Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 37 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 36 37
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
BS. Ezekiel was written 701-680 BC. King Neb was a hundred years later. Ezekiel did not say King Neb would destroy Tyre.

Ezekiel 26:3-5, “Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, OTyrus, and will cause many nations to come up against thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up.  And they shall destroy the walls of , and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock. It shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD: and it shall become a spoil to the 

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by TF49

Note that the verses are very clear about what NEB would do and what God or "I" will do.
AS has either never read the verse or is just simply parroting something from some website of dubious standing.

You are misinterpreting the text. There are TWO actors moving against Tyre. One is Nebuchadnezzar. The other is God. Neb took his action and then God took his.

well reading what Neb did at Gods will, it sounds very much like Neb levelled the city, so much so, that it will be like the 'top of a rock'.(via Nebs actions)
EZEKIEL 26: (AKJV)

7" For thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots,
and with horsemen, and companies, and much people.
8 He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field: and he shall make a fort against thee, and cast a mount against thee, and lift up the buckler against thee.
9 And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers.
10 By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots,
when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach.
11 With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground.
12 And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise:and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses:
and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water.

13 And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard.
14 And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the Lord have spoken it, saith the Lord God.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

If you get cornered, you will do the same the same thing, You will present YOUR OWN view of what the scriptures say
and then judge all arguments to the contrary to be false.

christians contradict scripture much more often than they will admit, or even aware of.

When TF49 stated that his faith in Jesus is motivated and based on Jesus being a means of escaping Gods judgement,
It left me really wondering of his understanding of Christianity, since scripture clearly indicates Jesus himself will be
judging each and every man.

TF49 it would appear , was fundamentally wrong when he indicated God will judge the world with Jesus as the path of escape from Judgement.

What about God’s “justice.” Will He not judge sin and will there not be a finalaccounting? ....
.... God made a way, Jesus’ death and God’s grace so we could escape the judgment.

JOHN 5:22 AKJV

" For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son":

JOHN 5:27 AKJV

" and hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man."

JOHN 9:39 AKJV

"And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind."

ROMANS 2:16 AKJV

" in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."

2 Corinthians 5:10 AKJV

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body,
according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad."

MATTHEW 25: AKJV

"31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 and before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Starman,

Nice job.

Here's one more item to highlight:

thou shalt be built no more:

Even if someone accepts the "Many Nations", were any of the current or future nation who could possibly invade Babylon over the next million years, the alleged prophecy fail on that last part since the area's been rebuilt since the Alexander.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

AS.......

Ah, back to the real estate issue. Refuge of last resort for the naysayers.

So, again, was the prophecy against Tyre, the city state or against the real estate. Note this lifted comment:

"Non-believers often interpret this prophecy found in Ezekiel 26:1-21 as meaning that Nebuchadnezzar was supposed to be the one who destroyed Tyre. Believers, however, including myself, often interpret this prophecy as meaning that "many nations" were supposed to destroy the Phoenician city of Tyre, over a long period of time, beginning with Nebuchadnezzar. We base our interpretation on verse 3, which states that "many nations" would attack Tyre, like waves casting against the shore. And history shows that many nations did attack Tyre. Alexander the Great used ships from many nations to conquer the island city in about 332 BC, bringing a permanent end to the Phoenician Empire."

Note, bringing a permanent end to the "Phoenician Empire."

I note you are no longer arguing about the Neb prophecy and you are no longer arguing about Alexander's destruction of Tyre and his destruction of the nation of Tyre. You have retreated and take some dim consolation that since the are places where "fishermen spread their nets" and there are now Syrians (?) living there that the prophecy fails.

Eisegesis to the max.

Tell me, in your mind, do you think Ezekiel was prophesying against the real estate or the Phoenician Empire?

Last edited by TF49; 04/22/17.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Wow, "weasel words" abound in your response. You judge the prophecy to be false because it is not written clear enough for YOU to understand it.

You place your own conditions on the prophecy. Since the verses do not meet YOUR view of what a prophecy should be, you deny it.

The facts remain. Ezekiel made a prophecy regarding the destruction of Tyre. It was destroyed. You do not find it within yourself to accept that so out comes the weasel words and the waffling.

