-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good post Denton, always good to see superstition skewered by the facts.

Another fella who made a good effort at dumbing down the science to the level an average Joe could grasp was Robert McCoy in "Modern Exterior Ballistics".

Going to sleep theory is not all that mystical actually. I take no position regarding the issue but note the graph on the OP is more than just a spiral. There are two modes of precession displayed, one the slow cycle and the other a fast cycle, indicated by the small dips in the larger arc. Fast cycle precession stems from bullet imbalance on the axis of rotation and does null in fairly short order. The larger arc, or the slow cycle precession diminishes to some degree as a function of Sg, but it does not null.

Where this puts the bullet on the target is for you fellas to debate. Beer helps.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does this phenomena have anything to do with what Litz wrote about Nosler's LRAB BC (and his BC bullets in general) being overstated if the bbl is "under-twisted" or the bullet is slightly under-stabilized?

.277/150 is listed @ .625 but I believe he said that's only true through a ~1:8 twist and a standard 1:10 .277 bbl yields something in the mid-high .5's for BC.

Hoping I didn't start an all new argument with the above ?'s.

Last edited by horse1; 04/08/17.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted By Armednfree
Is this why my 284 doesn't group well at 100 yards but 200 and beyond it groups great? Out to 1000.

No, it explains why what you claim isn't possible.
Bryan Litz wants to see you shoot to prove it's true.
He will pay your expenses if you can show him.

There could be a number of factors in that, equipment and shooter related. But the fact remains that with that rifle alone my groups measure less by MOA at longer range than at 100. Not by a great deal though, but it is consistently there. If it is a parallax issue then it is not enough for me to see.

So, when I got my chit together it will shoot 5 shots at about .2 but then only .3 at 200. Of course that is on a flat calm day.

Rifle is a Winchester 70 with a PAC NOR Super Match 28 inch in .284 with a .315 neck. I had PAC NOR mount the barrel. Scope is a Sightron SII 6-24 dot recticle on a 20 MOA base.

The load is a Berger 168 grain VLD as best, Sierra's come close but not quite as good.

Last edited by Armednfree; 04/08/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Does this phenomena have anything to do with what Litz wrote about Nosler's LRAB BC (and his BC bullets in general) being overstated if the bbl is "under-twisted" or the bullet is slightly under-stabilized?

I'm not familiar with Litz's position on BC as a function of gyroscopic stabilization, but I did go to the Berger page where Bryan's stability calculator is posted. http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

The SG that the calculator produces is the same number as the GS of 2.98 used in the example in my original post. GS must be at least 1, and factors just above 1 produce corkscrewing that does not diminish well. Bryan holds that the stability number must be above 1.5 for reliability, and Harold Vaughn gives quite a discussion on how marginally stabilized bullets might work fine at altitude, but fail at sea level.

As you point out, Bryan does use the stability factor to evaluate whether the bullet is truly living up to it's BC.

So I guess the answer to your question is that this is all connected. But I'll be darned if I can provide much useful information beyond just that.

Last edited by denton; 04/08/17.

Be not weary in well doing.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The way I look at it a bullet in flight that is not optimally stabilized due to twist rate is exposing a larger frontal area to the atmosphere, thus reducing its effective BC.

At altitude the air is thinner/less viscous so the 'effective larger frontal area' is not as pronounced as it would be at sea level.

Knowing the MV and 100 yard velocity one can extrapolate the effecivet BC for the conditions tested. The actual as opposed to calculated mv at the target would be nice to know but the LabRadar will give mv and 100 yard velocities.

An example is the Hornaday 6mm 105gr HPBT has an advertised G7 BC of 0.253. Under my test conditions it has a G7 of 0.233. 1:8 twist, mv 2850 ft/s, at 2880' elevation.

Accurate muzzle velocity and G7's begets an accurate external ballistic chart.

IC B2

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The way I look at it a bullet in flight that is not optimally stabilized due to twist rate is exposing a larger frontal area to the atmosphere, thus reducing its effective BC.

That sounds right.

And it sounds like the LabRadar is giving you some very useful information.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Very interesting denton. I've come across similar information years before in a book but, I've forgotten where.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by denton
A few days ago, I had cause to do some digging on this topic. It seems like something worthwhile reporting here. Enjoy:

My main source is Harold Vaughn's Rifle Accuracy Facts. Harold was in charge of handling the fluid dynamics computations for our country's ICBMs, and he held a doctorate in the field. He was also a hard-core experimentalist, dragging a big old Tektronix 555 oscilloscope (I had one of those once.) and gas generator into the field to make measurements. If you want to understand how his work is regarded, try buying a used copy somewhere.

Question 1: Does the nose of the bullet trace out a spiral as the bullet flies? Yes. Harold developed software that accurately models the situation. The software is capable of six degrees of freedom, i.e., it handles position in three dimensions and angles in three dimensions. Here is one of the graphs he produced.

[Linked Image]

Question 2. Does this cause the bullet to corkscrew around its trajectory? Yes. It must be so, because the bullet is "coning" and the drag vector always points from tip to center of base. When the bullet nose does not point exactly along the trajectory, the drag vector has a transverse component that moves the bullet sideways and up and down. Fluid dynamics substantially changes the situation, vs. ballistics in a vacuum.

From page 182:
The initial angle of attack of .2 degrees was chosen because it is probably typical of the maximum initial angle of attack that would be present in a good rifle with a chamber and throat on the center of the bore....Of course the bullet is flying along a cork screw trajectory around the average flight path. The effect of the cork screw motion on dispersion is considered later.

Question 3. Is this effect important to most of us? No. From page 192:
So what are the practical effects of GS [gyroscope stability] on accuracy? Well it is important to realize that the bullet is traveling in a corkscrew motion about the trajectory when it is coning...For a .2 degree angle of attack the radius of the corkscrew motion will be about .009 inches for a GS of 2.98. By the time the bullet reaches 200 yards the angular motion has damped so that the radius of the corkscrew motion is only .003 inches.

