Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12019974 05/07/17
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've never been much of a Dieter myself. If I let myself go I noticed the scale starts to creep up over 300 pounds fairly easily. a buddy of mine from work got me started on the keto diet. So far so good I'm six days in, I've been doing really well. Cravings have just started to hit pretty strong but so far so good and not giving in.

who here has tried it or been on this diet? What were some of your favorite recipes? Or not even necessarily recipes just foods to eat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been on a very low carb regime since Christmas, and have lost more than 35 lbs. It is easy enough to maintain if eating in, a bit harder if eating out. I mostly keep meals fairly simple. As you'd know, you can enjoy a nice steak, with the fat, and perhaps a side of spinach braised in butter with sour cream or feta cheese added at the end of cooking, or mushrooms sauteed in butter - I was out gathering red pine mushrooms this (southern) autumn so I've had a lot of those lately, or some braised cabbage, or broccoli or cauliflower with butter etc. I eat a fair bit of fish too, either those I've caught or bought, and game. You do have to be careful about things like sauces though, as many have a lot of sugar, and so it is worth checking labels. You can also do things like using shredded steamed cauliflower instead of rice, or spirals of zucchini instead of spaghetti. There's also no-carb pasta and rice substitutes made of konjac, but these are really not very satisfying. You should also realise that fat is not your enemy, and don't stint on using it. I use butter, olive oil and coconut oil fairly liberally.

During the day I eat a good bit of cheese, olives, cold cuts, smoked salmon and tinned fish. I'm probably eating a bit more in the way of nitrites than is entirely healthy though. Of course you can also throw in celery, lettuce, asparagus, cabbage and make salads, and as long as you make your own dressing you can fill up without really worrying about carbs. If I could eat eggs I'd be eating plenty of those too - boiled, fried, scrambled, frittata etc.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know what that diet is, but the one I've been on, I've lost 48 pounds in the last month and a half.. Low carb and the right foods.... wink Was at 252, now I'm weighing in at 204. Told my wife, I'm going to stop at 200 and just maintain.. Easy enough to do, just have to have will power... wink Good luck with your diet firstcoues.. I hope it goes well for you buddy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
bsa,

that's great, keep it up. 200 sounds about right.

I'm not on a diet but have been holding pretty steady after losing 15 or so pounds over the winter after some surgery. Another 10-15 and I'd be really happy. I've always been a proponent of eating a wide variety of stuff, I personally don't hold with much of anything being "bad" for a person. I do realize our ancestors didn't eat a bunch of candy every day, pie was treat, things along those lines. Our predecessors ate carbs when they were available, some cultures lots of carbs. Some cultures lots of meat/fish protein. It's all "good" in my mind, I just have to limit the amount of high calorie stuff, in my case I limit sodium as well as I can, eat a few servings of fruit every day if possible, I enjoy many veggies so those are usually a daily thing or close to it.

My problem for the last couple of months has been limited exercise due to some eye surgeries I've had. Now I'm trying to slowly get back into a routine that involves more activity.

Good luck to you other folks too. Just remember, once it's off the real work begins.

Geno

PS, y'all do realize, probably we are almost all genetically programmed to put on weight, to store for lean times. Unfortunately, most of us have first world problems like which rifle do I want to take to the range, not problems like it's late winter, the birds haven't arrived yet, there's nothing growing , all our winter food is gone, even the rodents haven't come up for from hibernation yet. I sure wish I had eaten more blueberries and fish in the fall!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Never heard of it, but good luck.

I have lost weight too, I don't how much though. I lost a couple of waist sizes. Low carbs was the answer for me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got down to my ideal weight doing this. For a bread fix, blend up cauliflower and dry it out. Then bind it together with an egg and form it into a pizza crust and then bake it for 20 minutes. Top it with anything you put on pizza. Cheese, sausage pepperoni etc. and bake again to cook toppings.

Last edited by Toddly; 05/08/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on watching carb intake, I have lost 60# by watching carbs and walking a mile every day. As I got older the weight was creeping on, my heaviest was 311#, I met a really big guy in deer camp about that time. 300# was well in his rear view mirror, he was undoubtedly
4-500#. He told me that once his weight passed 350# no matter what he did he just kept gaining and could not lose weight no matter what he tried. This was my inspiration to lose weight as I certainly didn't want that to be me. By watching my carb intake, having a light mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack along with drinking eight 8oz. glasses of water the weight has come off. Sometimes signifigant amounts at a time and sometimes slowly. I was plateaued at 265# for 12 months but I didn't let that discourage me. I'm currently 256# which is close to my goal weight, the weight loss has slowed to 2-3# every three months. But I remain commited to sticking to the program as my goal weight is in sight. Good luck to all no matter how you choose to lose, sticking with your program is the key to success and maintaining a healthy weight.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I've never been much of a Dieter myself. If I let myself go I noticed the scale starts to creep up over 300 pounds fairly easily. a buddy of mine from work got me started on the keto diet. So far so good I'm six days in, I've been doing really well. Cravings have just started to hit pretty strong but so far so good and not giving in.

who here has tried it or been on this diet? What were some of your favorite recipes? Or not even necessarily recipes just foods to eat.

