Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Taking the plunge!?
Good luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RickBin
I had both done December 13. Made it to SHOT a month later.

My experience: The first few days suck. After that, you get better fast.

The pills SUCK, but you gotta take them. When I got off them, I turned a huge corner and actually started getting out of bed and living again. The pills knocked me on my a$$ about as much as the actual surgery, at least after a week or so. But without them, the PT the first few days won't be as effective. Take the pills. Grin and bear the PT the first few days. Then you should start feeling better by leaps and bounds.

Ice. A LOT. Makes a huge difference.

Four months later, and I am in the weight room doing leg presses and curls, walking stairs two at a time, and pretty much feeling normal.

Godspeed!

But you're a steed!

Better than ice is a polarcare unit that pumps ice water through a "collar" around your knee.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good luck! Do the therapy, makes all the difference.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Well, its a little too late now, but if you need it on the other knee, id go to San Antone and get that lady Dr Marshall to do the
small incision surgery and be well and done in a third the time.

Good fortune on it.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/10/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'll be praying for you buddy. Doc tells me I'll need one when I'm older.I live with injections and a few pain meds for now.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciated.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciated.

Yeah, get that leg going, then take me, Babe and Doc R you know where quail hunting. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
JG,

I have no direct experience, but plenty of my patients have had knee replacements and most all of them report they bounce back quickly and without pain!.

Keys are: take your meds as directed and bust your hump doing the rehab. I know you will do fine, and am confident you will be thrilled to move around normally without chronic pain.

PS- should have played 1b! wink

There was this guy named Will Clark that screwed that deal up......

No talent Redneck! wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't has a knee replacement but I have had at least one major surgery.

I highly recommend an electrical recliner

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
H
As others have said, do the rehab exercises. The first week is the toughest. For me it was an absolute nightmare, but it was self inflicted. The doc told me there was no way I was going to hurt the knee, so go for as much activity as I could stand. The first week I worked the knee until the pain got to the point I was starting to gray-out. That certainly SUCKS, but after about a week, the pain dropped off to almost nothing and recovery was very rapid. I was 47 years old at the time, and being younger helped I'm sure. The incision was the only thing I had to really worry about after the first week to 10 days. You hear stories of the nightmare of rehab, and it's true, but for me at least, that initial week of hell paid off. If you can take the pain meds DO IT! That will allow you to really push early on. Opiates make me horribly sick so I did it cold and just pushed through, but if I had to do it again, I would just get sick and to hell with the pain. This is my experience, and yours may be different obviously, but this new knee is absolutely the best quality-of-life procedure I have had. No crutches, no walker, cane for a short time, then normal gait. I used the cane for longer than I probably needed to simply because it is so easy and makes such a huge difference in getting around. I'd use a cane everyday even now, but I'm to damned arrogant to do it. Canes are great!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Luck!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck. Plenty of time to get ready for hunting season. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having my left knee done on April 21st. What advice can you give me, pre and post op?

If they will do it without giving you a spinal block, do that. Everybody that I know with Sciatica real bad, has had one of these. Mine is being treated, but little helps and it does not show up for a few years. They gave me an option to not have it, but said the DR. really preferred one. I had one, and it might not have caused the problem, but again all that I have talked to have had the spinal. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had a replacement, hamstring reattach,, and leg strengthening last July. Packed out 3 deer Nov/ Dec... no problem. At 70, 6'5", 210lbs, I refused cane, walker, potty chair! Very tough at first. I forced myself through early rehab, which I felt was the most important part. Hard work early on. lots of extensions and curls, and stretching. ICE! 40 minutes power walk, resistance bike tng, alternate days..sets of stairs to equal 500 steps a day. Didn't use pain meds. Stuck to occasional Advil. Many days I had to force myself. Most physically, emotionally, challenging thing I have done!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having my left knee done on April 21st. What advice can you give me, pre and post op? How long before a guy can get around pretty god without canes or crutches? Thanks.

My son is a PA in a major, & highly acclaimed clinic that does only orthopedic surgeries. His doc alone, did over 900 surgeries in the past year, not all knees though.

Given a good doc & a good hospital or clinic, it's very routine today, assuming you have no unusual circumstances.

Follow the post-op instructions exactly & do the re-hab religiously & you will be fine in a couple of months........do not attempt to rush either the healing process or the re-hab by pushing too hard.

Not a pleasant thing to undergo, but all in all, virtually a 100% success rate in routine cases.

Good Luck for a full recovery.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi there, using husbands computer. I had my L knee done Jan. 18th.
First I would say it depends on age and physical condition. It is now almost 90 days post-op for me and I am driving, no canes/walker. I still get tired at end of the day and sometimes small amount of swelling, pain maybe at a 2/3, not much. I take 600mg Ibuprophen per doctor, it helps. I am a young 70 yr old retired nurse in pretty good shape. However, I heard and read from chat rooms that it takes 90 days to feel human again! They are right! If younger, sooner.
Advice. For the first 2-3 days you will feel pretty good because they inject your knee with drugs to help ease the pain. However when that wears off, it hurts like hell. So take your pain pills religiously and have some help the first 3 weeks. You will be able to bath (with bench) and go to the bathroom without help, but all the rest - forget it. Then you will need help for the next few weeks with meals, transportation, etc. Please do your exercises! No hunting for 6-9 months or per doctor. I am glad I had it done, feel so much better, but it is a process. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello JG,
I'm 57 and also 6'1" and 240. I had my right knee replaced January 5th, 2017, and my left knee replaced March 14th, 2017. Both were outpatient surgeries. I showed up at the surgery center at 5:30am for a 7am surgery, and was home watching my own TV by 1pm. My advice is follow all instructions from the surgeon, and do everything that the therapist asks you to do. Don't be afraid to take your pain meds, and ice your knee for 20 minutes every hour you're awake. The most important thing is to work on bending and straightening as soon as possible. From the time you leave the operating room, it's a race against scar tissue. Good luck and don't hesitate to message me if you need any advice or just someone to vent to.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Having my left knee done on April 21st. What advice can you give me, pre and post op? How long before a guy can get around pretty god without canes or crutches? Thanks.

My uncle was moving around pretty good within a few days. His was over 10 years ago now but I don't recall him having any issues with it since.

Good luck to you sir.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
JG,

I have no direct experience, but plenty of my patients have had knee replacements and most all of them report they bounce back quickly and without pain!.

Keys are: take your meds as directed and bust your hump doing the rehab. I know you will do fine, and am confident you will be thrilled to move around normally without chronic pain.

PS- should have played 1b! wink

There was this guy named Will Clark that screwed that deal up......

Yeah, like he's going to amount to anything. lol
No talent Redneck! wink

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, no need for fancy ice machines. Four bags of cheap frozen peas and a good ace bandage are all you need. One under your knee, one on either side, and one on top all surrounded by an ACE bandage. 20 minutes for every hour you're awake for the first 3-4 weeks. I was on a walker for a week, then a cane for a week, then nothing. Ice and pain meds are your friend.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 74 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,230
Posts18,485,651
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.