-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those 'howa' type things are left over stuff from the little scum who started WW2, killed hundreds of thousands of Americans and continue hurting the USA.

[Linked Image]

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
But of course none of the stuff you like has anything to do with Germany, right?

Look up the definition of hypocrite.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So..... If you feel that way..... Don't buy German....... Don't buy Russian....... Don't buy from Christ killing Jews....... Let's see how bigoted and unforgiving we can be.
By the way. My dad and father in law both served in WWII in the Pacific.
My dad bought a Datsun ( Nissan for the younger crew ) in '71 a mere 26 years after VJ Day.
Can you even give me the date for VE and VJ Days, or has your prejudice completely blinded you?
Please forgive me if I've offended you, but get a life.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
By the way, the little sum didn't start the war.
We laid the ground work for Hitler with the Treaty of Versailles........ Study your history.
The Marshall plan was a better victors solution.
And yes, i had a great uncle who was a translator for the folks ( French ) during travesty of "negotiating" the Treaty.
But of course we had to punish the dirty little scum who started that war.......

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As long as I'm on my soapbox.....
I'm not buying from you stinkin' Yankees.......
Y'all Yankees shouldn't buy from no Southern Rebs either......
How's many Americans killed each other in that little disagreement?
And you're worried about who builds a piece of equipment........

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got my Howa 6.5x55 out to the range for the first time today. Boresighted it looking down the barrel. First shot at 50 yards was 2 inches right. Shot two more then moved to the 100 yard line. I shot a three shot group that was about an inch and made another adjustment. I shot one more. It is the one at the top of the dot. I gave it two right clicks and shot the three shot group you see. Not where I wanted it to be, but plenty tight. I didn't measure it, but I'd guess it to be about 3/4" That dog will hunt! Looks like 44 grains of RL17 and a 129 SST is just the ticket. Not too shabby for a $295 gun.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 05/13/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Paul

Ain't nuttin wrong with that.

All of the 4 I've had shot very well too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by John_Boy
So..... If you feel that way..... Don't buy German....... Don't buy Russian....... Don't buy from Christ killing Jews....... Let's see how bigoted and unforgiving we can be.
By the way. My dad and father in law both served in WWII in the Pacific.
My dad bought a Datsun ( Nissan for the younger crew ) in '71 a mere 26 years after VJ Day.
Can you even give me the date for VE and VJ Days, or has your prejudice completely blinded you?
Please forgive me if I've offended you, but get a life.

My Father was a Marine from 1937 thru 1947, served on Guadalcanal and Okinawa, and hated everything Japanese for the rest of his life. He wouldn't buy anything Japanese unless there wasn't a viable alternative. He never forgot or forgave the Japanese/ for attacking the U.S. and for killing/wounding many of his friends. Your Father was obviously a more forgiving man than mine was.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was also a Christian. The world may not forgive, but a Christian must forgive.
I am a Christian therefore I must forgive. We can't pick and choose which parts of scripture we want to obey.
Life isn't always pleasant. And a lot of people die at the hands of their fellow men.
But, if we don't forgive, those people maintain control over our lives.
If Christ controls or lives we will forgive.
We are either slaves to sin ( our own passions and desires ) or we are slaves to Christ.
We are only truly free when we submit to Christ.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My dad was also a Christian. The world may not forgive, but a Christian must forgive.
I am a Christian therefore I must forgive. We can't pick and choose which parts of scripture we want to obey.
Life isn't always pleasant. And a lot of people die at the hands of their fellow men.
But, if we don't forgive, those people maintain control over our lives.
If Christ controls or lives we will forgive.
We are either slaves to sin ( our own passions and desires ) or we are slaves to Christ.
We are only truly free when we submit to Christ.

Turning the other cheek is easy to say, or type, but much more difficult when you've experienced the horrors of war for yourself.

I knew a man, who has since passed, who was among the first U.S. Army soldiers to liberate a concentration camp in Europe during WW2. It haunted him all his life and he never forgot or forgave the Germans for standing by while the SS gathered their neighbors up and sent them to their deaths.

One of the most despicable men who I have ever met was an avowed Christian. My distasteful experience with him has caused me to be skeptical about a person's motives when they claim piety or invoke the name of GOD to gain some moral advantage.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For the war issues read "Unbroken" the story of a war veteran.
For your experience with Christians, it's never good to lump everyone in a group due to the minority who fail to meet your expectations.
I never said forgiveness is easy. It is necessary however if we proclaim the name of Christ.
I fail at it daily, but daily I seek forgiveness.
It's a cold heart and dead spirit that refuses to forgive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sorry you feel that way.
Your whatever will have eternal consequences.
Man has a choice.
Christ will either be your Savior, or your judge.
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me."
Don't reject Christ out of hand.
Send me your address send I'll send you a New Testament.
Read it and then decide if you're good with whatever.

As a note. Any member here who doesn't have a Bible I'll make the same offer.
Send me your address and I'll send you a small copy of the New Testament.

John Boy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My schpeal

I have a Howa 270, Rem700 6mmBR, and lots of Mausers... comparing them...