I found that eating cherry tomatoes when I felt the worms biting made all the difference...and for some reason when I did this I didn't lose energy or get dry in the mouth...probably all in the mind, but whatever works.

Took a bit to sort out which lot tasted the best though as some really are terrible.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, you need to try not to go overboard on the bacon and sausage. You will still lose weight but you'll send your triglycerides into the stratosphere.

Every week I would pressure cook a bunch of chicken breasts, shred them and put this into ziplock bags. This was my lunch everyday. Id put some salsa and a little cheese on it. It is tasty and it keeps the belly from growling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife has been on this diet for 2 months, only long term issue is see is cutting out fruit. Lean meats, lots of veggies, no carbs, as far as health goes it's about as good as it gets. She has lost about 15 pounds but she didn't need to lose all of that, she looked pretty darn good to start with.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have lost approx 75lbs in the last year. I got a long way to go so I needed a nutrition program that I could live with for years or likely a lifetime. I eat whole fat foods and limit carbs and sugars. NotIce I said limit. I call it the 80/20 plan. 80 % of the time I am eating to lose weight and the other 20% I am on the margins. Since i had a lot of weight to loose therecwas no way for me to realisticaly stay on a strict weight loss diet for the amount of time it woukd take to lose it all. I couldnt imagine never eating pasta or mashed potatoes or sausage and gravy bisquits for years. No way was that going to happen. Nor had it happened in the past. I lose from 3-10lbs a month depending on what ai am eating. Key for me was changing what I eat on a regular basis. I been on it for a full year this week and I feel great as changing and limiting bad things have had other health benefits. I believe I can stay on this plan for a very long time and ai have noticed that I make better choices as every month goes by. If next year i am another 60-80 lbs down I will consider it a success. Long term is the key for those who need to loose big weight. I dont advertise to my friends , family or aquaintances that I am working down my weight as they tend to want to be helpful with advise but sometimes sabatoge efforts to so so by thinking you should loose more quickly. I got this big by going on short term diets to loose 20 lbs only to go crazy after I coukdnt stay on the plan and gained 30 back over and over again.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Never heard of it, but good luck.

I have lost weight too, I don't how much though. I lost a couple of waist sizes. Low carbs was the answer for me.

Keto diet (short for ketogenic) is a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet. In the same group as the Paleo diet and the Atkins diet. A person becomes "ketogenic" when they primarily burn fat for energy. There's a whole cult developing around this with people doing urine and blood tests to measure how ketogenic they are. In my mind, everything in moderation, even moderation.

The underlying assumption is that the human body is not well adapted to a diet with a lot of carbs. Carbs were the food of last resort in our history,;it's what we ate when all the fish and meat were gone to survive until the next "big cook". I suspect that's why your body reacts to carbs with the survival response of storing as much fat as possible. If there is plenty of fish in the river and plenty of game, there's no need to store fat: it's in the diet. Once the diet deteriorates with increased carbs, the famine response kicks in and fat is created and stored.

The quality and balance of fats (Omega 3 and Omega 6, DHA and EPA) in these diets become pretty critical. Wild game, grass fed beef and butter, and free range eggs are pretty useful to keep things in balance.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great summary Dutch. For me the secret is having the low carb/sugar foods available all the time and to eat frequently not largely. Lean steak, baked chicken, nuts and lots of salads work well. We eat Cod and Salmon several times / week and cherry tomatos are great snacks.

We older guys still need to control fats so a big breakfast for me is 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites with sauteed onions and mushrooms and a few ounces of feta cheese. Combine a clean diet w/ a vigorous exercise program and your quality of life will improve dramatically.

In the spirit of full disclosure I retired 13 months ago and this has made a huge difference in the quality, duration and frequency of my exercise regimen. I hike w/ a pack in the hills and mountains at least twice/week and work out in my home gym for at least 1 hour/day when not hiking, keeping my heart rate over 130 BPM. I religously take 1 rest day/week w/ only 30 minutes of light cardio and lots of stretching.

