Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

[Linked Image]

It is a darn good varmint rifle. wink

Never seen that pic before, must be from this week?

It's from a month or so back.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"What you will find when you do the math is that most of what the .30-06 gains due to extra case capacity is lost back due to poor design"

Ok, I don't want to get dragged into this, but how is the 06 "poorly designed " relative to the 308?

The only apparent difference is a 17.5 degree shoulder vs a 20 degree? Or I guess being longer is a design flaw, too?

MAP...judicious handloaders have been working with this "poor design " for a long time, just as they have with their modern bolt actions in 7x57 and 257R.

My observation: you throw out a lot of technical jargon, which sounds impressive. But you jump to conclusions based on qualitative concepts, not quantitative data.

Have a good day. I'm perfect happy to agree to disagree.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by southtexas

My observation: you throw out a lot of technical jargon, which sounds impressive. But you jump to conclusions based on qualitative concepts, not quantitative data.

He reminds me of that dude that showed up saying "I came here to educate, not listen" He even told Mule Deer that crap.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Crypes, anybody who knows anything about hunting rifles/cartridges knows the .30-06 is FAR from obsolete. Quite likely It'll still be one of the top 5 big game cartridges long after all of us here are dead and gone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Case capacity increases the attainable energy/velocity, no question. It's not linear - if you increase your case capacity by 10%, you don't get a 10% increase in muzzle energy even though you can put in 10% more powder and thus 10% more chemical energy. You might get a 5% increase in muzzle energy depending on a variety of factors. In other words cases get less efficient as they get bigger, even as they become more powerful.

Now we come to the .30-06. It's inefficient shoulder, low MAP, and the extra barrel length consumed by the longer chamber (barrels are measured from the breach face, which makes sense from a weight perspective) all work against it relative to the .308. What you will find when you do the math is that most of what the .30-06 gains due to extra case capacity is lost back due to poor design. All that remains is a trivial difference that only manifests in a very short list of powders, none of which have been named by the .30-06 advocates, possibly because their load data is as out of date as their cartridge.

As far as coyote, his behavior in this thread is so poor that at this point anything other than calling him ignorant is a waste of time. If he want to come back, admit he knows next to nothing about interior ballistics, and is willing to learn we can try again. But as it stands I will say nothing respectful to him as respect is earned and he hasn't. I have no problem engaging with others on the topic, but ignorant boy has proven that dealing with him is a waste of time.

Blah, blah, blah. Lots of words but no real, tested loads to back up your position. Why not? (Rhetorical question as the answer is obvious - you can't find any.)

i've been using a figure of 19% greater case capacity for the .30-06. If you accept 69 grains for the 30-06 and 56 grains for the .38 Win, the difference is really 23%. Use heavier bullets that seat deeper in the case, reducing interior space, and the % useful case capacity of the .30-06 increases when compared to the .308 Win.

Vis a vis the .308 Win, the .30-06 is limited in performance more by the SAAMI MAP than the cartridge design. The .308 Win starts out with a 2000PSI pressure advantage. Even so, the .30-06 can beat the .308 across the board using pressure tested data. I've shown tested loads from 110g to 220g that the .308 cant match and you've shown nothing but theoretical loads. People don't shoot theoretical loads.

The .308 Win is an excellent cartridge, which is why I've owned four and still own two. There are currently four .30-06 rifles in my safe. If I could only have one or the other, the .30-06 would win hands down.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
"What you will find when you do the math is that most of what the .30-06 gains due to extra case capacity is lost back due to poor design"

Ok, I don't want to get dragged into this, but how is the 06 "poorly designed " relative to the 308?

The only apparent difference is a 17.5 degree shoulder vs a 20 degree? Or I guess being longer is a design flaw, too?

MAP...judicious handloaders have been working with this "poor design " for a long time, just as they have with their modern bolt actions in 7x57 and 257R.

It's not just the shoulder angle, it's also the shoulder diameter. The .308 has the same diameter as a .30-06 AI, not a .30-06. The wider, steeper shoulder reduces powder movement down the barrel, which increases efficiency.

