Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
M
1) First decent shotgun - Ruger Red Label when they first came out - ordered from the factory with a request for nice wood. They put a REAL nice piece of wood on it. Heading down the road @ dark thirty to meet a buddy for fist day of pheasant season, thought about my new gun, realized I had left it on the roof of the truck. When I found it along side the road - stock destroyed beyond repair and barrels bent.
2) Had a tree stand for deer with a permanent rope for pulling gun and gear up. Dark thirty one morning was pulling my gear and hawken muzzle loader up, everything made it 30 feet + up, suddenly no weight. A mouse had chewed the rope most of the way through, broke the stock and had to send a 4x Leupold in for repairs.
Could recall a few more, but choose not to.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
30 years ago i bought a really nice stevens 311 jc higgins 20 sxs off a guy for 75 bucks. nice walnut stocks, case coloring, bluing, etc. looked almost new and it was 35 years old. for some stupid reason i decided to take the butt stock off. as i turned the stock bolt a huge crack popped out the side. the wood must have swelled around it or something. i was sick. i ended up sending it to bishop and they fitted a nice stock to it and i finished it nicely but it really didn't match the forearm. only problem was it cost $125. i still have that gun and over the past 30 years the wood has kind of darkened but is still obviously not original.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarcH
Heading down the road @ dark thirty to meet a buddy for fist day of pheasant season, thought about my new gun, realized I had left it on the roof of the truck. When I found it along side the road - stock destroyed beyond repair and barrels bent.

Thank you. That was more beneficial than a few Hail Marys on behalf of my various firearm screw-ups. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've blown up 2 revolvers from over powered loads. Both times the cylinder blew a couple chamber walls out.

I broke a Marlin 22 stock in half one time when my horse lost his footing in the middle of Chamberlain Basin, central Idaho in the middle of the night. The horse and I tumbled over each other for 10 or so yards downhill...I do suspect the stock saved my leg from getting broke though. That would have SUCKED anywhere, but would have been especially bad there...if you know where Chamberlain Basin is.

I've broke extractors and cracked a few other stocks while tumbling off of rocks, had wood pieces chip off, etc. but those are the only 3 I have actually broke.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've fixed guns. Never busted one. Must not be doing it right.... smile

Did knock the RU 77 .338 30 feet out of a tree stand once. Tore the Tasco World Class Plus right off. It was knocked out of zero, so I went home and swapped it for the RU .30-06 for the rest of the weekend.

On night during the week after work, I tweaked the mounts a bit, resighted the rifle, and by next weekend was good to go, Tasco and all. That was a good 20 years ago, and the outfit is still hanging in there.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunting elk in Sunlight Basin many years ago, I was walking down not to steep of a hill in about six inches of new snow. I didn't see the big flat top of a slick boulder. My feet went straight in the air, and so did my 721 Rem 30-06. I landed flat on my back and saw the 06 land right on a nice big fairly new Redfield scope. I saw the glass shards fly out of both ends of the scope. The rifle had some significant dings, but wasn't broke. The rear sight had been removed for the scope, so it was unaimable and it was a long walk back to my truck.

When I was within a quarter mile of the truck, I came across two very nice bull elk and I had no sights. I snuck on by and let them be. I had a Model 99 250-3000 Savage in my truck, I also had deer tags, but hadn't ever considered the 250 an elk gun, until that day. I got it out, snuck back where I had spotted the bulls, and dropped the best bull elk of my hunting career in his tracks with 100gr of .257 lead.

I'd still prefer to take an 06 or something bigger like that for elk or moose, but if you have good placement, and a good bullet, I guarantee a quarter bore will get the job done.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
About a nanosecond after this picture a gust of wind blew my perfect parker from its perch......onto the rocks below. I just completed a nice backcountry grouse hunt.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took my boss shooting one day. He had never fired a powerful revolver before. After taking a death grip on my .41 Ruger Blackhawk, he sent a round downrange and it appeared he had dropped the gun. Then he turned around with the grip frame still in hand. The grip frame had broken off. It came with aluminum, now it has a nice steel frame courtesy of Ruger.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kingston
I've got stories about being broke and guns, does that count?

LMAO!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had to borrow a duty weapon because mine was being worked on. It was a S&W 686 that had an exquisite trigger job done on it by one of the other deputies. His wife had just become a university PD officer and he wanted to give her the best revolver anyone on the force had. I had borrowed it once before, and it was the smoothest double action I have ever felt, period. The second time I borrowed it he had sold it another guy in the department, also a friend of mine. I was in a hurry to get to an off-duty job and when I got there I noticed my empty holster. I knew exactly what I had done; I left it on the roof of my patrol car...and forgot it. I ran code back to my residence, but someone already had picked it up. Luckily, all the law enforcement officers in our county and surrounding counties were on the lookout for my buddy's revolver. A city detective recovered it about 2 weeks later. It was scratched up pretty good on one side of the barrel and the cylinder. I took it to the gunsmith and when he was finished you couldn't tell anything had happened. My buddy swore it never shot right after that.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by high_country_
About a nanosecond after this picture a gust of wind blew my perfect parker from its perch......onto the rocks below. I just completed a nice backcountry grouse hunt.

