Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since we have some experts, let me through out my situation.

Put up a Humingbird feeder 2 years ago - no birds.

Hmmm, there are plenty in the area, hey fly in my garage and then can't find their way out.

Last year, I cahnged to location of the feeder and the nectar and got birds!

This year, same feeder and same kind of nectar, but only have had a couple of fly bys. No regular birds. Down ere in Georgia, we should have plenty by now.

Who has ideas, tips?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I always add sugar to the nectar. They're sugar junkies. Make it sweet and they'll never leave you until the fall. If they don't eat it all right away, I'll dump it out after about a week or so and change it because it'll start getting funky.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, good point. I filled up a month + ago and they only took about 20% and left.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Two cups boiling water, one cup sugar. They love that stuff.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We had the first 2 hummers of the year, at our feeder yesterday.
Sugar water in a red feeder--

IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TBREW401
We had the first 2 hummers of the year, at our feeder yesterday.
Sugar water in a red feeder--

What part of the country are you in?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two cups boiling water, one cup sugar.

Hmmm. Been using 4 waters to 1 sugar for a long time, and I have lots of birds. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Boil the water. Change once a week if they don't drink all of it, it begins to go septic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got lots of them at my feeders.
I don't have a recipe, but I fill the feeder half way with sugar, and then use hot sink water to disolve til feeder is full.
It's sweet !!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had hummers for about 3 weeks now. I use 1:1 syrup. I don't fill feeder full and change it every 3-4 days. I have several feeders and have hummers on all of them.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by milespatton
Two cups boiling water, one cup sugar.

Hmmm. Been using 4 waters to 1 sugar for a long time, and I have lots of birds. miles

This is our recipe as well. We never get more than four or so. Can't say I blame them, who the fugg wants to stay in Florida!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell , plant Honeysuckle in areas easily viewed, feed and water THEM. They'll do all the rest of the work,......I've got a big one in front of my kitchen window,....and it's a major attraction , they'll (hummers) nest there, so one has to be REAL careful whilst pruning.

Good reminder to dig out my red welding cap for the Summer,....talk about close up viewing !

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/08/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My recipe also. Been feeding them for 26 years, always get plenty of birds. My first ones of the season showed up last week. Right on schedule.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They go for your red cap? Seriously?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, 2-1 ratio, using cane sugar only and no coloring. Never use the store-bought nectar mix. Never use honey.

I hang my feeders under my eaves so they are out of direct sun. The birds have also learned that it's a dry place to perch and eat during a storm.

If I see evidence of mold or other funk, I clean the feeder bottles with a mild bleach solution, followed by an alcohol rinse, and then several hot water rinses.

Edit to add: Hatari, if I sit quietly on my deck, I've had them investigate a small red emblem/patch on my shirt front. It's so cool to have one hover two inches from me until he decides I'm no flower!

Last edited by RockyRaab; 05/08/17.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm doing some other cultivation out front (where the big honeysuckle abides), and with the winds here, have to stay on top of trellissing, and watering. It's a shady cool area in high Summer. Hell Man, when I'm out there working / fooling around they LAND on me.
.....my Gambels Quail are pretty tame, too.

If you can grow Mexican Red Bird of Paradise, you'll be SWAMPED in Fall hummers. My neighbor's got some adjacent to his welding and beer drinking area,....and it's a riot. I've got some started from seed,....and hope to see some action here in a year or two.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are a few things out here that buzz, and fly about that one DOESN'T want landing on him,.....I'll have to own up to have had the odd scare thrown at me a time or two.

GTC

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yes, 2-1 ratio, using cane sugar only and no coloring. Never use the store-bought nectar mix. Never use honey.

I hang my feeders under my eaves so they are out of direct sun. The birds have also learned that it's a dry place to perch and eat during a storm.

If I see evidence of mold or other funk, I clean the feeder bottles with a mild bleach solution, followed by an alcohol rinse, and then several hot water rinses.

Edit to add: Hatari, if I sit quietly on my deck, I've had them investigate a small red emblem/patch on my shirt front. It's so cool to have one hover two inches from me until he decides I'm no flower!

I'm guessing you do don't always smell like Chanel #5?? smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They know they can move faster than you, so they're not afraid of you. I've had them almost run into my head before. You almost need to wear safety glasses so you don't get eye put out or something. The best part is when you get a big male hording the feeder. That's when you get high speed mid-air dog fights going on.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's safe to say that I never smell like Chanel #5!

The birds soon get used to you if they see you often enough. Just don't make sudden moves and they'll go about their business while you watch them.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,698
Posts18,513,676
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.