Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over Varget & Re15's relatively poor metering. Those are probably the 2 winningest powders in rifle competition. If I was a betting man and we could verify it, I'd bet that between those 2 they have more wins than all other powders combined. 4895 would be the only thing even close and that's ancient history.

Ancient history; time to move on. AR Comp, 8208, TAC, MR-2000 will all do at least as well at a minimum & are all easier to load.

MM

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8208 might be the next thing, and I like AR Comp, but it doesn't seem to be catching on. TAC has never really caught on and I don't think MR-2000 will either.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by BarryC
I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over Varget & Re15's relatively poor metering. Those are probably the 2 winningest powders in rifle competition. If I was a betting man and we could verify it, I'd bet that between those 2 they have more wins than all other powders combined. 4895 would be the only thing even close and that's ancient history.

Ancient history; time to move on. AR Comp, 8208, TAC, MR-2000 will all do at least as well at a minimum & are all easier to load.

MM

Alright MM, your best suggestion for the best powder to use in a powder measure (no muss no fuss easy dropping powder like H335), that will produce the most consistently accurate loads using 68+ grain bullets? Thanks... Anyone else please feel free to answer this question as well. Currently, I'm dropping RL15 with no problems. Seems to be pretty accurate from my powder measure. I'm also going against the grain and going to try some FC range pick-up brass. We'll see how long those primer pockets hold up. I've had problems with other chamberings, using FC brass, but this brass doesn't look bad and all the pockets were very tight for their first loading. We'll see how that turns out over time..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've given you the powders; I'm sure you would rather work up your own loads for your guns than use mine. blush

What I will tell you is that AR Comp is a re-formulated version of RL-15 to make it more temp stable & during that conversion the burn rate has turned out to be a tad faster; powder granules are also smaller & darker.

In the order of flowability (through a Redding 3BR), MR-2000 is the finest powder from a grain size & flows the best, followed by 8208 & then AR Comp; all flow better than RL-15 or Varget & all fill the case to a lower level as well. All 3, on my scale, don't vary more than a 1/10th of a grain.

RL-15 is fine & a very good powder, & I use it in several bolt guns; Varget is very good & I use it occasionally in a 7-08 with certain bullets, but in a 5.56 case, it's just too bulky, especially with 77 grain bullets.

Do your testing & make up your own mind.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks MM. That is helpful info. Much appreciated.. I'll be on the lookout for AR comp and 8208. I'll see what kind of availability we have around here locally.. As per always, I'm not looking for exact load data, as I always work up and reference book data as well as use my trusty chrono... wink.. The info about what works well in the AR and the small .223 rem case and flows through a powder measure is what I'm mainly looking for. Thanks buddy..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
AR Comp is the way to go to "replace" those two powders in the AR platform.

Thanks DD. I didn't see your post from yesterday. Much appreciated...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I've given you the powders; I'm sure you would rather work up your own loads for your guns than use mine. blush

What I will tell you is that AR Comp is a re-formulated version of RL-15 to make it more temp stable & during that conversion the burn rate has turned out to be a tad faster; powder granules are also smaller & darker.

In the order of flowability (through a Redding 3BR), MR-2000 is the finest powder from a grain size & flows the best, followed by 8208 & then AR Comp; all flow better than RL-15 or Varget & all fill the case to a lower level as well. All 3, on my scale, don't vary more than a 1/10th of a grain.

RL-15 is fine & a very good powder, & I use it in several bolt guns; Varget is very good & I use it occasionally in a 7-08 with certain bullets, but in a 5.56 case, it's just too bulky, especially with 77 grain bullets.

Do your testing & make up your own mind.

MM

I just checked the local stores around here and no luck on AR comp or 8208. I'm heading to reno on Thursday, maybe I'll hit a few stores there and see what I find. Thanks again for the help...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright, I found some AR comp in Reno. I'll load some up and see how she goes... Powder granule size looks great (smaller than RL15). As you guys said, should meter better. I'm hoping I get the accuracy I'm looking for too...

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 450yukon, 264mag, 19 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.