Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not really sure what causes it, perhaps exposure to loud noises over time, I know I loved my loud music back in the day. I'm sure my 20 years in Navy working in either the engine or fire-room did not help any.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same here as others. I like turkey hunting but cant even hear them gobble until they are on top of us. Have to go with a buddy who can hear. I even try to wear ear protection in the field anymore, but not always practical (jump shooting rabbits, pheasants, etc.)

Lately Ive been thinking of going from a 30-06/12 gauge to a 6.5x55/20 Gauge for the instances when I cant get plugs in. A day of pheasant shooting makes my ears ring for days. I also avoid short barrels.

Military and occupation have much to do with my tinnitus. I am just trying to preserve whats left.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by moosemike
Is it possible to spend a lifetime shooting and not have ringing in your ears?

Yes. It is possible, just as it is possible to drive for a lifetime with no traffic accidents. The more you protect -- I have double protected for decades -- the longer you keep from the ringing effect. However, if surprised, and I jump at noise rather than flinching from recoil myself, somebody (as has been said) can ruin itlike a perfect driving record.

Last edited by agazain; 04/23/17.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The strange thing about all this is my older brother spent his entire adult life in a college classroom. Not noisy ones. He is just as bad or worse than me.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had it since I can remember. The only thing I can figure is it is because I had bad ear infections when I was young. Working in industry with no hearing protection didn't help.

I had a boss for 8 years who would ridicule you for wearing hearing protection while doing things like grinding. He did the same when you wore a respirator while spraying paint. He actually forbade me to wear ear protection because he said I couldn't hear him.

I chit you not!! That was the early 80's when you did all you could to hang on to a job.

Last I saw him he had hearing aids in both ears and looks like he's 75, and he's only two years older than me.

Being an azzhole and paying the price.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by papat
The strange thing about all this is my older brother spent his entire adult life in a college classroom. Not noisy ones. He is just as bad or worse than me.

It can be brought on by medication too. My Supervisor was prescribed muscle relaxers and his ears have rang ever since he took the first one and it's been years.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
YES, I'm in the same boat as most of you.

Self induced. Bullet Proof---till it was too late.
Left ear damaged the most - right handed, left ear toward muzzle.

My FIRST handgun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk, need I say more ?

I wish we had known 1/2 as much as we thot.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From what I have been told by my Audiologist/ENT things will most likely not get any better.. I'm pretty much resigned to it is what it is.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
At 63 I have had it more years that not, had hoped hearing aids would help mask it as it did for a friend but I was not so luckily. Today it is ringing louder than most days would be a great if there ever was a cure but I am not holding my breath.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got it bad in my left ear. I'm thinking it's years of driving a truck with the window down. My right ear has it just not as bad. When I shoot I use sponges & ear muffs.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think there was a thread on this subject a while back and Lipo Flavinoid was brought up as a possible remedy. I bought some from my Costco Pharmacy and in 3 days my balance was severely affected not to mention the aftertaste that crap has.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an appointment next week with an ENT. I've had mild tinnitus for a few years in my left ear but the last several months it has gotten a lot worse and now my right ear is ringing too. I also feel like I've had nasal congestion for about the same amount of time sp I'm hoping its allergies or something else that's treatable.

Being 38 I'm hoping its not permanently flared up.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Went to the ENT and audiologist prescribed hearing aids. No matter how the blocking nois was programmed it did not cover up the ringing. Tinnitus is forever, the auditory nerve has been damaged or died and there is no cure.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Is it possible to spend a lifetime shooting and not have ringing in your ears? I'm honestly to the point where I need to stop shooting without ear protection even in hunting situations, which is the only time I ever do shoot without protection.

Excuse me, I didn't ear what you said - the ringing in my ears is too loud.

Besides being born deaf in my left ear, my right ear hearing is now about 30% (according to an audiology test). Certainly, extensive shooting a 220 Swift and 30-06 in my youth didn't help.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A simple OTC therapy that may help some is to take Lipo-Flavinoid twice daily. I use it and it minimizes the ringing.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
A simple OTC therapy that may help some is to take Lipo-Flavinoid twice daily. I use it and it minimizes the ringing.

That's interesting!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Tinnitus is forever, the auditory nerve has been damaged or died and there is no cure.

This about wraps it up. The cilia in the inner ear are damaged and theres no fixing them, no home remedy cures, no snake oil, and no hearing aids that will work.

My left ear has been ringing non-stop for 51 years now, the right ear, only 48 years...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That explains a lot! smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah..I can't hear worth schitt....and my comprehension level is down too! cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
which likely correlates well with your give-a-chit level.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.