The book to get is "Bolt Action Rifles" 4th edition by de Haas.
Modern Firearms + Amazon webstore - Bolt Action Rifles

The 98 Mauser/ pre 64 M70 has:
1) flat bottomed receiver to take torque from rifling
2) controlled feed
3) claw typed extractor
4) safety on firing pin, often modified to be 2 or 3 position M70 type
5) multi stage gas filter on firing pin hole for safety
6) bolt handle is integrally forged as part of bolt body
7) safety lug below rear bridge
8) integral recoil lug
9) knife ejector in bolt lug slot
10 an inner C ring to put the tenon threads in compression

The rem 700
1) receiver made from round tubing
2) push feed
3) little wimpy extractor
4) safety on trigger
5) simple bolt
6) bolt handle tacked on with screw and solder
7) nothing for safety if bolt lugs fail.
8) recoil lug is a modified washer that is captured by the receiver and barrel
9) plunger ejector
10) No inner C ring, so the only thing holding the barrel to the receiver is the tenon threads in tension

Of the ~100 bolt action covered in the above book, they seem to all be on the spectrum somewhere between the simple Rem700 and the complex 1898 Mauser design.

The Howa 1500:
1) flat bottom receiver
2) push feed
3) short claw extractor is bigger than rem, but smaller than M98
4) three position bolt safety
5) simple bolt
6) Integral bolt handle
7) nothing
8) integral recoil lug
9) plunger ejector

I would give the Howa Mauser scale = ~50% Mauser
I would give the Howa Rem700 scale = ~50% Rem700

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry you feel that way.
Your whatever will have eternal consequences.
Man has a choice.
Christ will either be your Savior, or your judge.
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me."
Don't reject Christ out of hand.
Send me your address send I'll send you a New Testament.
Read it and then decide if you're good with whatever.

As a note. Any member here who doesn't have a Bible I'll make the same offer.
Send me your address and I'll send you a small copy of the New Testament.

John Boy

No disrespect intended, but if you're directing this at me, save your proselytizing for someone who needs or wants it, as I neither want, nor need, to have anyone pushing their religion on me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My schpeal

I have a Howa 270, Rem700 6mmBR, and lots of Mausers... comparing them...

The book to get is "Bolt Action Rifles" 4th edition by de Haas.
Modern Firearms + Amazon webstore - Bolt Action Rifles

The rem 700
2) push feed
3) little wimpy extractor
4) safety on trigger
5) simple bolt
6) bolt handle tacked on with screw and solder
7) nothing for safety if bolt lugs fail.
8) recoil lug is a modified washer that is captured by the receiver and barrel
9) plunger ejector
10) No inner C ring, so the only thing holding the barrel to the receiver is the tenon threads in tension

Of the ~100 bolt action covered in the above book, they seem to all be on the spectrum somewhere between the simple Rem700 and the complex 1898 Mauser design.

I've noted this before:

In a book by De Haas and Van Zwoll** a Remington engineer named Mike Keeney states that the Rem 700 receiver starts out as bar stock. Furthermore he states that seamless tubing in 4140 is expensive enough that it is actually cheaper for Remington to start with bar stock and do their own machining.

**Bolt Action Rifles, expanded 4th edition, page 420, ©2003

Is this in conflict with your book?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Understood. But I don't push a religion. I share a faith.
I realize it's not for everyone, but have you ever just put it to the test.
To revert to my childhood days......I triple dog dare you to try it......🤓
Seriously, the members here are a great bunch. As much as I'm willing to share important gun information, I'm more willing to share information that's life saving.
Sincerely,
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
[quote=Clarkm]

The rem 700

I've noted this before:

In a book by De Haas and Van Zwoll** a Remington engineer named Mike Keeney states that the Rem 700 receiver starts out as bar stock. Furthermore he states that seamless tubing in 4140 is expensive enough that it is actually cheaper for Remington to start with bar stock and do their own machining.

**Bolt Action Rifles, expanded 4th edition, page 420, ©2003

Is this in conflict with your book?

My memory is not good, but I don't think I got the "tube" notion from the book, but from an online post.
I think I will have to remove the "tube" word from my spiel.

The problems with round bottom receivers I got from Bart Bobbitt back in the 90s.
Those problems may have been overcome.
Half the rifles I build now are round bottom, but I am not getting 3" 20 shot groups at 800 yards with a 308 like Bart did in 1997.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used both Remington 700's and 7's for a good many years, and never had that "little wimpy" extractor not work......zero problems over many thousands of rounds fired. Almost everything I've shot through those rifles has been reloads, and most have been loaded to max, or above max. I have had 4 Howa's and one Weatherby Vanguard (same thing), and had 3 of them fail to extract at times. The Vanguard, a Predator model in 223, was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned, but after replacing the extractor twice, due to breakage, I sent it on down the road. Just telling it like it happened to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
James, you can work up in 223 or 308 or 300WM until the extractor groove grows 0.001" in a Rem700 or Sav 110 with their wimpy extractors.
But if you do something that makes the primer pocket twice as big in diameter, you will wish you had a Ruger #1.

If you get a stuck case in a Rem700 or Sav110 and jump with all your weight on the bolt handle like jumping on a pogo stick, the wimpy extractor [or wimpy bolt handle on a Rem700] will fail. You will wish you had a 98 Mauser or pre 64 Win M70.

But the truth is the average sportsman consumer does not require much rifle ruggedness to shoot a deer every year.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.