Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Not sure how long this has been in effect. I just read it in the '17 regulations.

Blood trailing dog allowed for deer and elk, as long as he is on leash. No hound hunter permit required.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great and long overdue change to the law, IMO. I wish NV would enact the same.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I was you, I would get a Great Pyrenees puppy that would be about 6 months old come season, then put it on every blood trail available. I have had great luck using them on deer, but the Arkansas summers are hard on them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
110 degree highs during late July to early August are not unusual here. Sucks to be anything with fur.

I might think a sweet little beagle would be a great deer tracker, if you could keep him quiet until time to go to work.

Personally, I have never needed help trailing a wounded animal. It helps if you wait to shoot until you are 100% sure of the shot. Prone and a steady rest are my friends.

I admit to breaking that rule a couple times, but got lucky and was able to pull it off.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Shoot them square in the shoulders. Dead right there. No trailing through cactus or dodging diamondbacks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
110 degree highs during late July to early August are not unusual here. Sucks to be anything with fur.

Probably low humidity and cooler nights. Here it is from Mid May until Mid September, with High humidity and warm to hot nights. Mine laid up under a shade and barely moved until right at dusk during those times. Cooler weather made them act like puppies. miles

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get a field-bred English Cocker Spaniel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any versatile European bird dog breed should be trainable. I think I'm going to train one of mine up and see what happens. Following drag trails is already one of the field trial requirements. Shouldn't be too large of a change.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a beagle that was quite good at following blood trails without any training.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
about time!

only time i ever needed to blood trail was a dusk shot with an arrow. got DARK real quick. my Akita was with me in the morning "for bear protection" and he found the deer in 2 minutes. couldn't pack the whole so cut the deer in half. took the hind quarters out first. Kita wouldn't go out with me and when i got back that half of the deer was licked clean as the day it was born!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife has 2 little squeak dogs that probably won't work out for tracking. One's blind and the other's an idiot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My wife has 2 little squeak dogs that probably won't work out for tracking. One's blind and the other's an idiot.

Make perfect Democrats.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Damn, Ringman. Be careful there. You're starting to make sense! smile

For you hot weather guys- get a full-sized Belgian or French strain blood-trailing short-hair Dachsund. I understand they are the best at trailing. US are less so, being lap-dogs mostly.

My (deceased) mini-Dachsund loved to trail, all 13 pounds of him. Hare-chasing SOB. Shoot one in front of him and he would just look disgusted at you - and go find another one. We "lost" him more than once in high country. He thought he was born a caribou-tracker. We'd cut a track and he was gone, sometimes for hours. We never waited long- he'd back-trail and find us. And look at us with a "Well, where were YOU??? expression." I always worried about eagles....

He was a grouse-getter too. He would bark "treed" if one was. Once I was laughing almost too hard to shoot. It was a stand-off- the grouse on a log 3 feet in front of the dog- and he wasn't getting any closer to that puffed up sucker!

He would always jump on and hold down a fluttering grouse, tho.

Not much of a retriever......3 inch legs don't really allow for that.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
My last gsp was great at trailing any bloodied deer. Great to have when one jumps the string when you are bowhunting or some kid gets the shakes and hits one bad.

I have used a cocker to get ducks out of the Pecos River and drastically cut the number of cripples lost when hunting blue quail.

I think they or a fox terrier would do fine.

Ive seen people lose a couple of good bull elk in Co. and it be found a couple weeks too late, when a dog would have found it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Used mine a lot on other folks deer. It got to be a sport of its own. I would start with a young dog and put Him on every trail that I could, even if I saw the deer fall after a few yards, I would take the dog down wind and bring it into the kill zone, and let it trail or wind that few yards. They will pick it up quick, or every Pyrenees that I ever tried young did. Little house dog and the neighbors lab helped us find a buck for my Hunting partner last year. Hit a little high, but there should have been blood and was not, just one small piece of meat. It had circled and went back the opposite way from where we were looking. Went about 250 yards and was dead. The dogs sniffed it out real good even though neither had any experience. miles

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In Missouri you can use a dog to track a wounded deer but only after you have "exhausted all other efforts" and first notify the game warden that you are going to use a dog. And you can have no weapons with you when you track.

I killed a deer two years ago with my bow and knew where it fell but got my untrained Shizhu to see what he would do. I just took him to the site of the shot and he immediately picked up the trail and went right to the deer. He sniffed it and sat down next to it, obviously quite pleased with his find.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll nominate a wirehaired pointing griffon as a perfect dog for anyone who hunts birds and big game. The breed was developed just for those purposes and have great personalities.

Uncle Rocky gives them his highest endorsement...
[Linked Image]

And so does my grandson..
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fooled with Blackmouth Curs for quite a few years and never messed with one that wouldn't trail up wounded deer naturally.

Through observation, I've come to believe that wounded animals give off a trauma scent and it is that, rather than blood, that dogs trail.

Now they CAN and will zero in on a bloodied deer when brought up from downwind, but as far as trailing one up that is wounded, it is the trauma scent they are following. That's why they will pay no attention to trails left by other, unwounded, deer.

I expect any breed of dog can smell it, but some are not inclined to follow it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I expect any breed of dog can smell it, but some are not inclined to follow it.

Back when we ran deer with dogs, it was not uncommon to have dogs that would run deer real well, and not want to mess with a blood trail at all. Also some would only run bucks, but they were few. miles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Airedales

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.