Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hoping all goes well. Doc told me I'm a candidate, left knee is shot.. Also said at 63 perhaps too young as they last on average 15 years. Went the expensive route for now, Stem cell injections. Not covered by my insurance $1600.. It has helped, but still not anything close to what it was before. Will see and might be sooner than later on the replacement. I know the ORTHO is going to say more Stem cell shots.. The knee replacement is covered by insurance. It is truly sucking to start getting old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
No, my information is correct and my conclusions are true.
You must be a doctor.

Hate to tell you, it says "MD" after your name, not "GOD"

You are, hate to tell you, not infallible.

Sir, this has nothing to do with my fallibility -- of course I am. And God knows I am not Him! but the conclusions you have come to are incorrect and to make pronouncements that might cause confusion and distrust among some here who might be facing these anesthesia procedures on the advice of their providers are wrong.

Please stick to what you know. I don't know trucks and truck drivers so will refrain from lecturing others on the same.

JG I hope things are going well.

Edit: for clarity.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/25/17.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A couple of people at work have had it done. They all say they should have done it sooner.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hanco
A couple of people at work have had it done. They all say they should have done it sooner.

I've not met anyone that has had a TKA say that they wished they had waited longer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Hoping all goes well. Doc told me I'm a candidate, left knee is shot.. Also said at 63 perhaps too young as they last on average 15 years. Went the expensive route for now, Stem cell injections. Not covered by my insurance $1600.. It has helped, but still not anything close to what it was before. Will see and might be sooner than later on the replacement. I know the ORTHO is going to say more Stem cell shots.. The knee replacement is covered by insurance. It is truly sucking to start getting old.

I didn't think age was that much a factor, anymore. I had both mine done in March of 2006, and I was only 52. My local Orthopedic guy was putting me off, saying I had to wait until I was older. So I went to Dartmouth-Hitchcock in NH, and the guy there said I had the knees of someone 75. He said the parts of the artificial knees (at least back then) are replaceable, and it's not like you need total replacements when they start to wear out. You need to do some research on Orthopedics outside your immediate area. I can't imagine that anyone now would say 63 is too young? Good luck to you.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks again fellas. A few thoughts so far:

1. Yes, lots of ice is good
2. Yes, PT sucketh, bad, but it will lead to good things
3. When it comes to a quality of life thing, like it did to me, I was eager to make some changes, even at 56.

4. Whatever "block" they gave me was injected above the knee cap in front, and affected only the front of the joint. When it wore off after a couple/three days I think I may have invented a few new words.....shazam that was painful.

5. The back and sides of my knee are very bruised and swollen all over. Docs at PT say it is a very "violent" procedure to say the least.

I'm anticipating great things out of this. Once again, I appreciate all of your positive responses.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The knee block is a wonderful thing.
It may swell so much that you think the skin will burst during PT, but it won't.
The bruising will go away soon, relatively thinking.
Best wishes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
JG, I just turned 60 and have had both done. Played football and worked on my feet for many years. They are not as good as the real thing but the pain will subside and if I can tell you one thing it is do EXACTLY what the Pt and docs want. I can't tell you in words how important it is. I know many that didn't and the do not have the range of motion that you will want. I have 120 degrees with both and hunt and fish etc. I have walked 14 miles deer hunting last year one day and could not have done that with the bad ones with all the Vicodin in the world. The bike works great for stretching scar tissue buy lowering the seat as you warm up. I promise it gets better and you will be off pain meds to do normal stuff. Good luck

Last edited by goodshot; 04/25/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had both done. They put my knees in a 70lb hydrolic bending/straighting machine right off the bat.keeps it from stiffening up.
Do the phyisical therapy,follow the at home instructions and you ll be fine.i get around pretty good now,as compared to hardly being able to walk before.best of luck.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
JG take care of yourself and listen to the Dr's.

I had a friend that went to engineering school, when he graduated he started working for Howmedica in the 70's. He was the chief engineer and I guess witnessed a lot of knee operations. That company was a pioneer in joint replacements and were eventually bought by Pfizer. Let's just say people that have them done now are lucky compared to the earlier experiments.

I hope I never have to get that procedure done. Hang in there

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
No, my information is correct and my conclusions are true.
You must be a doctor.

Hate to tell you, it says "MD" after your name, not "GOD"

You are, hate to tell you, not infallible.

Sir, this has nothing to do with my fallibility -- of course I am. And God knows I am not Him! but the conclusions you have come to are incorrect and to make pronouncements that might cause confusion and distrust among some here who might be facing these anesthesia procedures on the advice of their providers are wrong.

Please stick to what you know. I don't know trucks and truck drivers so will refrain from lecturing others on the same.

JG I hope things are going well.

Edit: for clarity.

I was surprised how much the anesthesiologist got for 'letting me sleep without dying' when I had my knee orthoed. Then again, I suspect one might rather not hire the lowest bidder for that role either.

Glad to read sound thoughts and advice on this topic as the inevitable looms. frown

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider

3. When it comes to a quality of life thing, like it did to me, I was eager to make some changes, even at 56.

4. Whatever "block" they gave me was injected above the knee cap in front, and affected only the front of the joint. When it wore off after a couple/three days I think I may have invented a few new words.....shazam that was painful.

5. The back and sides of my knee are very bruised and swollen all over. Docs at PT say it is a very "violent" procedure to say the least.

I'm anticipating great things out of this. Once again, I appreciate all of your positive responses.

If one does not have a strong stomach, don't watch the TKA procedure on youtube.

The tongue-in-cheek name for orthopods is 'carpenter'. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
How did it start JG? Never had an issue but lately UP the stairs is a real challenge. Working that rail like a pull up champ!!

Thanks and Godspeed!!

JG played pro baseball and was a catcher.  Come with the territory.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

It's a reason I did a sciatic nerve block also along with the femoral because as the latter blocks the front of the knee, the sciatic blocks the back of the knee. A third of all knee patients will have serious pain at the back of the knee without this block. I would insert catheters next to both nerves and bump in local anesthetic for a day to day and a half. I then added a general anesthetic for the procedure for control and patient comfort -- the time flies as they say.

But it's important to understand as in most things there is more than one way to skin a cat and there are many other approaches to getting it done so I am not saying my way is the only right way, just the process I came to rely on generally.

I had one former NFL player, tall, lanky, muscular who wanted a "straight vanilla" general -- no nerve blocks. Said he could deal with pain and man he could; rehabbed like a man possessed but it was generally in line with his approach to all of life.

It's true it is a "violent" operation. Orthopedists are basically bone carpenters with saws, drills, and hammers. Before the new goes in the old must come out.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What is the 'knockout", they use for the colonoscopy?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Primarily Propofol -- a great drug-- though there are a few other "tools" in the kit.

Of course even a great drug can be used in the wrong way as Michael,Jackson would tell you.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.