Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mohick
WRONG!! Hit one those critters with your truck and see if Colorado claims it?? No state claims to (own) wildlife!! too much liability

Come to Colorado and poach a 6x bull elk. Get fined $15,000+ for killing a trophy elk without a license and see who you write the check to.If the state don't own and manage the wildlife,they sure got a good scam going.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/24/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is the cost of management, owning them is like a cow herd which if you hit a farmers cow and can prove it is his he is liable for damages

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not on open range it's not. And there's no fence out there that a deer can't jump so it's all open range.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several Supreme Court decisions have confirmed the powers of the individual states to control and manage wildlife. The case which has blocked most of the subsequent efforts to do otherwise was Geer vs. Connecticut in 1996. Justice White included the following in his brief:

Undoubtedly this attribute of government to control the taking of animals ferae naturae , which was thus recognized and enforced by the common law of England, was vested in the colonial governments, where not denied by their charters, or in conflict with grants of the royal prerogative. Its also certain that the power which the colonies thus possessed passed to the states with the separation from the mother country, and remains in them at the present day, in so far as its exercise may be not incompatible with, or restrained by, the rights conveyed to the Federal government by the Constitution.

Subsequent cases have eroded those powers somewhat, but they are almost entirely confined to issues of wildlife in interstate commerce where the federal powers remain supreme.

Last edited by mudhen; 04/25/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you hit a farmers cow and can prove it is his he is liable for damages

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Jane (modick), you ignorant slut.... Colorado is an 'open range' state. If you hit farmer Johns prize cow, it will be YOU paying for his critter, not the other way around like you seem to think....... Drive safe, and don't hit no cows here.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is the cost of management, owning them is like a cow herd which if you hit a farmers cow and can prove it is his he is liable for damages

No.

Doesn't work like that with livestock nor with wild game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by starsky
Originally Posted by Whiptail

What we need to do is charge residents $600 and non-residents $60 to hunt on Federal land. That would even out things out.

Why is it always a texan that can't understand the basics?

Come tromp around on the federal land to your heart's content. Pitch a tent, have a fire if there isn't a fire ban in effect. Want to shoot one of Colorado's critters? Pay the non resident fee for it, because those are COLORADO'S critters and you're not a resident of Colorado. Savvy?

Leave it to entitled coloradoan to think it's his "right" to hunt on Federal land. Nearly all hunting is a PRIVILEGE, especially on FEDERAL LAND. Many Federal areas charge a fee for hunting and charging residents like you extra would be a great idea!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Hunting on your own land is not a privilege,yet CPW insists that you buy a hunting license to do it.That deer ,although it eats all it needs on your land is not yours.
Let it get out on the road and you hit it with your vehicle, you can have it at no charge, all you do is call CPW and tell them you are picking up a road kill.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Leave it to entitled coloradoan to think it's his "right" to hunt on Federal land.

If you want the same deal as a resident hunter, the thing to do is become a resident.

That's not a Colorado thing, every state is that way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by starsky

What we need to do is charge residents $600 and non-residents $60 to hunt on Federal land. That would even out things out.

Why is it always a texan that can't understand the basics?

Come tromp around on the federal land to your heart's content. Pitch a tent, have a fire if there isn't a fire ban in effect. Want to shoot one of Colorado's critters? Pay the non resident fee for it, because those are COLORADO'S critters and you're not a resident of Colorado. Savvy?

Leave it to entitled coloradoan to think it's his "right" to hunt on Federal land. Nearly all hunting is a PRIVILEGE, especially on FEDERAL LAND. Many Federal areas charge a fee for hunting and charging residents like you extra would be a great idea!

I disagree on every count.
No one mentioned a right to hunt on federal land.
Hunting is not necessarily a privilege. Many places it is a simple commodity, private stock and range, sold to what the market will bear.
Most people think of public land in 3 main categories - Parks, NF, and BLM. I have not heard of charges for hunting federal land. If you have please share examples of the 'many' areas that charge a fee.

