Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got my second royalty check a week ago. The publisher discounted 85% of the books just enough that my lower royalty rate kicked in. The reduction of my royalty was just enough to pay the difference between what the publisher received at the higher royalty rate and what he received at the lower rate. In other words it cost them almost nothing to discount the books another three percent and it cost me over half my royalty. This makes my royalty payment $1.61 unless it is foreign sales then it's about $.80. I read and signed the contract expecting fair treatment. That's a lick on me. The contract goes on to say that I have to give them first right of refusal on any books I write on a similar subject and the contract runs until the end of the copyright on the last book of mine that they publish. They've already asked me to write another book so they are not going to turn it down. I don't know how long the copyright lasts but I'll be dead long before the copyright on my current book expires. So...if I write another book they will continue to pay me 5% of wholesale because I am locked into this rotten contract. I've talked to a Wyoming lawyer and she says Wyoming law will not let me out of the contract. I don't think I'll write the second book. The first one was a labor of love. Under the circumstances the second one will just be to line the publisher's pockets. I AIN'T DOING IT!!!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
David, bitter pill to swallow. Predatory people suck.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
David,That sucks !!!! I guess Marris needs to be the Author of the next savage book ,and use a different publisher !!!! crazy crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I remember correctly Murray came from the book publishing world and published his own. He probably did okay on his book. Others I have talked to have had the same type of experience as you...publisher is the only one that makes money. frown mad

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sorry to hear that David! I imagine they had a gaggle of lawyers craft that agreement so the deck is pretty well stacked.

Will there be a second printing of your book?

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That stinks David, I'm sorry it turned this direction for you. Your book is a labor of love, we and history benefited from it, that will never change.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's not right. You would think they would treat authors who create what they sell better! I have some friends who wrote natural history books and they made 35 scents per hard cover book!?!?! Again labors of love. The authors that make $$$ write "dime novels" that sell in the millions...
David, you can sleep well knowing we ALL appreciate your first Savage book and the work that went into it!

Last edited by Savageupnorth; 04/13/17.

Bruce
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Publishers wouldn't exist without writers. The problem is that writers want to see their work published so bad that they sign lousy contracts with predators who are only in it to make money.
The really unfortunate thing about this is that in my case I'm not going to write the book. I have a couple of collections lined up to include in the book that are owned by guys who are already starting to sell off their rifles or are thinking about it. Once these guns get scattered to numerous people it will be much more difficult to include these rifles in a book.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David, Sorry to hear that, it's very unfortunate, we all know how much time and effort you put into it, it would be nice if you actually got rewarded for it. I still would like to write a book, but I was told several years ago by an local author and publisher not to expect to make money on it and I would not expect a book on 22's to become a very big seller anyway, I thought with the subject of your book you would do alright - not just the publisher.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David, It is completely understandable to walk away due to circumstances. And a darn shame to lose momentum and the potential to further document Vintage Savage Arms.
I agree with Don above, "there's more than one way to skin a cat". smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B3

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gene, whatever you do don't use my publisher. I wish I knew who to recommend. The lawyer also told me that what happened to me happens a lot with first time authors. I know another writer who had a similar experience with the same publisher.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've heard 3rd hand that something similar happened with Bailey Brower and his book on pistols.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, ain't that a kick in the head. I know you put your heart in it. Bum deal!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don has it. Don't let the bastards keep the material from being recorded.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Realistically, with copyrights lasting 75 years I'm surprised your lawyer thinks that contract is enforceable. That's like a 75 year non-compete, which under most state laws would be unenforceable without some type of monetary compensation during that time. Once you stop getting payments for your current book I'd think it would be limited by some "reasonable amount of time" according to the state laws that your contract says it will be interpreted under.

But I am not a lawyer, and definitely don't know anything about your contract.

Either way you are probably hosed because even if I'm right and you can get out of it, the cost of fighting the contract with a lawyer would probably far outweigh any profits from a future book.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad news David. I was looking forward to seeing more of your work...

maybe co author one ? use a different name ? gotta be away around those pri#%s .. frown

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

David, Welcome to the wonderful world of writing. I truly feel your pain, my friend.

I've had things kinda like that happen twice. The first one was an scope reticle deal where I got totally screwed.

The second was when my editor, at the magazine I'd written for fifteen years, docked my article pay by 40%. No reason, other than he told me, "You're not worth the money."

David, at that point, I walked away from the firearms industry and never looked back. Greedy buggers.

Anyway, your predicament is why a lot of writers self-publish these days. It takes a little forward-looking capital, but it surely increases your profit.

I'll probably be doing a book, based on my online blog (350,000 words and counting) in a year or two. And I'll self-publish.

Yeah, there's nothing quite like seeing your name on the cover of a publication ...

By the way, I love your book. I bought mine from Amazon, mostly because of the Prime thingie. BUT, if I'd have known you were going to get screwed-over, I would have bought the book directly from you and sent you an extra $10 or so.

Anyway, I feel your pain and apologize that there are so many greedy corporate-sorts in this world.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the comments guys. My Wyoming lawyer suggested I contact the Pa. bar assn. and ask for a recommendation of a lawyer who handles contract disputes involving creative works. I will probably do that on Monday. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate your efforts and regard my two signed copies highly. All the best and lots of luck as you consider your future endeavors.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
David, I also bought your book and enjoy it very much. as a long time savage 99 enthusiast, I really appreciate the work you put into this book!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1eyedmule, 204guy, 10Glocks, 1234, 007FJ, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 16,981 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,372
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.