You know, I was nice enough to actually run ballistic simulations demonstrating the concepts I was describing so that people would have hard numbers in terms of velocity and pressure. That's about as quantitative as it gets. But I understand. Y'all want to have a circle jerk over the .30-06. Facts just get in the way of that sort of thing. Carry on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simulations don't give reliable chronograph readings nor do they kill anything, except perhaps some of your time

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mudhen
Simulations don't give reliable chronograph readings nor do they kill anything, except perhaps some of your time

Right on mudhen. Problem is, I tried explaining that to our expert and it either went over his head or he completely ignored that FACT.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If y'all want to believe that there's something wrong with the simulation, that's fine. But the reality is that it's right and you're wrong and you all know it. The RL 17/26/33 high energy double base powders are some of the most studied powders out there because they give the top velocities in most bottleneck cartridges. And you'd be hard pressed to find a cartridge that's seen more quick load runs than .308. Quick Load is not wrong. If it was, hundreds if not thousands of people would have noticed and it would have gotten fixed.

Keep that circle jerk going!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Y'all want to have a circle jerk over the .30-06. Facts just get in the way of that sort of thing. Carry on."

A great segue, inspiring objective, adult dialog. Guess you just can't help yourself. frown

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hey, if a bunch of people want to get misty eyed about the .30-06 because it was what great grandpappy was holding when the Germans shot him, who am I to stop them? By all means, go on.

But if you actually care about the ballistics of the cartridges, then that's a different matter.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/21/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If y'all want to believe that there's something wrong with the simulation, that's fine.

It means about as much as the mythical Rocky Marciano vs Ali computer simulated fight years ago. It proves nothing.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yeah, OK. The whole science of ballistics is wrong, and you've got it figured out. Sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's not just the shoulder angle, it's also the shoulder diameter. The .308 has the same diameter as a .30-06 AI, not a .30-06. The wider, steeper shoulder reduces powder movement down the barrel, which increases efficiency.

You know, I was nice enough to actually run ballistic simulations demonstrating the concepts I was describing so that people would have hard numbers in terms of velocity and pressure. That's about as quantitative as it gets. But I understand. Y'all want to have a circle jerk over the .30-06. Facts just get in the way of that sort of thing. Carry on.

My .30 caliber rifles are more hunting rifles than target rifles. I suspect that is true for the vast majority of .30 bolt rifles. The only “efficiency” I care about is muzzle velocity for a particular load.

I’ve already shown loads from 110g to 220g where the .30-06 spanks the .308 Win hard with REAL, TESTED data and/or factory loads with fps/fpe range advantages from 100 to 300 yards depending on the load.

All your blah, blah, blah nonsense is just that – you’ve provided theoretical loads but none that are REAL or TESTED and even the text of the theoretical loads you provided warns the loads may exceed SAMMI standards.

Instead of blathering on, childish name calling and denigrating others, man up and discuss this like an adult - provide some REAL, TESTED load data.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/21/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nah, I'll just call you what you are: an utter fool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, OK. The whole science of ballistics is wrong, and you've got it figured out. Sure.

Ballistic science? Your quick load simulation model is nothing more than a hypothesis, until it is proven by empirical data.

Are we to believe that the 358 Win is the equivalent or superior to the 35 Whelen.

and the 7-08 is superior to the 280

and the 260 Rem is superior to the 6.5/06.

and the 25 Souper and 257 Roberts are superior to the 25/06?

Look, no one is saying that the 308 is not a good cartridge. And no one is saying that there is a huge practice difference in the field between it and the 06. What's your beef?

Last edited by southtexas; 06/21/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Is that what passes for rational discussion in your world? No facts, just name calling?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Is that what passes for rational discussion in your world? No facts, just name calling?

A page right out of the democratic playbook.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Ballistic science? Your quick load simulation model is nothing more than a hypothesis, until it is proven by empirical data.

You do realize that Quick Load produces all the loads used for all sorts of competitive shooting, much of it with the .308, right? The powders that came out on top (Rl-17 and RL-26) are heavily used precisely because they are the fastest powders in a wide range of cartridges. RL-17 + heavy bullets in .308 is arguably one of the MOST tested load types out there.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You got plenty of facts, and chose to ignore them so you could have your .30-06 circle jerk. So now you just get contempt.

Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.