It is peculiar to me that this gripe comes up from time to time. There are maybe a dozen or so states where someone can hunt elk. In most all of them non-residents pay 5 to 10 times what a state resident pays. Colorado provides the most non-resident elk opportunities of anywhere yet I hear this argument that Colorado hunting is somehow not a fair deal.

Here's a win-win solution. STAY HOME.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Here's a win-win solution. STAY HOME.

That's right. Especially if you're planning to hunt at.........never mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
if you hit a farmers cow and can prove it is his he is liable for damages

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Jane (modick), you ignorant slut.... Colorado is an 'open range' state. If you hit farmer Johns prize cow, it will be YOU paying for his critter, not the other way around like you seem to think....... Drive safe, and don't hit no cows here.

+1

As usual mohick proves he is an idiot

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
K
KRD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Here is a radical thought, regarding the fee increase for resident senior fishing licenses, it should probably be double what it is for non-seniors.
The reason is that seniors have all the time to fish and put much greater pressure on the resources.
BTW, I am a senior and probably fish 4X as much as I did before I retired.

Regarding resident hunting fees going up 50%, put it in perspective. A $20 increase in an elk tag is a nit with regard to what most of us sportsmen whiz away on all of the other costs of a hunting trip. Consider all of the toys that we need for an elk hunt. Many of which need to be replenished each year.

Now if they actually do implement a $20 application fee, that would be extremely detrimental to CPW. If everyone said screw it and waited for the Leftover draw, it would totally screw up the draw process for the state and possibly reduce revenues significantly.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by KRD
Here is a radical thought, regarding the fee increase for resident senior fishing licenses, it should probably be double what it is for non-seniors.
The reason is that seniors have all the time to fish and put much greater pressure on the resources.
BTW, I am a senior and probably fish 4X as much as I did before I retired.

Regarding resident hunting fees going up 50%, put it in perspective. A $20 increase in an elk tag is a nit with regard to what most of us sportsmen whiz away on all of the other costs of a hunting trip. Consider all of the toys that we need for an elk hunt. Many of which need to be replenished each year.

On the other hand I have had a fishing license for the last four years ,plus a 2nd rod stamp and I have not wet a line in those four years.So what you are proposing is only an opinion,not backed up by facts.Ditto for small game license.

Same with your theory of elk license. I have not bought a gadget/toy/ firearm for hunting for many years,and I don't whiz away money for hunts.

CPW whizzes away a whole lot more money.Like dumping a lot of trout into lakes that have northern pike which eat more than 50% of the trout stocked, or the sage grouse study they did in NW CO that cost and average of$50,000 per bird they capture. That info from the people who were doing the study in Unit 201,Cold Spring Mountain, in 2009, or paying for hunter access on private land in eastern CO where a lot of the land s questionable habitat for species to be hunted.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/29/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Leave it to entitled coloradoan to think it's his "right" to hunt on Federal land.

If you want the same deal as a resident hunter, the thing to do is become a resident.

That's not a Colorado thing, every state is that way.

Funny thing is if you look at the percentages of how much more a non resident tag is versus a resident tag in Colorado and Texas they are about the same. Charging non residents more isn't unique to Colorado, it's how it is and how it should be in most places

I am a native Texan in Colorado. If a Texan would factor in the cost of leases and tags in TX they'd realize that Colorado is a value

Last edited by huntsonora; 04/29/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
saddlesore,

The only reason I buy a small game license anymore is just in case I come across a coyote on my farm, or have to kill a rattlesnake around my house and someone hassles me.

Can you believe that rattlers are now game animals here in CO, and there is a season on them?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do you have to have a license, to shoot stuff on your own property in Colo. ??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Man that really sucks!! Must be money hungry there, don't have to have any license here to hunt your own property,or fish , landowner deer tags are free also but you do have to have a tag, used to just put your name on a piece of paper. turkey same deal . over 65 now so don't need hunting or fishing license anyway. except deer and turkey

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Man that really sucks!!

No it doesn't. Like someone else said, why would a NR even concern himself with resident fees in another state.

That's not a question.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.