Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
starting to hit home around here.

Gander Mountain, HH Gregg, I can't believe Sears has held on this long, two other stores locally I never went to but have prime real estate are closing up this month as well.

Our local mall area is going to be a ghost town soon.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sears closed here a couple of months ago.

Mike

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
12 years ago, I really liked the store in Fredericksburg, VA. I bought a lot of guns there at very good prices. The gun manager was super cool.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonder how long BassPro's gun counter is going to hang in. I have spent more than a fair amount of time at my local BassPro. They do have sales on their guns occasionally, but it's a rare occasion. Usually 20-30% over what you can find elsewhere in a LGS or on the internet.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I always hear these stories about these liquidation companies that come in and do inventory clearance sales jacking the prices up even further so they can "reduce" them by 30% and still turn the same profit margins. These gigantic brick and mortar stores are going away. There's just no room in a competitive market for high prices with everyone being able to go on line and find much better deals, even after paying for shipping. It's not limited to gun shops-other retail categories are bleeding too.

Quite a few years back now, maybe 5 or 6 a Super K-mart was closing it's doors and everything was being liquidated. The wife and I went looking to see if anything good was left. She found nothing she wanted. Me? I came home with 27 boxes of 30-30 170 gr. ammo for $4.00 a box, 5 boxes of .308 Win. for $500 a box and 4 boxes of 30-06 180 gr. for $6.00 a box. Cash or credit card, no checks. I think I made out pretty darn good on that deal. Would have bought more but that was all they had, all Winchester brand. I don't think I had any complaints.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAS
12 years ago, I really liked the store in Fredericksburg, VA. I bought a lot of guns there at very good prices. The gun manager was super cool.

The Operations Manager was a good dude as well!
grin
That was the last store I worked in for them.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wow, this is a surprise.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by RAS

grin

Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by RAS

grin

I also bought a lot of stuff at the Fredericksburg, VA store.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I helped open the Fredericksburg store originally and then was back in it as Operations Mgr around '05-'06 before leaving the company.
I helped open stores in VA, PA, AR, TX, NY, KY.
Good times and saw some amazing firearms pass through those stores.
Saw the writing on the walls not long after they decided to open Big Box stores in lieu of the 28000-32000 SF stores that were perfect.
Hiring the CFO of Home Depot will do that for ya!

Last edited by WFR; 05/08/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They built a new store in Cedar Rapids and have been having a moving sale at the old one for quite some time, preparing to move into the new one. I wonder what will become of it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always liked both Gander and Cabela's as mail order type stores. Never cared for Cabela's in brick/mortar form and don't think I've ever darkened the door of a GM store. Too bad when the more simple solution, and probably a path to success would have been to transition from catalog sales to internet, kind of like what MidwayUSA has done.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I was at the store in Parker Co. today, the Google search for that store said Grand Opening, clicked the link and it said, Store Closing!

10% off pricing almost brought the price down to retail at the other local stores.

We went to the local Cabelas after and said, Wow these prices seem better than sale prices at Gander.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gander Mountain lost my business the day they demanded my ID to buy some ammo. There is no State or Federal law that mandates that. I have not been back.

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have always said that I will dance in front of the store here when it closes.... most untrustworthy store ever... prices on ammo & reloading supplies twice as much as you could get it elsewhere... Then to top it off, it got so bad, I had to start writing down the price of everything I did end up buying... because every time I went to the register things would ring up higher than marked.. such a dirty business practice... sorry for the employees... but glad to see them go.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bought a guide series foldup rain jacket for a good price. Can't wait to see the store empty

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No loss!! Just another high priced trinket store for yuppies that didn't know any better !!!

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by RAS

grin

Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by RAS

grin

I also bought a lot of stuff at the Fredericksburg, VA store.

That was my favorite, until the remodel a couple years ago. Seemed to change the management, and the service. The Woodbridge store is never busy, and no deals on firearms. They've had a couple good managers, but none of the good ones seem to stay too long.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought them out. I lived close to The first GM store, in Wisconsin. I used to go there all the time and got some great deals. But I have not been to one in years. You can do better at your local Walmart or online. When an outfit like that goes under, you wonder what happened. They didn't have a ton of competition. Bad management? Poor marketing? There sure is no lack of potential buyers nowdays.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RAS

My experience was 180 degrees. Whatever the firearm, I could always find it much cheaper, locally. And their gun counter guy didn't know squat.

I did like their selection of fishing gear though, it was great.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 58 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,496
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.