Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CraigD
First we were supposed to feel "white guilt" now I am supposed to feel "Rolex guilt" for my Explorer II I got on the submarine tender in 1975...

I wouldn't feel any guilt wearing a Rolex. I'am partial to Omegas and my next fine time piece is going to be a Speedmaster.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought an Omega Seamaster back in 1998 and am in the process of upgrading to a "pepsi" Rolex GMT Master II. I don't believe it's for ego, status or to make up for dick length: it's the watch I've wanted since I was a kid and I've worked/saved to the point that I'm financially able to buy it without my kids going barefoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

1943 Rolex

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Pat85
First we were supposed to feel "white guilt" now I am supposed to feel "Rolex guilt" for my Explorer II I got on the submarine tender in 1975...

I wouldn't feel any guilt wearing a Rolex. I'am partial to Omegas and my next fine time piece is going to be a Speedmaster.

LOL, this is a funny thread, I've had similar inquiries about a building full of cars I may drive once a year, it's all good.

Have never understood the concern some have on what another man does with his OWN hard earned money. crazy

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gunner500

LOL, this is a funny thread, I've had similar inquiries about a building full of cars I may drive once a year, it's all good.

Have never understood the concern some have on what another man does with his OWN hard earned money. crazy

It's called envy.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Any criticism I've made of Rolex's isn't of the fact that some like them and choose to spend their money on them. It's more of the fact that they are overpriced for what they are. They are a good watch, not a great one. I've got two Tag's that are better watches than a Rolex.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And envy has to be the end result of laziness and complacency.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm too rough on equipment to wear a Rolex EE, farming and quarry/mine dust would surely chitcan any good watch in short order, I wear a 45 buck Timex from wally world. grin

It fails, I trash it and have Wifey pick me up another one.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm too rough on equipment to wear a Rolex EE, farming and quarry/mine dust would surely chitcan any good watch in short order, I wear a 45 buck Timex from wally world. grin

I farm also. I don't wear any watch whilst doing rough work. Too easy to get it caught in machinery. I don't want to get baled up or combined.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The problem with a Rolex is that about half the people you see will think it is fake and judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to care enough about that stuff to get a fake and being too cheap to get a real one, and the other half will assume it is real but judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to spend that much money on a watch.

I like Omegas. There is some brand recognition there, but mostly only from other watch guys and they on par in quality with a Rolex.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got enough safe queen rifles to buy two or three Rolex watches if I sold them. And I would expect most on this board are the same.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I farm also. I don't wear any watch whilst doing rough work. Too easy to get it caught in machinery. I don't want to get baled up or combined.

Good points, but I most always have a watch on and a damn pen in my shirt pocket ;]

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The problem with a Rolex is that about half the people you see will think it is fake and judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to care enough about that stuff to get a fake and being too cheap to get a real one, and the other half will assume it is real but judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to spend that much money on a watch.

I like Omegas. There is some brand recognition there, but mostly only from other watch guys and they on par in quality with a Rolex.
I just don't like the look of most Rolex's. The ones I do are priced out of my budget since they're "vintage" and command the top prices that they are actually worth. Some of the old Rolex chrono's from the 50's are beautiful. To each their own but to me, lots of the "new" Rolex's are gaudy. They need to come out with some retro stuff or a new look.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got enough safe queen rifles to buy two or three Rolex watches if I sold them. And I would expect most on this board are the same.
I've got several safe queen watches, though I did put some wear on my Omega over the last year.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Maybe those folks are just JERKS

Been wearing one for 30 years
Enjoyed it never thought anyone thought that if they did I dint care anyway

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I just don't like the look of most Rolex's. The ones I do are priced out of my budget since they're "vintage" and command the top prices that they are actually worth. Some of the old Rolex chrono's from the 50's are beautiful. To each their own but to me, lots of the "new" Rolex's are gaudy. They need to come out with some retro stuff or a new look.

Tudor is what you seek. Rolex seems to take pride in being stuffy and unresponsive to market forces. Their R&D department for new designs seems to be a 80 year old frog who thinks 24k gold is all any watch needs to be on the cutting edge.

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolexes for people under 60.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

For me the ideal is the Rolex Explorer...preferably in 36mm with sapphire crystal.
And should I ever be in a position to avail myself of same I fully intend to purchase and wear.

[Linked Image]

History of Rolex Explorer.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe bob, well stated!

Omega's tissot line is similiar

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Tudor is what you seek. Rolex seems to take pride in being stuffy and unresponsive to market forces. Their R&D department for new designs seems to be a 80 year old frog who thinks 24k gold is all any watch needs to be on the cutting edge.

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolex's for people under 60.
In short, no. I've never seen a Tudor that turned me on. To me, they are just a less expensive Rolex. I did look at their current website. A bunch of two-dial chrono's that look like cheapened up Rolex's.

[Linked Image]

The above is what I'm talking about. The Japanese decimated the used wristwatch market in the '90s.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by JSTUART

For me the ideal is the Rolex Explorer...preferably in 36mm with sapphire crystal.
And should I ever be in a position to avail myself of same I fully intend to purchase and wear.

[Linked Image]

History of Rolex Explorer.

Mine is the '72 version of that one. Little different numbers and hour marks. Been wearing it ever since.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,658
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.