Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by broomd
The UA contract clearly said they could remove any passenger for any reason, should they? No, not in my opinion. But it is in writing.
Watching that sniveling pussy scream like a stuck pig was pathetic, and nobody is talking about that...giving the wimp a complete pass after that pathetic display.

They should have done some real damage to the slimy lawsuit-seeker. When they told him to get his ass up, he should have gotten up. The rest is justified unless he was physically unable to rise.
When he ran back onto the plane? Criminal trespass charges...

I agree and it turns out there is more to this guy than meets the eye, 98 drug charges and soliciting gay sex from patients.

http://www.lex18.com/story/35123225...ntified-as-troubled-elizabethtown-doctor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4401980/Dr-dragged-United-swapped-drugs-secret-gay-sex.html

Not exactly the hero folks are looking for.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
crow hunter, the gate agent simply can't push aside a policy and say "wow, this is stupid, I should just offer him another $500" Might (MIGHT) get the guy off the plane, but would cost that person their job.

There are 200+ people who didn't take the offer. Yeah, they should have upped it, but the gate person can't do that if the company policy outlines EXACTLY what they are supposed to do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
So, for those who think they should get off. If you were headed to Africa on a once in a lifetime safari how would you feel if they asked you to get off and wait until a later flight?

I had a flight cancelled just last week due to scheduling conflicts. I was headed to Hawaii for a hunt, and I was planning to meet someone in Honolulu that day. I had to take a flight the next day. It sucked but it was what it was and I waited until the next day to go. It would have made no difference if I had thrown a fit or not about it.

Outfitters deal with cancelled or delayed flights all the time and adjust their client pick up times accordingly.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
The UA contract clearly said they could remove any passenger for any reason, should they? No, not in my opinion. But it is in writing.
Watching that sniveling pussy scream like a stuck pig was pathetic, and nobody is talking about that...giving the wimp a complete pass after that pathetic display.

They should have done some real damage to the slimy lawsuit-seeker. When they told him to get his ass up, he should have gotten up. The rest is justified unless he was physically unable to rise.
When he ran back onto the plane? Criminal trespass charges...

I agree and it turns out there is more to this guy than meets the eye, 98 drug charges and soliciting gay sex from patients.

http://www.lex18.com/story/35123225...ntified-as-troubled-elizabethtown-doctor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4401980/Dr-dragged-United-swapped-drugs-secret-gay-sex.html

Not exactly the hero folks are looking for.

So [bleep] what.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OregonCoot

As I understand it, United was trying to make room for some of their own employees. Hardly an emergency situation or one which justifies inconveniencing a paying passenger to the degree which they chose to do.

Wife and I and some friends were in Cancun a couple years ago and the entire group of us were ready to board our full flight home.
The airline had no pilots and staff available as all that were scheduled for our flight were past legal working hours, in other words, they had to rest to be able to legally work more.

We were sent to some cheesy-assed hotel overlooking a parking lot for the next 24 hours. There were 150 of us.

Getting staff to an airport might mean the difference between a scheduled full flight and a cancelled full flight.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Don't know about others, but when I am on a trip that REQUIRES me to be somewhere, I schedule to get there the day before. To much can happen, like this, or just in the weather/mechanical realm. It's saved my butt twice, once an elk hunt in ID, once a cruise in Greek Islands.

That's all well and good on a vacation, but when you're a business traveler gone all the time that isn't an option. Some months I'll get on a commercial flight 5-6 times, getting there a day early on each trip would cost almost a week at home, that's a lot when you've only got a week and a half at home that month. It's also a lot of lost productivity for a business traveler that doesn't have the luxury of sitting around for a day twiddling his thumbs, many will take an overnight to europe, change into a business suit on the plane & immediately go to a meeting after landing in Paris, spend all day working then sleep and be on the first plane back to the states the next morning. That's their weekly routine, it's not the same as a vacation every couple of years where you can afford to take an extra day getting to/from it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
crow hunter, the gate agent simply can't push aside a policy and say "wow, this is stupid, I should just offer him another $500" Might (MIGHT) get the guy off the plane, but would cost that person their job.