Bryan Litz's money (he issued a challenge for anyone to show a rifle more accurate at 200 yards than at 100) is probably safe unless someone with a lot of patience and a superbly accurate rail gun chooses to compete for it.

Been called a liar a few times, but no matter, don't have the upper anymore to prove it... AR15.. 7 twist Krieger. Keyholed slightly at 100 yards. Moved to 200 and 300 and the bullets no longer keyholed. This was playing with 90 JLKs YEARS ago... moved to a 6.5 twist and never saw that again.

Tended to be as accurate to a bit more accurate MOA wise at 200 and 300 than it was at 100.

Also have shot a given load at a 300 yard reduced match with 600 yard ammo and the accuracy at the 300 yard match left me unhappy. Again with 90 JLKs early on. Learned that it was just best to leave them for actual 600 and beyond matches...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Keyholing at 100yd, accurate at 200 and 300yd....? More accurate at 600 than 300?

Litz would love to talk to you...but of course, the upper isnt around anymore..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Keyholing at 100yd, accurate at 200 and 300yd....? More accurate at 600 than 300?

I think it's important to clarify whether we're talking about absolute accuracy, as in group size in inches, or relative accuracy, meaning measuring groups in angular terms like MOA. A 0.5" group at 100 yards is ~ 0.5 MOA. A 0.75" group at 200 yards, while larger than the 100 yard group, is only ~0.375 MOA. So it's relatively more accurate (MOA), but less accurate in regards to absolute group size (in inches).

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think the Gyroscopic Stability Factor is confusing to some.

The graph is a cross section showing the start and end point.

At say, 100 yards area of the graph is 'x' this gyroscopic instability may not get worse as the bullet continues down range.

So, if at 100 yards a 1" group is produced this doe not mean that at 300 yards a 3" group will be produced.....but it will not be less than 1" at distance.

The group size in inches will not get smaller at distance but expressed in MOA it can, so one moa/100yds may be 0.8 moa at 200 yards.

From my notes, a 155 gr target bullet in a sporter rifle will put 3 into one inch at 100 yards, at 1000 yards it will put 3 in less than 10", actually 7.625"or ~0.7xx moa.

Accuracy did not improve ...it just didn't get any worse as the gyroscopic stability did not degrade in a linear fashion.

Last edited by Axtell; 04/11/17.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Maybe it causes the misses I sometimes have??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting stuff. Perhaps the corkscrew effect has something to do with your assault bullets? wink .... http://order.politifake.org/image/p...iberalism-mental-politics-1471665449.jpg

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to see a quantification of the relationship of the maximum deflection and GS.

If the 0.009" deflection occurs at GS 2.98, what is the maximum deflection at a GS of 2 or 1.5 or 1.2....?

Unfortunately, I have neither the understanding nor the tools to accomplish the analysis....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I think it's important to clarify whether we're talking about absolute accuracy, as in group size in inches, or relative accuracy, meaning measuring groups in angular terms like MOA. A 0.5" group at 100 yards is ~ 0.5 MOA. A 0.75" group at 200 yards, while larger than the 100 yard group, is only ~0.375 MOA. So it's relatively more accurate (MOA), but less accurate in regards to absolute group size (in inches).

Accuracy is a matter of placement relative to POA.

Precision is the term used in reference degree of dispersion. Dispersion is just that, whether it be measured inches/mm/angstroms or MOA.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd love to see a quantification of the relationship of the maximum deflection and GS.

In Vaughn's book, he showed the pitch and yaw for a less well stabilized bullet, and the initial amplitude was about the same as for the well stabilized bullet. The difference is that the pitch and yaw did not die out much over the trajectory. Since the corkscrew effect follows from the pitch and yaw, I suppose that the big difference would be that in the less well stabilized case the radius stays about the same for a longer time.

That's about as much calculation as I'm good for these days... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Accuracy is a matter of placement relative to POA.

Precision is the term used in reference degree of dispersion. Dispersion is just that, whether it be measured inches/mm/angstroms or MOA.

I'm aware of that, and have been a bit bothered by the industry standard terminology myself, at times, but that's simply the way it's spoken of across gun culture. Manufacturers don't make a precision guarantee, they make an accuracy guarantee (guarantee that your scope will be accurately zero'd?? wink ). I was more referring to the fact that Bryan Litz and others are talking about a rifle shooting better at longer distances than shorter ones. Are they talking about absolute accuracy or relative accuracy? I've never seen a rifle that shot smaller linear groups at distance, but I have seen and owned rifles that shot smaller angular groups as the distance increased.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Being old school I'm not surprised that this would be new knowledge to those purporting to be rifle shooters!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Manufacturers don't make a precision guarantee

Could the scarring on the bullet from the lands and grooves affect bullet flight?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I'm aware of that, and have been a bit bothered by the industry standard terminology myself, at times, but that's simply the way it's spoken of across gun culture. Manufacturers don't make a precision guarantee, they make an accuracy guarantee (guarantee that your scope will be accurately zero'd?? wink ). I was more referring to the fact that Bryan Litz and others are talking about a rifle shooting better at longer distances than shorter ones. Are they talking about absolute accuracy or relative accuracy? I've never seen a rifle that shot smaller linear groups at distance, but I have seen and owned rifles that shot smaller angular groups as the distance increased.

Bryan's contention is that a rifle that shoots a 3/4 MOA group (for example) at 100 yards will not have that same group measure smaller than 3/4 MOA at 200 yards and beyond. IIRC he tested 74~78 different load/bullet/caliber combinations and found one test (.223) that was questionable.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.