Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300 WBY beats both of them, especially for elk

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
300 WBY beats both of them, especially for elk

And the .300 RUM beats that. When is enough enough?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike

460 WBY Mag whistle
laugh laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You provided an untested, theoretical load. Provide a real one.

It was a mistake to waste any time on a clown like you. And a mistake I won't make again. Now I just laugh at your stupid antics.

You're not very good at name calling, let alone providing real data to support your position. When it comes to that all we hear is.... crickets.

The fact is there is no replacement for displacement and the .30-06 wins with a 19% greater case capacity. Even though the .308 Win has a higher SAAMI MAP, MAP is not the only determinant of bullet velocity. The fact is the 308's smaller powder charges cannot produce the volume of gas that the .30-06's larger powder charges do. The ,30-06's higher gas volume allows bullets to be propelled at a more level pressure. Even with a lower MAP, this advantage looms larger with heavier bullets. but shows up at other weights as well. Case in point, the .30-06 can propel a 110g bullet 200fps faster than a .308 Win using pressures 2,000PSI lower. (Hodgdon data).

Nosler lists a 220g .30-06 load at 2602fps. Where is your real world .308 Win equivalent? Are you going to provide one and prove your point or resort to more childish name calling?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Maybe knowledgeable and experienced guys who squabble over mostly inconsequential stuff, and call one another names - are becoming obsolete.

Are you kidding? The entertainment value alone......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You really have literally no clue what the cartridges are capable of, do you coyote? Like none at all. It's amazing that someone who knows so little would be so eager to expose themselves repeatedly.

That load doesn't beat the.308 at all.

Attached Images
coyote_is_wrong_2.gif (58.44 KB, 45 downloads)
Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/21/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You really have literally no clue what the cartridges are capable of, do you coyote? Like none at all. It's amazing that someone who knows so little would be so eager to expose themselves repeatedly.

That load doesn't beat the.308 at all.

More theoretical data. (yawn)

Please provide tested data. I've provided multiple REAL loads for the .30-06, you haven't produced a single one for the .308 Win that can match them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has been an entertaining thread.

Bob, just a question.

The advantage of short action vs long action is subjective and reasonable minds can differ.

The real world "advantage" of an extra 100ish fps or so, with similar Bullets , is also subjective.

But are you really contending that an extra 15-20% case capacity doesn't give a cartridge more ballistic potential?

PS. IMO, . Dispensing with the name calling would enhance your credibility.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by moosemike

460 WBY Mag whistle
laugh laugh laugh

Jerry

[Linked Image]

It is a darn good varmint rifle. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by southtexas

Bob, just a question.

The advantage of short action vs long action is subjective and reasonable minds can differ.

The real world "advantage" of an extra 100ish fps or so, with similar Bullets , is also subjective.

But are you really contending that an extra 15-20% case capacity doesn't give a cartridge more ballistic potential?

Case capacity increases the attainable energy/velocity, no question. It's not linear - if you increase your case capacity by 10%, you don't get a 10% increase in muzzle energy even though you can put in 10% more powder and thus 10% more chemical energy. You might get a 5% increase in muzzle energy depending on a variety of factors. In other words cases get less efficient as they get bigger, even as they become more powerful.

Now we come to the .30-06. It's inefficient shoulder, low MAP, and the extra barrel length consumed by the longer chamber (barrels are measured from the breach face, which makes sense from a weight perspective) all work against it relative to the .308. What you will find when you do the math is that most of what the .30-06 gains due to extra case capacity is lost back due to poor design. All that remains is a trivial difference that only manifests in a very short list of powders, none of which have been named by the .30-06 advocates, possibly because their load data is as out of date as their cartridge.

As far as coyote, his behavior in this thread is so poor that at this point anything other than calling him ignorant is a waste of time. If he want to come back, admit he knows next to nothing about interior ballistics, and is willing to learn we can try again. But as it stands I will say nothing respectful to him as respect is earned and he hasn't. I have no problem engaging with others on the topic, but ignorant boy has proven that dealing with him is a waste of time.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/21/17.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the .30 T/C is supposed to be a more efficient cartridge than either of them. But nobody cared.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

[Linked Image]

Now That's what I'm talkin about ! ! grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by southtexas

Bob, just a question.

Case capacity increases the attainable energy/velocity, no question. It's not linear - if you increase your case capacity by 10%, you don't get a 10% increase in muzzle energy even though you can put in 10% more powder and thus 10% more chemical energy. You might get a 5% increase in muzzle energy depending on a variety of factors. In other words cases get less efficient as they get bigger, even as they become more powerful.

Now we come to the .30-06. It's inefficient shoulder, low MAP, and the extra barrel length consumed by the longer chamber (barrels are measured from the breach face, which makes sense from a weight perspective) all work against it relative to the .308. What you will find when you do the math is that most of what the .30-06 gains due to extra case capacity is lost back due to poor design. All that remains is a trivial difference that only manifests in a very short list of powders, none of which have been named by the .30-06 advocates, possibly because their load data is as out of date as their cartridge.

As far as coyote, his behavior in this thread is so poor that at this point anything other than calling him ignorant is a waste of time. If he want to come back, admit he knows next to nothing about interior ballistics, and is willing to learn we can try again. But as it stands I will say nothing respectful to him as respect is earned and he hasn't. I have no problem engaging with others on the topic, but ignorant boy has proven that dealing with him is a waste of time.

Do you have a shooting background, or did you just read about this stuff?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
" Chemical energy"????????

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good Stuff

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
This thread has gone on for longer than I thought it ever would and taken a direction I didn't think of when originally posting it. No science or prejudice, but if I had to pick between a 30-06 or a 308 Win., the 30-06 would win every time. In fact, I just bought another 30-06! But it's what I grew up with, and I have tons of stuff for it. I'm still using Norma brass my dad got back in the 60's. My dad was a one rifle man, a commercial FN Mauser Musketeer in 30-06. From moose to elk to deer and everything else he ever went after. And everything with only one bullet, a 165 gr. Nosler Partition and he taught me the advantage, and benefit, of high percentage shots. Any way, all we have in any of this is each other, there's enough forces outside of us ready to do us in!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
" Chemical energy"????????

Yup - a term for the energy stored in the gunpowder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_energy

A more specific term is "heat of explosion" but it's more prone to misunderstanding as it's really an amount of energy, not a temperature

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Nope, just pellet guns for me.

Of course I shoot. What I'm describing here is really internal ballistics 101. The bare minimum stuff you'd need to understand to safely develop high performance loads for a new cartridge.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

[Linked Image]

Never seen that pic before, must be from this week?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Nope, just pellet guns for me.

Of course I shoot. What I'm describing here is really internal ballistics 101. The bare minimum stuff you'd need to understand to safely develop high performance loads for a new cartridge.

Just wondered.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (160user, 44mc, 3333vl, 2UP, 1eyedmule, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.