There are 200+ people who didn't take the offer. Yeah, they should have upped it, but the gate person can't do that if the company policy outlines EXACTLY what they are supposed to do.

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. There were multiple ways to handle this, that's what managers are there for. This was a huge screw up by the gate agent and her immediate bosses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

The Dr. sounds like quite the butt love'n, drugged up POS, and a complete pussy at the same time but assuming the videos show the truth, it doesn't make up for the beating he got....
The hell it don't! Should have beat the druggie POS 'moe senseless, right on cam...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weather causes a lot of problems out of the control of the airlines or the passengers.

This United situation was not handled well, we all agree.

But often decisions do have to be made that inconvenience one or a few, in order to take care of a couple of hundred people.

Like that planeload of people waiting for a crew in Louisville, to make meetings, or attend weddings and funerals, or to go on a hunting trip. Their needs count, too.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It might be smart to buy a few lears to use as a Taxi service for the crews and avoid this kind of bad PR.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Soo ah broomd, you knew at the time the Dr. was all the things you profess him to be? Fascinating.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Don't know about others, but when I am on a trip that REQUIRES me to be somewhere, I schedule to get there the day before. To much can happen, like this, or just in the weather/mechanical realm. It's saved my butt twice, once an elk hunt in ID, once a cruise in Greek Islands.

That's all well and good on a vacation, but when you're a business traveler gone all the time that isn't an option. Some months I'll get on a commercial flight 5-6 times, getting there a day early on each trip would cost almost a week at home, that's a lot when you've only got a week and a half at home that month. It's also a lot of lost productivity for a business traveler that doesn't have the luxury of sitting around for a day twiddling his thumbs, many will take an overnight to europe, change into a business suit on the plane & immediately go to a meeting after landing in Paris, spend all day working then sleep and be on the first plane back to the states the next morning. That's their weekly routine, it's not the same as a vacation every couple of years where you can afford to take an extra day getting to/from it.

Well, the other side of that coin for the business traveller is that since you're doing business, you need to plan for a certain amount of unpredictable SNAFU's when it comes to airline travel. They overbook flights, they cancel flights, they bump people off flights. All the time.

I have had to take overnight layovers that I didn't want. I've had to rent a car in Dallas/Chicago/Atlanta and drive 4-6 hours to get to the meeting I had scheduled, because the connecting flight wasn't gonna fly. I've had to call the hospital I was travelling to and tell them I wouldn't be at their ER at 0700 the next morning because my commercial flight was socked in.

And guess what? The world didn't end. People made accommodations and life went on. That's just how commercial air travel goes.

I have been in situations where I listened to the gate agent bump up the incentives, with nobody coming forward. A couple of times I've gone up to the agent and told them that I'd take their deal, IF they gave me a voucher for the FULL cost of a night in the airport Hilton/Marriott/whatever. Both times they snapped my offer up like a duck on a junebug... so don't tell me the gate agents don't have some bargaining authority!

I have some sympathy for people who don't like being computer-selected to not fly, but I recognize that this part of the contract you have with the airline. If nobody will volunteer and accept the incentives, it's gonna get ugly. But screaming and crying and making the security guys drag you off the plane like an unruly toddler negates the sympathy I might have had.

Yes, United Airlines has a PR problem. They need a better way to bump people off flights, and a better way to transport their flight crews in emergency situations. I expect they'll come up with something.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tracks
It might be smart to buy a few lears to use as a Taxi service for the crews and avoid this kind of bad PR.

Believe me, the crews would love that.
But it all comes down to money, and keeping the ticket prices as low as possible.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Soo ah broomd, you knew at the time the Dr. was all the things you profess him to be? Fascinating.

No, not at all.

He may be a model Buddhist.
But the squealing, cryin'-assed display I watched by him when he was asked to get up was disgusting. I simply have no tolerance for it.
Typical 'victim' looking for his next score.
He may score some big coin from UA, but with these latest 'druggie' 'mo character revelations, his ass is toast.

Did anyone else notice the 'barely conscious' doctor clinging to his phone with kung-fu grip on the way down the aisle?