Drink 1 gallon of water/day and get 8 hours sleep every night. A strong exercise routine has solved my sleep problems, even w/ waking every 2 hours to get rid of that gallon of water. A great diagnostic and goal is to descend to a sitting position from standing and to rise again to standing w/ out using your hands to assist at all. Works great for my favorite shooting position.

I turned 70 in Feb. and my strength, mobility and endurance are now better than 5 years ago. Old age sucks and must be resisted at every chance.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don't know what that diet is, but the one I've been on, I've lost 48 pounds in the last month and a half.. Low carb and the right foods.... wink Was at 252, now I'm weighing in at 204. Told my wife, I'm going to stop at 200 and just maintain.. Easy enough to do, just have to have will power... wink Good luck with your diet firstcoues.. I hope it goes well for you buddy..

You've lost 8 lbs per week over the past 6 weeks? Not be a skeptic, but that is quite a feat. Even the most stringent dieters and exercisers have a chore trying to get that done in 12 weeks. Wow!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

You will gain all that fat back as quick as you lost it when you go back to your regular diet. Also expect some gall stones and maybe gall bladder removal in your future. Maybe kidney stones too. Diabetes is right around the corner for you and once you get you got it. I know quite a few people who have been on that diet over and over and still will not change to a healthy diet to maintain their weight. Most of them are sugar addicts who are constantly hungry for more sugar.

Last edited by victoro; 05/08/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by victoro

You will gain all that fat back as quick as you lost it when you go back to your regular diet. Also expect some gall stones and maybe gall bladder removal in your future. Maybe kidney stones too. Diabetes is right around the corner for you and once you get you got it. I know quite a few people who have been on that diet over and over and still will not change to a healthy diet to maintain their weight. Most of them are sugar addicts who are constantly hungry for more sugar.

If you do eat high fat I would agree, but if you mainly eat vegetable, protein , fat in that order, then gall stones should not be an issue.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

If you do eat high fat I would agree, but if you mainly eat vegetable, protein , fat in that order, then gall stones should not be an issue.

Everybody I know who has been on this diet more than once had to have gall stones or gall bladder removal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Everybody I know who has been on this diet more than once had to have gall stones or gall bladder removal.

Switching from high carb to a high fat diet can mobilize existing gall stones. Because low carb diets increase the demand for bile from the gall bladder, increasing the flushing effect (and carrying gall stones with the increased flow, creating symptoms).

Statistically, however, gall stones are associated with low fat (low bile) diets, just as kidney stones are associated with low fluid diets.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

The triglyceride spike is another common concern that is not substantiated at all by the medical evidence.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Dutch
[quote=victoro]

Switching from high carb to a high fat diet can mobilize existing gall stones. Because low carb diets increase the demand for bile from the gall bladder, increasing the flushing effect (and carrying gall stones with the increased flow, creating symptoms).

Statistically, however, gall stones are associated with low fat (low bile) diets, just as kidney stones are associated with low fluid diets.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

The triglyceride spike is another common concern that is not substantiated at all by the medical evidence.
[/quote

I don't believe anything a diet doctor says about diet because they have been wrong for so long. People will try all kinds of crazy diets including low fat, high fat, low carb, high carb and many more. I know people who actually went on the cabbage diet. The overweight people I know will try any diet as long as they can lose weight quickly but then they return to their old diet and quickly gain all the weight back. My stupid GP put me on a no fat, no dietary cholesterol diet years ago to get my total cholesterol number down. He didn't know that since my HDL was extremely high (from exercise) and my triglyceride level was very low that I didn't need to get my total cholesterol number down. After 3 months of this diet I lost 15 lbs. of muscle and felt weak as a kitten. I quit going to this doctor and went back to my regular diet which included a lot of fat. I gained the muscle back pretty quickly. That was 30 years ago (74 now) and my weight is still what it was when I got out of HS. I believe that most overweight people know exactly why they are overweight but aren't willing to make any changes to their diet or lifestyle. If you eat right and eat when you're supposed to eat your blood sugar level will be stable and you'll feel much better.

Last edited by victoro; 05/08/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

As someone who has been on and off Ketogenics for the past two years, I can probably lend some advice:

If you are having cravings, you are not getting enough fat. We are conditioned to think we should avoid fats, but Keto is a whole new set of rules. Dutch summarized it well.

Here are some recipe sites for you:

https://ketodietapp.com/

https://www.ruled.me/

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.