-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In October 1983 I was on a mapping trip into a cave called Devil's Dungeon located east of Dale Hollow Lake. The trip was under the auspices of the National Speleological Society (NSS) and its purpose was to push beyond earlier explorations that had stopped at a place called Bob's Birth Canal. The cave was called Devil's Dungeon because there was a 400 ft belly crawl to get into cave before you could stand up.

My job was to get through Bob's Belly Crawl (BBC) using a WWII surplus trenching tool and go as far as I could. BBC was named for a small fellow named Bob who wriggled through this hole in the wall. After 2 hours, he managed to get to a room with 10 ft ceilings, and then he popped back in the whole and wriggled out. The sight of this muddy fellow coming back out of the hole at the end earned this opening its name.

I was 6'3", 190 lbs at the time. They figured if I could get through, anyone could. There were alternating layers of flowstone and clay at the bottom of BBC. All I had to do was lift up a slab of flowstone and dig out the clay underneath. It was hard work, but I got through.

After emerging into the anteroom on the other side, I pushed solo for 300 yards through virgin cave. I was not only the first human, but probably the first vertebrate to get into these passages. I stopped when I got to a large wall and felt a strong blow issuing from a crack. This meant there was a large bit beyond, but I was alone and this was well beyond the limit of safety.

I was rather muddy from the trip through BBC, on the way out, I found a side room with a nice steady flow of water coming from the ceiling. I washed off in the water before heading back to the anteroom and returning through the BBC. On the way out, it only took me about 10 minutes to get through. The BBC had been widened considerably through my efforts.

In making my report to the cartographer, I mentioned my visit to the room with the water coming from the ceiling. I told him that, should I ever have the opportunity to do so, I'd like to get hold of Gunite machine and do a bathroom just like this place. As a result the cartographer named the room "Bill's Bathroom." The NSS frowned on name so on the final map it ended up as "Bill's Shower." This is now an place name on the official map. I can therefore say that I had my name on the map before I turned 25 years of age.

I have one small side story. Devil's Dungeon is very close to Sgt. Alvin York's Grave outside Pall Mall. It's next to a farmstead that bore a close resemblance to the farm York dreamed about down in the bottoms. About 15 years after my trip down that hole, I ended up marrying a girl from Alvin York's extended family, a girl from McCreary County, Kentucky. York's mother and KYHillChick's father's mother both come from the same tribe, at least by one way of figuring.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by McInnis
I made the front page of the Houston Chronicle on the day I was born.

For some reason they used to make a big deal of the 20,000th baby born in Houston every year. That was me in 1956. The headline said "Casey's batting 20,000". My name is Casey.

So far as fame goes it's pretty well gone downhill since then.

Ah, we have the same town and year of birth..... Dang, we are gettin' pretty old.... laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"... Two 14 hour days coming out with a pack in excess of my own 150 pounds. I was younger then. Possibly a few inches taller too! smile. Haven't gotten any smarter, just older..."

I've had times when I knew I was packing a little over my own scrawny mass.... but these days I can barely lift my own eyebrows. smile
Like the Indian in "Outlaw Josey Wales", I tell my wife often, "I used to have powers!"
smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Drilled and tapped energized 480 volt, 2000 amp buss and installed lugs for a new transformer feed in a health care facility. No available buckets, no other way to do it.

Stopped a charging bear at 10 yards on a moose hunt up in Canada. 250 grain out of a 338 Win mag, was like it hit a brick wall. And didn't crap in my pants!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just remembered the crown jewel of my youth... the longest gravid female tape worm ever recorded (at the time at least) slid out of my diaper and found itself in a jug of Formalin...

I'm hurt you are just now telling me that.
Or, I am hurt by hearing that.
something like that....

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I broke a half inch, high strength log chain in two places with one pull. If you don't believe that, I'm not sure I do either, but I picked up three pieces of chain after that pull.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've jerked it on 6 continents. Drank beer on 5.

Pretty proud of that, myself.

I banged hot bitches on all nine continents.....

Ace

Darn. I didnt know you were a Texican. How was the Afreaken one compared to the Antarctic one?

He's not a texan. You can tell...because he doesn't tell everyone he's a texan within the first 9 seconds of conversation.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My claim to doing something few have done?
I believe every one of these stories. grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Last year I booked a trip in the Republic of Congo to hunt buffalo, with a guide. The guide was to help with the logistics etc. After a couple of days of traveling first by plane, then vehicle, then dugout canoe, then on foot we arrived at a Pygmy village. My guide fell ill. I left him in the village and hunted for two weeks in the rainforest on foot with Pygmy porters and a tracker that could speak a little English. It was a great experience, unfortunately the guide passed away. There us much more to the story but I doubt very few if any hunters will ever do a self guided hunt like that again.