[Linked Image]

Well at least you got a fine picture first.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I had to borrow a duty weapon because mine was being worked on. It was a S&W 686 that had an exquisite trigger job done on it by one of the other deputies. His wife had just become a university PD officer and he wanted to give her the best revolver anyone on the force had. I had borrowed it once before, and it was the smoothest double action I have ever felt, period. The second time I borrowed it he had sold it another guy in the department, also a friend of mine. I was in a hurry to get to an off-duty job and when I got there I noticed my empty holster. I knew exactly what I had done; I left it on the roof of my patrol car...and forgot it. I ran code back to my residence, but someone already had picked it up. Luckily, all the law enforcement officers in our county and surrounding counties were on the lookout for my buddy's revolver. A city detective recovered it about 2 weeks later. It was scratched up pretty good on one side of the barrel and the cylinder. I took it to the gunsmith and when he was finished you couldn't tell anything had happened. My buddy swore it never shot right after that.

First thing I thought of:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Air_Marshall_Leaves_Her_Loaded#UNREAD

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by high_country_

[Linked Image]

That sucks

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
A war story, about a damaged rifle.

My cousin was a draftee/grunt in Viet Nam. One day on patrol a firefight ensued. My cousin woke up in a hospital a few days later with no memory of what happened, and lots of bandages.

He was told that a rocket grenade had made a direct hit on his M-16 that he was holding in front of his chest. He had been med-evacced out by helicopter. He had no memory of the helo ride, or anything else.

As he was recuperating in the hospital, some rear-echelon clerk-type interviewed him in the hospital, and informed him that his war was over, he would get a Purple Heart, and that when he recovered some more he would be headed home.

Then the clerk inquired about some of his government gear, in particular, about what happened to his rifle, since it had not accompanied him on the helicopter.

My cousin had no information about his rifle other than what he had been told. Later, about the same time he was being awarded his Purple Heart he got an official letter telling him that he was being charged for the cost of the M-16 that he had "lost". Really?!

He gaffed them off and later they dropped the idea. My cousin came out of the war a physical and mental wreck. He had PTSD and became an alcoholic and a drug addict. He has been on partial or total disability for the rest of his life. Except for one messed up hand his body recovered fairly well, but mentally he never fully recovered.

He has been through many programs, claims sobriety, and then eventually falls off the wagon again.

I imagine the many pieces of his M-16 are still scattered in a jungle in Viet Nam.

Sad to hear. Essentially the same happened with my cousin except for the injury. He died an alcoholic 20 or so years ago.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
they're tools, if you use them they will get marred or broke at some point.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Dayom but this is a depressing thread.

Wrist cracked on my Midas class Browning American Mallard 1/500 shooting squirrels.

Sent it to Browning. Got it back and glanced at it and put it up. 8 mo later showed it to a friend. It had some deep gouges in the bottom tang and on one side through the gold inlays.

Wtf. Gun shop friend knew a wheel with their custom shop. Also, the burl wood had a couple small holes filled.

I sent a nasty letter. Sent gun back. It came back fixed but buttstock dibnt have the same burl exhibition class wood. Wished i had kept the other.

SOB.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My worst one was when I had a .243 Win Remington 700. I bought it to change it. I rebarreled it to a 26" Sisque Barrel chambered for a Short Fat Seven. It was a .378 Weatherby case necked to 7mm and shortened to 2 1/4". (Has the same capacity as a .300 Weatherby.) Once I had a load worked up I needed something changed. Maybe a better trigger but I don't remember.

Anyway I took my old friend gunsmith to the range to see how accurate it is. I fired two shots at 300 yards and retrieved the target. They were 1/2" apart. He said, "You only fired two shots." "It only holds two rounds. One in the chamber and one in the magazine," I told him. "You have to shoot three shots." So I put up another target and fired three shots. This time the three shots made a nice little triangle measuring 1". He took the rifle to his shop.

A few days later I went by to check on his progress. He took off the stock and sawed the bolt and action in two right in front of the trigger. I was appalled! I was flabbergasted! Finally I got enough composure to ask him why he did that. "That huge case puts too much stress on the action. I did you a favor before you blow yourself up," he defended. Emotionally I responded, "You owe me! I don't know what, but you owe me. Money doesn't cut it! I don't know what, but you owe me!"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Dayom.

The story about your EX-brother was sickening in itself.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a muzzleloader hunt had a doe run straight at me and I shot her dead center int the chest. She tipped over then tried to get up and was heading toward a deep creek ina swamp we were driving. It was January and it was cold and I had no desire to swim that creek so I tackled her. She put up more fight than I had to give and bucked me, I grabbed my gun and smashed her right between the ears. The outcome was my stock breaking into 6fragments and she got loose. I tackled her again on the bank and performed a coup de grad with the barrel, this time her skull fragmented. Never did like flintlock hunting, damn things only go off about half the time they are supposed to, never replaced the stock and that was my last flint lock hunt.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Back in the 70's my Dad worked up some loads for his 788 22-250 during the winter and we went out and shot it in the summer. After he shot it the bolt wouldn't open so we took it home and he tapped on the handle with a rubber mallet which broke the bolt handle off. He sent it in the Remington who fixed it and sent it back along with the case which had a cratered primer. He firmly believes in "extreme" powders now.

Last edited by Whiptail; 04/22/17.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,839
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.