G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by gunner500
WOW!!!!! this DW Razorback is a fine shooting weapon, 8.4 grs Longshot sent the 200 gr Noslers to 10 shot av of 1244 fps in Starline cases with WLP primers, NO smileys even at the shot string high of 1269 fps, load shoots to the sights perfect, dead on poa at 20 yards.

COL at 1.260" functioned perfect in the mags, what a fun 50 shot warmup string it was! I slammed one of the rounds into a 5 gal bucket of water length ways at 15', I got wet but the jacket held to the core, would probably make a fine hog/deer bullet, have most of the last 250 round box of these 200 gr Noslers left, will compare the 200 gr XTP's later when these are gone.

Gunner, the go to Powder for max 10 mm loads is AA-9. Max loads with it are also the most accurate with all the different bullets I load for all of my 10mm's. Congrats on your new pistole!

Longshot is right up there with AA9 for top 10mm loads. AA9 uses more powder, so I think it's more effective for guns with a brake, but otherwise it's user preference.

Interesting thing about AA#9 using more powder, I did measure my 8.4 gr load of Longshot and noticed with the long 200 gr Noslers seated to 1.260" provides plenty good enough powder compression to prevent any bullet set back in the case, something I do for ALL SD rounds, whether semi auto handgun or rifle.

Trump Won!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The S&W 610 revolver uses "moon clips" so head space chamber length is not an issue. It will chamber the 10MM Auto without them but the extractor will not eject the spent cases. You have to poke them out one by one.. COL is limited by the length of the cylinder instead of the chamber and magazine. Velocity?? Barrel gap/forcing cone vice a closed chamber? I would guess the 6.5" barrel would compensate. I don't know of any semi auto that can shoot both 10MM and 40 S&W without a barrel change of some sort. The N frame is meant for 44 Magnum so it will take the punishment. 610's are getting to stupid prices now, but one can rebore the cylinder out longer to shot 10MM Magnum, 10mm Auto, 40 S&W.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds complicated with the revolver bit, been wondering where my 40's would head space in the 10 chamber after reading Sarges suggestion.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No different than the many 9mm and 45ACP revolvers. The Moon Clips provide the "Rim" to headspace on, and something for the extractor to grab.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The semi's headspace is set by the chamber. As 10MM Auto is a longer case than a 40 S&W the front rim will not headspace. The round will go forward and not be hit by the firing pin. Sometimes the chamber is tight enough to "hold" the round enough for the primer to be hit without the case moving. The extractor is some semi automatics also might do this. It would not be something I would want bet my life on however.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

They're cool, but about a million dollars. lol

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The semi's headspace is set by the chamber. As 10MM Auto is a longer case than a 40 S&W the front rim will not headspace. The round will go forward and not be hit by the firing pin. Sometimes the chamber is tight enough to "hold" the round enough for the primer to be hit without the case moving. The extractor is some semi automatics also might do this. It would not be something I would want bet my life on however.

Yes, i most certainly would not run any 40 S&W ammo in a 10mm gun for SD purposes, my old P226 in 40 has been very good to me.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

They're cool, but about a million dollars. lol

laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
10-4 Sarge, I have plenty of 40 loaded up, may give it a whirl and see

Damn CHLI, that's smoking, I wanted to safely approach max loads with this new 10mm, went to Midway and checked out the velocities on their full power 10mm ammunition for sale, guess I'm inline with Underwoods stated velocities, although I have heard their ammo can run a little faster than they say it should run.

At 1244 fps with Longshot I have no firing pin swipes on the primers, no smileys and brass lands in a nice pile about 8' right and a bit back, and for me not being a pistola hand, nice ragged 2" holes at 20 yards is a keeper for me, I can't shoot any better than that, BTW, not one single flyer in todays two mag [16 rounds] 20 yard braced target shoot, I'm sure liking this pistol, I have some 10 round Tripp mags on the way. smile

Sounds like you got a really good one and a keeper!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
gunner, these may come in handy with stout loads.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-Buffers-1911-Package-of-6/productinfo/2B/

You can pick them on amazon or ebay for same price or less, and with free shipping.

Thanks LD, do these buffers inhibit reliability any at all? I'll use this 10mm for a carry gun at times.

gunner, for what it's worth, "experts" say don't use them in your carry pieces if you've not checked the buffers and allowed them to become worn, compressed, or frayed.

I use them because I will sometimes test the boundary of max loads, on my 1911's or any other gun. Because I don't typically carry a 1911, that is a non-issue for me here.

The main reason I use the and at least one other brand is solely to protect the hardware.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Interesting thing about AA#9 using more powder, I did measure my 8.4 gr load of Longshot and noticed with the long 200 gr Noslers seated to 1.260" provides plenty good enough powder compression to prevent any bullet set back in the case, something I do for ALL SD rounds, whether semi auto handgun or rifle.

Point of clarification - AA9 doesn't necessarily use more powder by volume, but it is very dense, and uses more powder by weight. In the 180-220gr range, it's just about the perfect burn rate vs volume for 10mm, as it'll reach max pressure with a full charge but is hard to get enough powder in the case to go too far over pressure. Granted there's always "that guy", but if you aren't compressing it like crazy, that's how it's always worked out for me.