[Linked Image]

That's a cool story.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by renegade50
Yawn...

If CookieDawg could talk, he would tell you what RenAMoron has done that very you sickos have done.

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
What is something you've done or experienced that very few people have done?

http://www.denverpost.com/2009/09/07/southwest-flight-makes-emergency-landing-in-tampa/

Nothing I'm going to tell about.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been banned from TnDeer.com 127 times

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
... the next 10 year's Dos Equis commercials.

grin
Yeah. We're special that way. You could expect nothing less from the campfire.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

Caught a 5.5 pound rainbow that had been leaping up onto dry land to catch passing voles, then she would flop a couple times down slope to regain the water. She had at least 5 in her stomach, gullet, with a tail hanging out the corner of her mouth. And she took my spoon. greedy!

That is a whopper of a fish story right there! grin

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've been banned from TnDeer.com 127 times

And that's the damn truth.
Rule#1 According to Slumlord "Never get attached to a sock puppet"

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by SamOlson
True story.

Trailed cows down main street at 4AM.

Cow chit all over the lawn at the high school.

Its weird how freaking cows on the loose always head to town. Unreal.

Small town here has weekly stock sales at the edge of town. They had a cowboy to run down the strays/ escapees. Was pretty common to go to
Iunch on the square and see a steer hightailing it thru traffic with this guy and his horse in hot pursuit. Probably not that uncommon in the west but not something you see in central Kentucky every day. That guy was pretty good with a lasso.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
I know more about moose bellies than I ever cared to. (calling from sitting positions against trees or on logs). Those things will come right up to you!

Hunted a 50 foot long bowhead whale out of a skin umiak in an Arctic lead.
Bow man had a pointy stick- explosive loaded... Almost got it too. Lots of Eskimos have done it, not that many white folk.

Caught a 5.5 pound rainbow that had been leaping up onto dry land to catch passing voles, then she would flop a couple times down slope to regain the water. She had at least 5 in her stomach, gullet, with a tail hanging out the corner of her mouth. And she took my spoon. greedy!

Went eyeball (mine) to azzhole (its) with a skunk on one very black night. Range about 2 feet....We both escaped unscathed.

Spent an afternoon "wing-shooting" cottontails bailing out of buffalo-berry thickets from 4 -6 feet up after a chinook left the frozen prairie ground several inches deep in standing water.

Got woken in the dead of night - a very dark night- by an aggresive bull moose thrashing brush 15 feet from my sleeping bag. That will wake you up!

I've heard moose roar. Twice. Absolutely hair-raising! First time I didn't know what it was, but I spent the rest of the day hunting about 2 miles away. The second time I saw the cow do it. Both sexes will do it under stress, but it is rare.

Bashed a coyote (at least I hope it was a coyote) in the face high in the Colorado Rockies when it was snuffling the side of the tent, pressing inward.

Stalked a sleeping? cow moose with her head in a bush to within rifle-length butt-poking range. I decided against it.... and eased on out of there. Sleep well Princess!

First sheep hunt was a solo backpack hunt - 18 miles in to the mountain. Killed full curl and packed it out. Two 14 hour days coming out with a pack in excess of my own 150 pounds. I was younger then. Possibly a few inches taller too! smile. Haven't gotten any smarter, just older.

Joined a wandering/feeding pre-rut group of at least 4 bulls and 5-9 cow moose for an hour and a mile or so. Moose all around me, never a time there wasn't one or several within 30 yards, often within 10. They apparently forgot just who all had been invited to the orgy....

Wouldn't have missed any of it for the world!

And here the roar Carolyn and I heard a few times last September, we thought we'd finally just heard a vocalization that was common but we'd never heard... maybe it was more rare...

We've been in the group of cows and bulls like you mention an couple of times. Never a bull large enough to shoot, but that mattered not, it was just flat amazing. Told Carolyn, I suspect not that many have been in gropus like that. Dont' recall the actual numbers, but some cows and close to 10 bulls... one with nice long drop tine but only 40 inches or so...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I will share one on my cousin since he can't. He was welding in a torpedo tube not much bigger than him many years ago at the shipyard he worked at. A ball of weld went down his pants and landed on his private. It didn't take him long to get out of there.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kingston
Top or bottom?

laugh Should have clarified - giving it - not taking it LOL.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was 14 I mowed a 26 year old lady's lawn that lived down the street. I mowed it all summer.

Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.