully crowded, so I found a seat beside an elderly lady. We go to talking and she had 2 tickets to San Francisco, CA.

They were over booked and asking for volunteers to catch a flight that night, no takers. Then they would buy the tickets and put you on that night flight, still no takers or not enough takers (not sure which)

Then they offered double dollars and the night flight. When they offered this, the lady said out loud, "They will do better, I'll wait". Now she has my attention!

I asked what was going on and this is what she told me...

I bought these 2 ticket last January when prices were cheap. I don't want to go to CA, don't know anyone there, I'm here for the money. The airline is overbooked and willing to pay big bucks to keep people happy, so when the price is right, I'll sell both my tickets and go home.

Sure enough, the airline announced they would give $700 for any ticket and put the person on the night flight. The elderly lady went to the counter and sold both tickets $1400. She came back by and told me she made just under $1000 profit. She also told me she has tickets for every holiday. I asked her what happens if they aren't over booked and she said she would fly to where ever, stay a day or two and come home.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by KFWA
United biggest growing market is China

this video is the most viral video to ever hit China with 20m people watching it every 30 minutes yesterday.

United has a bit of a PR problem.

Not to mention the fact that the passenger appeared to be Chinese, or at least Asian.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by watch4bear
A doctor not in first class, wearing sweats and a t shirt, screaming like he was on fire? Maybe, but not likely.

You must have forgotten Zerocare and EHR. If he treats medicare pts its a wonder he can keep his practice open, unless he works for a hospital or jack in the box doc clinic.

You think im joking. Im not.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have no sympathy for the MD whining about " I have patients to see Monday!" Dude, so do I. Get over it. Over the past 30 years there have been a few instances where we had to call folks up and tell them I got stuck somewhere and won't be in. People are understanding. Of course, the way medicine is today, he probably works for a group and not himself, and will have some bean counting manager up his butt for not being in the office on time.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't fly first class, unless it's an awards upgrade. I'm a tightwad. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You think im joking. Im not.

I can tell your really serious.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hatari
I don't fly first class, unless it's an awards upgrade. I'm a tightwad. wink
I flew first class once...

Waiting for the plane to board in Phoenix, AZ. I had one of the 'cheap seats' near the back of the plane (I'm a tightwad too when it comes to airlines)>.

More and more passengers arrived near the gate - many were very young mothers with very young children.. I could see the handwriting on the wall.

Over the loudspeaker comes, "we have a few first class tix available........"

You've NEVER seen a 60+ year-old man run so FAST to that desk to spend $100 for the upgrade.. I could have passed Superman..

I get on the plane, like, first - and get the first seat in first class.. All the passengers move by as I'm sipping my first Jack and coke.. After all are on board, the lady from the desk comes on - sees me, looks toward the back of the plane, looks back at me and puts her finger in the air, circling it - then pointing back to the rear of the plane, then back at me with her arms in a 'baby-like' cradling and silently mouthing the 'baby-crying' image...

I.e., the seat I gave up was surrounded by crying babies...

Best hunsky I ever spent..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't selling a product you don't have considered fraud?

I don't know if united will win or lose in court, but the cost of the damage control is going to be higher than buying the crew a ride on a Leer jet.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'll be getting on a United flight to New Orleans in a few minutes. Wish me luck! eek

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of my civilian flying was done on the federal govt. dime. When free tickets or other incentives were offered I had to give any money and or tickets to the govt. It wasn't my money and that was the system so I never took the airlines up on it. Before I retired the policy was changed so I could keep the money or tickets but it never happened after the policy change.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I strongly urge UA staff to read and get training on de escalation :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De-escalation

almost every week at the to dog park I see arguments over which dog started the fight!

P.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Woman here in Anchorage was prosecuted some years ago for buying tons of tickets and using them to get bump vouchers...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am sure Unite Airlines will have a lawsuit, but TSA, whose security guards I am sure did the beating will have an even bigger lawsuit on their hands...

I simply fail to understand how nearly every flight is always overbooked. I'll bet 75%+ of the flights I am on (United or other) are overbooked and the airline gives cash, ticket vouchers and motel incentives for passengers to take a later flight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't happen to a nicer airline. Surliest flight attendants I have ever encountered.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As to how they can overbook and bump someone who has paid for a seat:

When you buy a ticket, whether you realize it or not, you are agreeing to the airline's "Contract of Carriage Document" (United's is here). FOX News published an article, Bumped from a flight? Know your rights before you fly , that covers it in detail.

Even if United was acting within the bounds of their rules, they behaved stupidly.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (204guy, 222ND, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,249
Posts18,525,115
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.