Ezekial did not say it would be destroyed by Alexander 240 years later. He said it would be destroyed by Neberkenezer. The writing is very clear. Yes the alleged prophecy makes a single reference to "many nations" what we would today call a coalition force, it follows with:

"I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north,"

And specific actions are attributed to Nebuchadnezzar. Among those are:

26:9 And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers.

Nope, the walls stood.

26:10 when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach.

No, didn't happen.

26:11 With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground.

No didn't happen.

26:12 And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water

No, after 13 years he gave up and negotiated a peace.

The result was to be:

26:14 And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it,

Tyre's complete build up today.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

AS.......

Ah, back to the real estate issue. Refuge of last resort for the naysayers.

So, again, was the prophecy against Tyre, the city state or against the real estate. Note this lifted comment:

"Non-believers often interpret this prophecy found in Ezekiel 26:1-21 as meaning that Nebuchadnezzar was supposed to be the one who destroyed Tyre. Believers, however, including myself, often interpret this prophecy as meaning that "many nations" were supposed to destroy the Phoenician city of Tyre, over a long period of time, beginning with Nebuchadnezzar. We base our interpretation on verse 3, which states that "many nations" would attack Tyre, like waves casting against the shore. And history shows that many nations did attack Tyre. Alexander the Great used ships from many nations to conquer the island city in about 332 BC, bringing a permanent end to the Phoenician Empire."

Note, bringing a permanent end to the "Phoenician Empire."

I note you are no longer arguing about the Neb prophecy and you are no longer arguing about Alexander's destruction of Tyre and his destruction of the nation of Tyre. You have retreated and take some dim consolation that since the are places where "fishermen spread their nets" and there are now Syrians (?) living there that the prophecy fails.

Eisegesis to the max.

Tell me, in your mind, do you think Ezekiel was prophesying against the real estate or the Phoenician Empire?

And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You are always more comfortable arguing about vents which might, or might not, have occurred thousands of years ago than to HONESTLY discuss the Spiritual Realm which surrounds you right now.

You have no explanation worthy of the name for what learned men for centuries have called Natural Law.

You can't explain how peoples geographically separated and living in entirely different cultures existing thousands of years apart come to pretty much the same conclusions regarding right and wrong.

You deny that human beings are born with a religious instinct.

In fact, these things you deny are responsible for the only good parts of YOU.

By assigning these things I mention to causes other than Spiritual, you are committing the blasphemy Jesus warned about.

I should care...... but I don't.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AS,

So was this event the end of the Phoenician Empire or not?

You still don't want to understand. You choose to remain in your shell.

If you care to, look at history and see a distinction between the island of Tyre where the governing capital was and the mainlands.

Did Neb come against the mainlands and ALexander against the island city.

So, again, was the prophecy against the Phoenician Empire or the real estate?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
zounds to me like a bunch of space aliens traveled & networked over the earth, teaching and leading the inhabitants toward a civilized understanding? pyramids everywhere, statues that look "foreign?", superhuman building projects. things flying around...what was going on? were those ancient writers having a hallucination, or were they reporting what they were seeing, given their understanding as members of their culture?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You are always more comfortable arguing about vents which might, or might not, have occurred thousands of years ago than to HONESTLY discuss the Spiritual Realm which surrounds you right now.

You have no explanation worthy of the name for what learned men for centuries have called Natural Law.

You can't explain how peoples geographically separated and living in entirely different cultures existing thousands of years apart come to pretty much the same conclusions regarding right and wrong.

By assigning these things I mention to causes other than Spiritual, you are committing the blasphemy Jesus warned about.

Curdog,

Again you are wrong on both counts. We have scientific explanations for what you call "Natural Law'.

At the most basic level, it's because combat is expensive. Even if you win, you could still loose.

Imagine wolf number #1 takes out wolf number #2, but is so injured in the process he's eliminated by wolf #3.

As I've explained in other posts, that it appears you either skipped or ignored, cooperative groups are more efficient and can produce more per capita then lone individuals. As a result, groups that cooperate and work together and develop a system of allocating resources without killing each other are more successful then those who do not.

Groups who do not, win the coveted Group Darwin Award.

It exists because it works. No god required.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Good post. But he is a scoffer. I'd say you've done your best.
Now kick the dust off your sandals and leave him to his own devices.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Surely you know that when you rationalize God away, you've only removed Him from your mind, not from His Universe.

But......He won't even stay absent from your mind, will He?

The fact you post on these threads is proof of that.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
AS,

So was this event the end of the Phoenician Empire or not?