POS...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Their is no way to spin this by saying "we were just following the rules", that's trying to pass the buck and remove any element of common sense from the equation. There are multiple ways this could have been handled which wouldn't have resulted in this outcome which is going to cost United a lot more than the doctor in the long run.

Following established protocol (assuming it is legal protocol) is about the only way a company isn't liable when something like this happens these days. The protocol may or may not have a shred of common sense, but by following it an employee is covering themselves and their company. It is unfortunately a CYA world.

She decided she'll show him who's boss, the cops are called in and this ensues. Stupidity follows because of one person's permanent chip on her shoulder.

This is a classic example of jumping to conclusions. Nobody here knows what the full story is, what happened before or after the video(s) were made and what events happened leading up to or after the incident.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I hate to see thing like this happen, but it can be to your advantage, if you're not in a hurry.

Back in the days when Southwest still sold round-trip-tickets, I had finished a job in NH and was headed back home. Flying out of Manchester, NH headed to New Orleans, La., with a stop in Baltimore, Md.

It was Thanksgiving weekend and they were overbooked. I was left behind in Baltimore because of a gate clerk. I raised a fuss, so they paid me in cash for the round-trip ticket, put me in a motel for the night, bought my meal that night and breakfast the next morning, and paid taxi fares. Just over $600 in cash, for the ticket. Paid for the hotel, meals, and taxi with vouchers.

Next morning I board a plane in Baltimore headed to Birmingham, Al. then onto NO. Got to Birmingham and it was one of those quick stops, don't get off plane, but they were overbooked and asked for 1 volunteer to give up their seat. They would give equal 'air dollars' for you ticket and get you on a flight latter that afternoon for NO.

I volunteered, and some young fellow got my seat. The gave me just over 600 'air dollars' and I volunteered to stay longer if they were overbooked on the next flight, if they would buy my ticket again. The agent saw where they had paid cash for the ticket once and now 'air dollars' for the ticket again, and guaranteed me that they would have a seat for me on the next plane, and they did.

First of, let me just say, I hate United. If they'd been smart, they would have just kept raising the stakes.

I used to set myself up to get bumped all the time. On frequent flights I'd take for business or pleasure, I'd pick the flights I knew were the most popular and usually heavily booked.

For example: MIA to CUN is a 1 hour and 10 min flight and that sometimes includes a gratuitous run down the hotel zone, and the usual circling to land.

I'd set myself up on the mid-morning flights when I was going down to fish or just relax with ex-wife or GF. Used to take a bump often from AA on those flights. Not much difference in getting there at 10:30-12 and 12:30-2. I usually wait for comps to get in the $400 range. Some people will waffle at $250'ish. Greedy bastids. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

The Dr. sounds like quite the butt love'n, drugged up POS, and a complete pussy at the same time but assuming the videos show the truth, it doesn't make up for the beating he got....
The hell it don't! Should have beat the druggie POS 'moe senseless, right on cam...

You gotta pointlaugh

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Don't know about others, but when I am on a trip that REQUIRES me to be somewhere, I schedule to get there the day before. To much can happen, like this, or just in the weather/mechanical realm.

Exactly...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OregonCoot

As I understand it, United was trying to make room for some of their own employees. Hardly an emergency situation or one which justifies inconveniencing a paying passenger to the degree which they chose to do.

Wife and I and some friends were in Cancun a couple years ago and the entire group of us were ready to board our full flight home.
The airline had no pilots and staff available as all that were scheduled for our flight were past legal working hours, in other words, they had to rest to be able to legally work more.

We were sent to some cheesy-assed hotel overlooking a parking lot for the next 24 hours. There were 150 of us.

Getting staff to an airport might mean the difference between a scheduled full flight and a cancelled full flight.

So charter a small plane if you're too cheap to properly incentivize paying customers. Once they're seated, negotiating for paid seats is bound to be a bit more expensive, but it would surely be cheaper than a chartered plane or a lawsuit. Placing hands on a customer whose only indiscretion was buying a ticket and being randomly selected by a computer is really, and rightly, asking for the lawsuit. Previous legal actions on the part of he on whom hands were placed should have nothing to do with it. Neither should it matter whether that person is Beyonce' or Dwayne Johnson.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.