Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WASHINGTON — A federal air marshal on a flight earlier this month from England to New York left her loaded service weapon in the aircraft’s bathroom where a passenger found it, four marshals familiar with the incident said.

The passenger gave the weapon to a member of the flight crew, who returned it to the air marshal. But the marshal, who is based in the New York region, failed to report the incident to her superiors, as required by agency policy, until several days later. The incident happened on April 6, aboard a Delta flight from Manchester to Kennedy International Airport.

Despite the security lapse, the marshal was assigned to a flight a few days later, people familiar with the case said.

The Transportation Security Administration, the parent agency of the air marshal service, said that it was aware of the episode but that it would not comment publicly on internal matters, adding that it was “reviewing the circumstances of this incident.”

Current and former air marshals said that leaving a loaded weapon unattended constituted a significant security breach that should have resulted in discipline and an investigation.

“You can’t have inept people leaving weapons in a lavatory,” said Craig Sawyer, a former air marshal. “If someone with ill intent gets hold of that weapon on an aircraft, they are now armed.”

The air marshal who left the weapon unattended, according to people with knowledge of the situation, is a new hire. The T.S.A. declined to provide any additional information.

The disclosure comes after officials received intelligence showing that Islamic State militants are actively trying to target aircraft, including by hiding bombs in electronic devices. That revelation led officials in the United States and the United Kingdom to bar passengers from airports in 10 Muslim-majority countries from carrying laptop computers, iPads and other devices larger than a cellphone aboard direct inbound flights.

The episode is the latest in a string of embarrassments that have plagued the air marshal service in recent years, including allegations of sexism and racism and of employees arranging their schedules to meet up for sexual trysts.

In one of the most high-profile cases, the agency fired Robert MacLean, a federal air marshal, for disclosing to a reporter the agency’s plans to reduce the number of air marshals on flights. Mr. MacLean sued the agency, and the whistle-blowing case went all the way to the United States Supreme Court, which decided in his favor in 2015.

Current and former employees said the episode raised questions about how discipline is handled at the agency. The employees said some air marshals had been forced to resign or had been fired for minor transgressions.

“It's a toxic culture and a lack of accountability,” Mr. MacLean said.

Several thousand air marshals in plainclothes sit anonymously among passengers and provide the first line of defense against Sept. 11-style terrorist attacks or other threats against jetliners.

The service was started by President John F. Kennedy in 1961 to protect against hijackings.

This month’s incident could provide ammunition to congressional critics of the air marshal program, who say that it is wasteful and unnecessary. The program accounts for about 10 percent of the T.S.A.’s budget, costing nearly $1 billion per year. Critics say it is unclear that the program has actually deterred a terrorist attack.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
most LEO are NOT gun people... doesn't surprise me at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
"HER gun" is the clue here.

Isn't it great when women get extra points for applying for a givernment job?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She's not the first LEO to do that and won't be the last.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's the first half of the Daily Double.

Want to guess on color?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's pitiful .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm all for having guns on airplanes; even if they're in the bathroom.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Add to that the fact that she is a "new hire" and I'd say she needs "new work". It's not the apprentice that gets fried so often as the old electrician...I can't imagine how awesome her performance will be after a few years of complacency are added to her resume.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

My first thought. . . wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sitting down to pee has it's drawbacks

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
most LEO are NOT gun people... doesn't surprise me at all.

and Ive upset a few telling them that... grin

Romneys female SS agent left her gun in his jet.
2016 FBI agent left his loaded gun on the car roof and drove off.
A number of guns stolen or lost by LE have been used in murders.

read this!...
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investiga...olice-Agencies-Since-2010-350768311.html

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlaRick

Nor civilian CHL holder neither.

More'n the human lapse that troubles me is her failure to report it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The old Seattle police chief had a hell of a time remembering his handgun or losing it or getting it swiped from his unlocked car but he was more than happy to tell us lowly civilians that we need more gun control.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rong

I'll take your word for it. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Well some of us sit down to poop... Mine goes in my drawers immediately.... Can't hardly miss it if I forget it when pulling the drawers up....

i'm sure some smart ass is going to think thats gross too.... don't much care, my gun, my azz is clean and my drawers are too... thank you very much.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495

Well some of us sit down to poop... Mine goes in my drawers immediately.... Can't hardly miss it if I forget it when pulling the drawers up....

i'm sure some smart ass is going to think thats gross too.... don't much care, my gun, my azz is clean and my drawers are too... thank you very much.
This

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FlaRick

This! It took me a while to figure out how to go about using a public bathroom when I first started carrying but I have it down now. It never leaves my body.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Several years back a pilot left his Glock on the back of the toilet at SeaTac. It happens but if you carry daily you'll be quick to know something is missing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A big screw up for sure, I've done my share, and then some.
I'm glad it ended well enough. If not for second chances, many of us would be in a different spot than we are in.

I'll be happy to let someone else handle this one.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coulda been worse I guess, she coulda shot some unarmed citizen because they didn't do just exactly what they were ordered to do.
Then she'd get away with that, probably praised here, and not blasted by all the Mr. Perfects in the world.

Yeah, it was a dumbazzed move and she should be reprimanded for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.