Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Even with the Ernie the Gunsmith spring I can't get my MOA trigger light than ~3.75 lbs. I like my triggers at about 2.5 lbs. I called Winchester and they won't swap units and require the whole rifle be sent to them with probably a 2 month turn around. I really don't want that delay, hassel with shipping, and potentially loss or damage to the rifle.

Anyone tried the Timney replacement?

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put a Timney in one of mine, great improvement over the MOA factory trigger. Easy to change, I set mine at 2 lbs.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I see no reason to change out the trigger for a TImney unless the factory trigger has an inordinate amount of creep. I am not sure how they adjust for that . I changed out the spring with an Ernie spring on the 70 extreme I owned and was not satisfied with the "Break". Compared to Kimbers , Sakos , Tikkas and other great triggers it was far from crisp.

I handled a 308 Extreme the other day at a gunshop and the trigger was plain awful. I put it back on the rack . I am not going to spend north of 1k on a hunting rifle and spend even more to upgrade a trigger that left the factory like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought the rationale for the MOA was that it was consistently good, unlike the old trigger. Might be I was just lucky, but the three old models I fiddled with all came out just fine. The first, on a 1950 .270 stayed crisp and light for over 30 years. Maybe the factory is just not spending the time it takes to get them right.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Maybe the factory is just not spending the time it takes to get them right.
No - the factory tried to "fix what ain't broke", in typical Browning style..

If the dumbazzes at BACO would have just spent about $50 in a mere refinement nobody would have these issues....

BACO = MORONS..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks all.

I'm going to do a little light stoning, a little light lube in spots, reassemble to see if it helps. I'm not sending it to Winchester for 2 months and give USPS a chance to lose or damage it. I have already had a bolt and a barrel lost in transit and their 'insurance' is a joke!

Some triggers feel lighter than the scale indicates, this one feels heavier. I'll just get the Timney if I'm not happy as I want to take this elk hunting this year.

Last edited by djb; 04/25/17.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

First of all I completely agree with what Redneck says above. BACO made a totally stupid move leaving the old trigger.

I have had two different experiences with the new MOA trigger.

On a Winchester Extreme the sealing goop came out easily and the trigger lightened to between 2 and 2 1/2 pounds easily. Great trigger on that rifle.

The other experience was on a featherweight. The sealing goop was a pain to remove from the inside portion of the trigger where the allen wrench goes. Finally I bought a Timney. It works as advertised with my trigger pull about about 2 1/4 pounds.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I replaced my MOA trigger with the Timney and am very pleased. The MOA wasn't bad but it was heavy. Adjusting it to where I wanted it (2.5-3lbs) caused the trigger to have some issues resetting.

The Timney is great. Perfect, crisp 3lb pull with very little over travel.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wareagle700 - while my reply does not deal with Winchester's MOA trigger it does with regards to the Timney trigger. I readily agree with your solution. Why go thru the hassle of sending the affected rifle back to Winchester or local repair shop with risk of damage or loss. Replace stock trigger with a Timney unit so you know what was done, when it was done and who did the work. Lot less worry that way. Process maybe a pain in the azz BUT it's better than having "60 Minutes" showing up on your door-step. Homesteader

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.