Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Woman here in Anchorage was prosecuted some years ago for buying tons of tickets and using them to get bump vouchers...

how is that illegal?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
Isn't selling a product you don't have considered fraud?

I don't know if united will win or lose in court, but the cost of the damage control is going to be higher than buying the crew a ride on a Leer jet.

I can't believe an airline allows some individual to make the call that puts something like this in motion without the backing of black and white policy. And that the person making the call to set it in motion wasn't juggling the mental math that this was going to cost....."Let's see, $1500/seat per volunteer vs. charter a plane or book our staff on (American, Alaska, Delta..."). People who aren't good problem solvers have no business being in positions of such responsibility. Win or lose in court, this will cost in PR for awhile. (And I would bet court will cost plenty on it's own.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
United Stock down 4% or 700 Million today. Stupid hurts.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I would be angry too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Woman here in Anchorage was prosecuted some years ago for buying tons of tickets and using them to get bump vouchers...

how is that illegal?

She was noticed after receiving several vouchers over several days and not flying. Her reservations showed she was not actually looking to travel.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mack5511

Good to see that market forces still work. Sucks though for those stockholders who had nothing to do with this. First thing I would suggest is replacing the CEO.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 340boy
Couldn't happen to a nicer airline. Surliest flight attendants I have ever encountered.

I found one that sure wasn't, once upon a time. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mack5511

Would have been cheaper to up the offers until somebody bit. I'm sure the doctor's phone is ringing constantly with layers today. Nothing like live streaming mistreatment of a paying passenger for your own gain. Quite possibly the worst PR move ever.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After watching that video, all I can say is fück those [bleep]ückers, fück #United, and fück #re-accommodate. They should sack CEO Oscar Munoz. Fück him.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hate bullies.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The Po-Po somewhat screwed the pooch too.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
stupidest thing in the world to escalate to that point rather then find rides on other carriers for the crew.
i flew 3 times a month for 15 years and only ever used UA one time. grumpiest FA's i ever encountered. plus they charge to much.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have a brother in law who works in airline industry, his take on this is:

- policy is to NOT board the plane until you know the overbooking is solved. Once in the seat, it's very hard to get em off.

- you have ZERO right to be on that plane, the policy you agreed to says they can remove you for no cause. they essentially agree to get you where your going, but not necessarily on that flight.

- It's very suspicious that the flight crew overbooking was so sudden that it came up after the boarding, that implies it was an emergency to get the flight crew down there, now. Which means without that, there was a plane down there that wasn't getting off the ground, so by inconvenience of 4 people, you get a full plane off the ground.

Law suit or not, legally United did nothing wrong, they followed policy and it was not United employees that did the physical end.

Outside of legal, United could be screwed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You ever read those 7 or 8 pages of small print that are included with your ticket?

Pretty sure is states somewhere and in very confusing language that they can grab your azzzz at will and haul it off the plane.

I bet I've logged well over 2-3M air miles and now have no desire to even go to an airport.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think they were paying with 'travel bucks' that can only be used on the airline.

If they'd have had hundred dollar bills and starting counting them out in front of everyone, they'd have had no problem getting takers.

One time I was boarding a plane in Boston on something like President day. Plane was packed. Got to my seat and there was a guy in it. Like musical chairs. Compared tickets and they both had the same seat number. Flight attendant yells at me to take my seat. I shrug and say it's occupied. She's pretty pissy.

Anyway I get off and the gate agent starts to rebook me and is going to give me a free ticket. I ask him how full the next flight is and he says it's packed. I say, "Look, book me first class all the way back and we'll call it even". He asks, "Are you sure?" I say, "you're' about to give me middle seats all the way to Portland, aren't you?" He looks at how tall I am (6' 5"). Next thing I'm drinking champagne and eating canapes. At the time I was flying a lot and the last thing I wanted was free tickets to anywhere.

Carpe' Scrotum
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago I was on a Lufthansa flight that was overbooked and the Germans handled it in a very positive way.

The airline kept offering higher and higher levels of compensation... seemingly without an upper limit.

I forget the value when they finally got enough people to cancel their flight, but I thought it was crazy, something like 7 times the cost of each seat.

It was a win-win situation -- passengers who took the buy-out laughed all the way to the bank, passengers who HAD to be somewhere on time were happy with their on-time departure, and Lufthansa got good public relations and had a plane load of satisfied customers in a festive mood for a fairly small cash layout.

Cost effective? Hell yes! It has been 8 or 10 years and Lufthansa is still my first choice when I cross the Atlantic! smile

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drive the Alcan rather than fly as it's easier on my nerves and I know the competence of the person in charge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb
A few years ago I was on a Lufthansa flight that was overbooked and the Germans handled it in a very positive way.

The airline kept offering higher and higher levels of compensation... seemingly without an upper limit.

I forget the value when they finally got enough people to cancel their flight, but I thought it was crazy, something like 7 times the cost of each seat.

It was a win-win situation -- passengers who took the buy-out laughed all the way to the bank, passengers who HAD to be somewhere on time were happy with their on-time departure, and Lufthansa got good public relations and had a plane load of satisfied customers in a festive mood for a fairly small cash layout.

Cost effective? Hell yes! It has been 8 or 10 years and Lufthansa is still my first choice when I cross the Atlantic! smile

John

Lufthansa has done well by me also, though I have only flown them 8 or 10 times? I wouldn't fly anyone else international, except maybe British Airways or Cathay Pacific?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,224
Posts18,524,645
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.