Less powder weight with Longshot for the same loads is a good thing though, both for economy and a little less recoil since the powder mass contributes more to recoil than the bullet mass.

Looking back at my load data, I'm using 13.4gr of AA9 for a very similar load to your 8.4gr of Longshot. My load might be a tad hotter but probably not by much, but it definitely puts out more blast and a little more recoil without a brake. I use a brake on that 6.5" barrel, so AA9 makes sense there; I think the Longshot load is better in my non-braked barrel.

Just for fun, here are expansion test (wet newsprint) results with the 200gr Mihec bullet and shallow hollow point with the above AA9 load. The two larger mushrooms in the middle are the 6.5" longslide, and the one less mushroomed on the left is the stock G20 barrel. Penetration from both was very impressive; the faster load just made a bigger hole.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 05/06/17.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Sounds complicated with the revolver bit, been wondering where my 40's would head space in the 10 chamber after reading Sarges suggestion.

Don't do that with your 1911! It is OK in Glocks but is not safe in most other pistol platforms, including the 1911. The difference is in the firing pin/striker, and how far it can extend out of the breech face.
In a 1911, if a 40 S&W round jumps ahead of the striker in a 10mm chamber, the firing pin can still reach the primer. On ignition, that case gets slammed back past the extractor and into the breech face, and the primer may or may not get there first. I haven't seen a case actually blow out from this, but have seen them look pretty bad. The one pictured below is a good example. If you want to shoot 40 S&W for practice in that nice new 1911, you'll need a dedicated 40 S&W barrel to be safe.

In a Glock on the other hand, if a round jumps in front of the extractor (which I've never seen happen in my 10mm Glock BTW), the striker can't reach the primer, so the round just doesn't go off. There's no danger in blowing up the gun there, just a click. Some prefer to swap in a 40 S&W barrel anyway to be safe, but you don't have to in a Glock.

Note the missing chunk of the rim that was sheared off when getting pushed backwards into the extractor...
[Linked Image]

This shows maximum firing pin protrusion on a 1911 vs Glock. Note position of the pin tip relative to where a case would rest in front of the extractor.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 05/06/17.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Great info, thanks for your time and effort.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just to clarify... though plenty of people seem to be getting away with it, I don't recommend shooting 40 in your 10mm Glock w/o a .40 caliber conversion barrel installed,

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/07/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yondering are you happy with the Para 40 ? The remington 10 mm is a Para correct?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The perfect 10mm is the 41 Magnum.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Yondering are you happy with the Para 40 ? The remington 10 mm is a Para correct?

I really liked it, but the durability with the cast slide just wasn't there. It eventually cracked at the ejection port, I don't know how many rounds because I wasn't the original owner. Para replaced it (very nice of them I thought!) and I sold the gun with the new top end. It was a nice pistol though, and I'd be happy to have another. Mine was the Limited version; sweet trigger and very accurate.

I'm not sure about the Remington.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Yondering, Yes, 5" barrel, 1325 with 200's is smoking, sounds like a very serious load with the 6.5" barrel, I thought about some 200/220 hardcasts for later on.

The forum won't let me edit my post above, but I shot some of those loads over the chrono again this weekend and realized I misremembered; they actually do an honest 1350 fps avg from the 6.5" longslide. Velocity from the standard barrel length is very similar to your load though.

If you're going with hard cast, I really recommend sticking with 200gr, the heavier 220 gr bullets just take up too much capacity in the 10mm and restrict it down to little more than a small bore +P .45 Auto. You'll get all the penetration you might want from a 200 anyway, and the extra velocity is a good thing. That 200gr Mihec mold I pictured above is about the best design you can get, if you can find one; you get the option of a solid WFN, or shallow or deep hollow points, to tailor the bullet for your needs.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/08/17.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
10-4 Sarge, I have plenty of 40 loaded up, may give it a whirl and see

Damn CHLI, that's smoking, I wanted to safely approach max loads with this new 10mm, went to Midway and checked out the velocities on their full power 10mm ammunition for sale, guess I'm inline with Underwoods stated velocities, although I have heard their ammo can run a little faster than they say it should run.

At 1244 fps with Longshot I have no firing pin swipes on the primers, no smileys and brass lands in a nice pile about 8' right and a bit back, and for me not being a pistola hand, nice ragged 2" holes at 20 yards is a keeper for me, I can't shoot any better than that, BTW, not one single flyer in todays two mag [16 rounds] 20 yard braced target shoot, I'm sure liking this pistol, I have some 10 round Tripp mags on the way. smile

Sounds like you got a really good one and a keeper!

Many Thanks CHLI, very happy to report the new 10 shot Tripp mags run flawless, feed like they should and all 5 lock the slide open when empty. cool

11 rounds of 10mm with 200's at 1244 is kinda confidence inspiring, particularly with two spare 10 rounders in a back pocket.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, no buffers LD, I believe I'm at a safe operating area and shouldn't batter the DW at these levels, will replace springs after a thousand rounds or so.

Trump Won!
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 48 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.