You still don't want to understand. You choose to remain in your shell.

If you care to, look at history and see a distinction between the island of Tyre where the governing capital was and the mainlands.

Did Neb come against the mainlands and ALexander against the island city.

So, again, was the prophecy against the Phoenician Empire or the real estate?

Alexander was never mentioned in your alleged prophecy, nor the Phonetician Empire, and Nebuchadrezzar failed.

Let me give you a modern equivalent of the game of bait-and-switch you are playing.

Imagine that in 1763 someone predicted that Catherine the Great would take Bagdad, salt the earth, and no one would ever live there again, then claimed their prediction came true when under George The Younger, 3rd ID Marched into Bagdad.

Would you really say that was a fulfilled prophecy?

Really?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Surely you know that when you rationalize God away, you've only removed Him from your mind, not from His Universe.

But......He won't even stay absent from your mind, will He?

The fact you post on these threads is proof of that.

Says he who admits he has not independently verifiable evidence for the existence of his alleged god.

Until you can present some real evidence, none of the rest of your assertions regarding your god hold any water.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
zounds to me like a bunch of space aliens traveled & networked over the earth, teaching and leading the inhabitants toward a civilized understanding? pyramids everywhere, statues that look "foreign?", superhuman building projects. things flying around...what was going on? were those ancient writers having a hallucination, or were they reporting what they were seeing, given their understanding as members of their culture?

Gus,

Do you really believe the Egyptians were incapable of building the Pyramids?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus

Not aliens, the Nephilim.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
OK then, thanks for clearing that minor detail up. it does go a long way in explaining a lot. civilizing an uninhabited earth can't be easy. first the dinosaurs have to be discussed, and then eliminated.

der cold=blooded reptilians had a role to play no doubt. but then their time come.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by efw
EFW,

What we call, or don't call, spiritual, or spirituality is all about the definition. Those are two of the most slippery words in the English language, which is why earlier I asked for a definition....

If your definition requires a supernatural element, then I see no evidence to support a belief in it. If not, then we have room for discussion.

How else would one define it, since the spirit is something unprovable and not observable by scientific means, and is the root word of the above concepts?

Again, not a rhetorical question. How do you define spirit without touching upon the supernatural?

Again, a very legitimate question.

As an example, some forms of Buddhism belief you can reach an "Enlightened State" without the involvement of any super natural elements. They can talk for hours about what they consider their non-religious, non-supernatural, yet transcendent (another slippery word) Spiritualism.

Shinto Spiritualism is grounded in paganism, the worship of natural elements we know to exist. Again there's much variation with it. Some believe their dead ancestors actually live in trees. Other focus more on the relationship between nature and humans. This is actually how Feng Shui started. It was a guide for farms regarding how to plant their crops. Now these principles of water and air flows, and utilization of space has been elevated to a "spiritual practice".

So to answer your question, there's a lot of other ways to look at the concept of Spirituality especially from the non-Christina parts of the world.

That's your long winded, egotistical way of saying you've no f'cking clue. Congrats.

This^^^. Lots of wind to confuse from the confused.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus,

they finally did find a way to do so. it took a spell though. it didn't happen overnite, for sure. uh, and noone from over there has any direct knowledge of how they actually did it. the descendents don't know. why is that?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus,

they finally did find a way to do so. it took a spell though. it didn't happen overnite, for sure. uh, and noone from over there has any direct knowledge of how they actually did it. the descendents don't know. why is that?

Gus,

It was completed around 2560 BCE. That about 4577 years ago, or 2000 generations ago.

What trade craft techniques were passed down to you from 4500 years ago? Can you weave grass moccasins?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus,

Gus,

It was completed around 2560 BCE. That about 4577 years ago, or 2000 generations ago.

What trade craft techniques were passed down to you from 4500 years ago? Can you weave grass moccasins?

why no, no i can't since you've asked. plenty of folks around the perimeter of modern culture can create useful bowls from long-leaf pine needles. not me, but they charge for such things as if they were unique, specialty products, and people buy them. good for everybody since the trees produce shed needles year after year.

honestly i don't even think we can replicate a cathedral built back in the middle ages. those skills seemed to have vanished? a modern day cathedral with a ton of details, what a concept. don't think many are coming up out of the ground these days. maybe all the sacred spots have already been taken? i don't know.

Page 17 of 37 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, AKislander, 8 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,584
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.